OK to enter Thailand on Tourist Visa then go straight to Savannakhet for Non O?

1 hour ago, Soutener said:

Might even look at London Embassy again, though I think they need to see funds in Thai bank not UK one.

At last, maybe I can offer you some better news. Using the Thai e-visa site for a single Non O visa to visit your Thai wife (which will be processed by the UK embassy) does not require money in a Thai bank. They will accept evidence of funds in a UK bank just fine. The application may be a bit of a hassle (mainly due to the poor quality of the website) but it should be doable. Even a multiple entry Non O to visit your wife ought to be possible. Note that the application will ask for proof of health insurance. That is bogus, and you can ignore it.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

At last, maybe I can offer you some better news. Using the Thai e-visa site for a single Non O visa to visit your Thai wife (which will be processed by the UK embassy) does not require money in a Thai bank. They will accept evidence of funds in a UK bank just fine. The application may be a bit of a hassle (mainly due to the poor quality of the website) but it should be doable. Even a multiple entry Non O to visit your wife ought to be possible. Note that the application will ask for proof of health insurance. That is bogus, and you can ignore it.

That is good news. I will put that top of the "to try" list. Wasn't really looking forward to getting elbowed in the ribs by busloads of Chinese and Russians, lol.

• 4 months later...

This is just an update to say that I got the one year visa very promptly in the UK by applying online and sending screenshot of my bank account with sufficient funds.

Mant thx to those who helped especially BritTim.

Application was a bit of a nightmare. I had to buy a scanner for passport pages, marriage certificate and use photoshop to squeeze stuff in. It took several days in all but at least I am here and settling in. 

Now I just have worry about all the rest of the immigrations demands. Like do people really report every time they spend a night or two away from home?

I am visiting my nearest city (Udon Thani) most weeks for a couple of days and staying in hotels. Do I really need to report every time I go?

Edited by Soutener
added a question

3 hours ago, Soutener said:

I am visiting my nearest city (Udon Thani) most weeks for a couple of days and staying in hotels. Do I really need to report every time I go?

Years ago, the answer was yes. The rules now are less absurd. The hotel will report your temporary stay. You only need to submit a fresh TM30 for your permanent address if you leave Thailand and return on a new permission to stay. Although a few immigration offices will disagree, officially you do not even need to do a new TM30 when returning from abroad with a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 6:25 PM, GregBow said:

Back to my comment about coming visa exempt would you need a return ticket to enter?

Bring your Thai marriage certificate. Tell the IO you need to discuss some very important matters before you apply for an O 

Have pics on phone you together

They won't hassle you.

3 minutes ago, Menken said:

Bring your Thai marriage certificate. Tell the IO you need to discuss some very important matters before you apply for an O 

Have pics on phone you together

They won't hassle you.

The onward ticket is virtually never an issue with Thai immigration on arrival.

It's the airline carrier at departure that may request seeing an onward flight 

Rent a ticket from various companies on net work fine. 

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The onward ticket is virtually never an issue with Thai immigration on arrival.

It's the airline carrier at departure that may request seeing an onward flight 

Rent a ticket from various companies on net work fine. 

I've only been asked once in 30 years so I'd agree. But I think if you had a marriage license it would be a non-issue if he didn't have an onward ticket. Personally, I would rather have the marriage license then the onward ticket and I think it's got more weight. Being either or.

I was though back in 1997 quite glad that I had saved that Bangladesh Biman ticket to Nepal