Was refused to leave Thailand

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I see this one, and understand your frustrations, my reply was more of a general observation based on those I know who have been stopped in immigration.

At least he stopped you from exit, with no return.

Yes, being stuck in the rural part of Cambodia would be a nightmare for me. On the other hand, I would by then have a new passport in my pocket (with the stamp already transferred) and, most probably, would be able to enter through the neighboring checkpoint, the same day. And this is what the Thai officer was actually trying to prevent.

Edited by Hellfire

22 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Yes

Here is a great idea.  it makes hings very simple.

DO WHAT UBONJOE SAYS TO DO.

No one here will argue that he is not the resident expert on immigration.

In 12 years i have not seen any proof that he gave bad info.

As my wise father once told me and i told my daughter on numerous occassions and have found most reliable.

When you ask an exert for advise.  THEN YOU ARE A FOOL FOR NOT TAKING THAT ADVICE.

If you want to get screwed then go to every border crossing in the country.  You might get lucky.

You might also find yourself shown the door and have it locked behind you

• Like 2

It is obvious that Immigration want you to stop using Covid as an excuse to get extensions. Leave the country, apply for a legitimate visa, as we all have to do and come back in with the correct visa. It just means you might have to apply for a new visa from  Thai Embassy in another country, such as your own country.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

It is obvious that Immigration want you to stop using Covid as an excuse to get extensions. Leave the country, apply for a legitimate visa, as we all have to do and come back in with the correct visa. It just means you might have to apply for a new visa from  Thai Embassy in another country, such as your own country.

In case you did not know, Thailand immigration is not issuing any covid related extensions since 24.08.2022

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very bitter post.

It's the Thai government that kept providing covid extensions.

Why use silly terms such as "proper visa".

I guess he means ‘proper visa’ as opposed to some form of exemption... 

i.e. an Visa exemption stamp is not really a proper visa in the same way a Tourist Visa is... 

And yes, after the initial hiccups with potential overstay risk etc in 2020 the Thai government came up with a sensible and consideration option....   But, this has also allowed people to ‘game the system’....  

... as they say, don’t hate the player, hate the game...  In this case the Op was nearly caught short Immigration have also done him another favour by offering him sound advice....

Further sound advice is to get a ‘real visa’ / 'proper visa’.... and actual visa... because after staying so long on the exemptions eye-brows are going to be raised if he tries to enter without one. 

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Here is a great idea.  it makes hings very simple.

DO WHAT UBONJOE SAYS TO DO.

No one here will argue that he is not the resident expert on immigration.

In 12 years i have not seen any proof that he gave bad info.

As my wise father once told me and i told my daughter on numerous occassions and have found most reliable.

When you ask an exert for advise.  THEN YOU ARE A FOOL FOR NOT TAKING THAT ADVICE.

If you want to get screwed then go to every border crossing in the country.  You might get lucky.

You might also find yourself shown the door and have it locked behind you

Why are you getting angry with everyone on these ‘visa’ threads ?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess he means ‘proper visa’ as opposed to some form of exemption... 

i.e. an Visa exemption stamp is not really a proper visa in the same way a Tourist Visa is... 

And yes, after the initial hiccups with potential overstay risk etc in 2020 the Thai government came up with a sensible and consideration option....   But, this has also allowed people to ‘game the system’....  

... as they say, don’t hate the player, hate the game...  In this case the Op was nearly caught short Immigration have also done him another favour by offering him sound advice....

Further sound advice is to get a ‘real visa’ / 'proper visa’.... and actual visa... because after staying so long on the exemptions eye-brows are going to be raised if he tries to enter without one. 

Cannot find one sensible thing in your post. 

Facts..... amnesty and then covid extensions were provided by Thai government and that option was extended over and over.

After that was ended folk on AseanNow now asked about their options.

Border bounces (when borders were opened) were advised as an option..

Regarding fly out and back to places such as Phnom Penh, it was advised to at the very least obtain a tourist visa. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

There is a clear defined rule for visa exempt countries - no more than 2 entries via a land border per calendar year. Some people are unaware of this rule and get justly refused entry.

Correct, as I experienced pre-pandemic, after visiting Battambang in Cambodia for the third time within one year. The Immigration Officer in Aranyaprahtet was quite understanding when I explained I was unaware of the rule and that there was no airport in Battambang (only a military one). I had a current annual retirement visa extension with multiple re- entries. I was allowed re-entry to Thailand by land for the third time but with a warning to travel by air next time. I now live in Cambodia without all the Thai hassle.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The Immigration Officer in Aranyaprathet was not understanding. He was absurd. There is nothing abnormal about making as many side trips outside Thailand by land as you like when holding a valid multiple re-entry permit. That is what the re-entry permit is for. It is the only land crossing where you could possibly have run into such inanity.

I suspect his expression "with multiple reentries" doesn't mean "with a multiple re-entry permit" but " with multiple trips into and out of Thailand"?

The post is already a few days old and might have been solved already. We go often to Ban Laem and we know the procedure there, but something in Op story not add up. There is no reason why the IO would refuse you to exit. You got old passport, new passport and Letter, that is all they need to transfer. On the Cambodian side they put visa in your new passport and let you stamp in n out of Cambodia, then you head back to Thai side. Straight procedure. I only aware that for some tiny country like Maldives the Cambodians have refused the visa, because they have never seen the red Maldive passport.

43 minutes ago, visarunner said:

The post is already a few days old and might have been solved already. We go often to Ban Laem and we know the procedure there, but something in Op story not add up. There is no reason why the IO would refuse you to exit. You got old passport, new passport and Letter, that is all they need to transfer. On the Cambodian side they put visa in your new passport and let you stamp in n out of Cambodia, then you head back to Thai side. Straight procedure. I only aware that for some tiny country like Maldives the Cambodians have refused the visa, because they have never seen the red Maldive passport.

This is the working theory, as posited by Ubonjoe...

https://aseannow.com/topic/1278369-was-refused-to-leave-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=17739212

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why are you getting angry with everyone on these ‘visa’ threads ?

What I find upsetting is that people ask for advice get the advice and do not seem to act on the advice of the experts and are all looking fo the quick and shady way of doing things

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

What I find upsetting is that people ask for advice get the advice and do not seem to act on the advice of the experts and are all looking fo the quick and shady way of doing things

Ban Laem immigration officers are the shady ones. "Too many visas" isn't sufficient reason for them to deny him re-entry to Thailand and he hasn't used up his two land entries per calender year. 

And how shady is refusing to let him exit the country without a valid reason? An actual legal reason not just something they pulled out of their jacksy.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:58 PM, Lorry said:

I suspect his expression "with multiple reentries" doesn't mean "with a multiple re-entry permit" but " with multiple trips into and out of Thailand"?

The claim was "I had a current annual retirement visa extension with multiple re- entries." Taken at face value, this surely means he had a re-entry permit, not that he was requesting his third visa exemption. The word "current", I think, eliminates the possibility that he meant he had previously been in Thailand on a valid extension which lapsed before his trips.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:06 PM, Pla Simon said:

No need to fly anywhere, unless really wants to..

Hellfire is still entitled to a border bounce before the end of the calendar Year - regardless of how many covid stamps he has had.

Indeed, I just enjoyed my second bounce yesterday - after similarily being on covid stamps since the start.

Got 45 days without any problems atall @ O'smach - which can be extended for a further 30 in Thailand.

Did you need to show a ticket out of Thailand?

On 11/21/2022 at 6:56 AM, DrJack54 said:

Very bitter post.

It's the Thai government that kept providing covid extensions.

Why use silly terms such as "proper visa".

I have been staying in 5 bedroom council house with my deadbeat hubby and 3 children. The government just cut my allowance by 50%.

Thai visa poster.

Get a job.

You.

Very bitter post. The UK government kept providing the allowance. Why should she now get a job?

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

I have been staying in 5 bedroom council house with my deadbeat hubby and 3 children. The government just cut my allowance by 50%.

Thai visa poster.

Get a job.

You.

Very bitter post. The UK government kept providing the allowance. Why should she now get a job?

I was posting about covid extensions in reply to another poster.

Have no idea what your post means.

• Like 2

Hi again, guys

I have managed to get the stamps transferred to the new passport, so this time I will only present it (the new one) at the border. My question is if I should use the same border crossing this time (Ban Laem) which I was refused at? Is it risky? Because I know very well how to get there unlike other crossings which I never visited before. 

Edited by Hellfire

2 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Hi again, guys

I have managed to get the stamps transferred to the new passport, so this time I will only present it (the new one) at the border. My question is if I should use the same border crossing this time (Ban Laem) which I was refused at? Is it risky? Because I know very well how to get there unlike other crossings which I never visited before. 

I do not see why you should encounter a problem now at Ban Laem. However, your issue the last time was quite a surprise, not only to you but also to me.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 7:27 PM, Burma Bill said:

Correct, as I experienced pre-pandemic, after visiting Battambang in Cambodia for the third time within one year. The Immigration Officer in Aranyaprahtet was quite understanding when I explained I was unaware of the rule and that there was no airport in Battambang (only a military one). I had a current annual retirement visa extension with multiple re- entries. I was allowed re-entry to Thailand by land for the third time but with a warning to travel by air next time. I now live in Cambodia without all the Thai hassle.

I take it you like Cambodia better?  Where abouts?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, Hellfire said:

Hi again, guys

how did it go this time?

I was given a Covid extension of 60 days in 2020 in order to have proper documentation for retirement extension of my 90 day Non Imm./O visa.

Please clarify for me how someone can still be getting Covid extensions/exemptions 2 years later. Could this be considered circumventing the visa requirements? I thought that covid based extensions were conditional and the person trying to manipulate the system in order to stay here was bound for a rude awakening. I would not blame this on Immigration, this time.

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

I take it you like Cambodia better?  Where abouts?

I now live in happy retirement in visa hassle free Siem Reap. There are no tall hotel/condo buildings - by law nothing must exceed 5 floors/storeys the maximum height of Angkor Wat. One looks up to Buddha, not down onto Buddha!

• Thumbs Up 1