Do you need travel insurance for Visa on Arrival or tourist visa?

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

No, not compulsory.

thanks, i applied for a tourist visa but if it doesn't get approved in time i'll just do the visa on arrival, hopefully no issues

theres no more quarantines or anything right? my plan is to go straight to my condo after

i am just bringing proof of residency (lease), proof of funds (bank statement & cash), passport, return flight confirmation, proof of residence in canada (bank statement), i'll have travel insurance too but it's on my credit card benefits

Edited by dj230

54 minutes ago, dj230 said:

thanks, i applied for a tourist visa but if it doesn't get approved in time i'll just do the visa on arrival, hopefully no issues

theres no more quarantines or anything right? my plan is to go straight to my condo after

i am just bringing proof of residency (lease), proof of funds (bank statement & cash), passport, return flight confirmation, proof of residence in canada (bank statement), i'll have travel insurance too but it's on my credit card benefits

You don't need most of what you stated. 

When is your return flight ? 

Within 45 days of landing in Thailand,?

Why did you bother with tourist visa. 

Edited by DrJack54

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't need most of what you stated. 

When is your return flight ? 

Within 45 days of landing in Thailand,?

Why did you bother with tourist visa. 

The visa on arrival is spooking me out

is it 45 days now? I read the Canadian thailand embassy website which says it’s 30 days only now 

The language with how you’re only allowed 30 days stay, no extensions and that you’re only allowed to stay 90days maximum over a 6 month period is worrying me. Not sure if it’s just not translated correctly. 

I was on a visa exempt in 2021 June and extended cause covid until November 2022 (although leaving in October) 

wouldn’t this mean I’ve exceeded my 90 days per 6 month period? 

Just want to avoid getting rejected at immigrations and wasting $3000 on plane tickets. Plus with tourist visa I’d get 60 days + 30 extension which may be enough for me this trip. I have some business to do in Canada in spring of 2023

I’ve attached in quotes the words on the Thai Canada embassy website 

Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

• Canadian passport holders arriving by Air for tourism purposes may enter Thailand for up to 30 days without requiring a visa.
    • Canadian passport holders arriving overland/water from neighbouring countries for tourism purposes may enter Thailand for up to 15 days without requiring a visa.
    • In addition, you must have: a valid passport in good condition (with at least 6-months validity and empty visa pages), proof of confirmed air tickets confirming the 30 days-or-less stay in Thailand, no criminal history in Thailand, and at least $200 per person or $400 per family.
    • Extension of stay will not be granted.
    • Those holding Travel Documents for aliens (such as an alien passport or C.I.) have to apply for visa.

Edited by dj230

31 minutes ago, dj230 said:

The language with how you’re only allowed 30 days stay, no extensions and that you’re only allowed to stay 90days maximum over a 6 month period is worrying me. Not sure if it’s just not translated correctly.

All that is incorrect info.

You will have no issue at all entering visa exempt.

Currently that gives a 45 day stamp. The 45 days is a sweet deal that ends March 31 and reverts back to 30 days.

Both tourist visa and visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days cost 1900baht.

You may require an onward flight to show airline at departure.

There are options around this silly requirement. Such as rent a flight from eg "onward flight.com".

As for certain number of max days in a year or 6 months etc that is incorrect. 

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some years ago that was the case, or at least some travelers were posting about being refused entry at land borders for back to back visa exempt arrivals as been in Kingdom too long as a tourist.

I'd take as much supporting documentation as possible just in case one gets an irritable I O.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some years ago that was the case, or at least some travelers were posting about being refused entry at land borders for back to back visa exempt arrivals as been in Kingdom too long as a tourist.

I'd take as much supporting documentation as possible just in case one gets an irritable I O.

Indeed .. previously there were statements from posters and io along the lines of max 180 per calendar year. etc.

That no longer applies.

What was introduced is max 2 visa exempt entries via land per calendar year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

All that is incorrect info.

You will have no issue at all entering visa exempt.

Currently that gives a 45 day stamp. The 45 days is a sweet deal that ends March 31 and reverts back to 30 days.

Both tourist visa and visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days cost 1900baht.

You may require an onward flight to show airline at departure.

There are options around this silly requirement. Such as rent a flight from eg "onward flight.com".

Not trying to say you’re wrong but do you have any website that says this?

mainly the 45 day visa exempt, if this is the case I’ll just switch my flight now, 45 days is more than enough for the 2 flights I got on a sweet discount ($6000 down to $2000) 

I’ll call my travel insurance to see if they’ll cover me if I get denied by immigrations. 

If I didn’t stay for like 15 months literally up until a month ago I wouldn’t be worried, even I would be suspicious if I was an IO and some guy came on a visa exempt, stayed 15 months, left for 30-45days and came back to “tour” Thailand. 

I have all the documents showing proof of stay/accommodation/funds, etc. the only thing I’m worried about is if they’ll deny me just based off staying too long and not being a “tourist” in their eyes. 

Edited by dj230

13 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Not trying to say you’re wrong but do you have any website that says this?

It has been in the news more than once since the 45 day visa exempt entries started and many people have gotten the 45 days when entering the country.

This list of countries that qualify for visa a exempt entry show 45 days.

Edit: https://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/S__3809321.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has been in the news more than once since the 45 day visa exempt entries started and many people have gotten the 45 days when entering the country.

I know it was 45 days when I first came, but it said 45 days in the Thai visa application website and Canadian Thai embassies back then, now it’s changed to 30

do you think it’s a country by country bases? Maybe I’ll give the embassy an email to confirm. Would be bad to go thinking it’s 45 days and show up getting denied cause it’s 30 days and I don’t have the right flight out 

(by Thai visa application website I mean when you select “do I need a visa” and then put your country, it says how many days you can stay without a visa, now it is showing Canada is 30, but in 2021 when I first came I remember it said 45)

4 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I know it was 45 days when I first came, but it said 45 days in the Thai visa application website and Canadian Thai embassies back then, now it’s changed to 30

Read the edit I did for my post while you were writing you post.

The from the image. image.png.7d76968af9144df4c6e9c77fa338b6f6.png

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This list of countries that qualify for visa a exempt entry show 45 days.

Edit: https://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/S__3809321.jpg

thank you for the link, i'll book the ticket tonight, hope they don't slap me with the "you stayed for 15 months already" 

i have a few stories up my sleeve which are legitament, i'll bring a bunch of documents to back it up, have a concert ticket as well im taking the gf too so maybe that will help

do you know if they're still doing 30 day extensions for visa exempts? i was shocked when i read they aren't on the canadian/thai embassy website

Edited by dj230

15 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Cool so 75 days before I need to find a way to stay longer, that’s good enough for me 

thanks a ton! 

Yes 75 days.

After that you can do couple of border runs and reenter visa exempt and each entry can be extended by 30 days.

If you fly out and return I would recommend you obtain a tourist visa. 

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

Maybe I’ll give the embassy an email to confirm.

Good idea! It sounds like you have the same problem with your Thai embassy's website as the UK; that it is basically a mess, with new info. and regs. added without removing outdated regs. and info. That is why I always advise anyone needing up to date info. on visa and entry requirements to email the embassy before applying or travelling..

• Like 1

after discussing with a visa agent, they advised me it's safer to do a tourist visa, I already submitted the application for the tourist visa so hopefully it gets approved in time, if not I will take the flight and try to do the Visa on arrival, if it gets denied, i might just go to Vietnam until the tourist visa gets approved

they said the 15 month covid extention may pose some issues getting a visa on arrival, also, they noted that volunteer visa's also could be an issue (not that i have one, just mentioning it just incase someone else does)

Edited by dj230