Charter Court rules Bill amending Political Parties Act constitutional

snoop1130

E0C5D647-D15C-40C7-859C-D91F24C602EF-600x338.jpeg

The 9 judges of the Thai Constitutional Court has ruled unanimously that a Bill to amend the Political Parties Act is constitutional.

A petition challenging the constitutionality of certain provisions in the Bill was submitted to Parliament President Chuan Leekpai by Senator Somjate Boonthanom in August.

The senator maintained that several amendments to the Act, which have passed the House and the Senate, may not havebeen constitutional.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/charter-court-rules-bill-amending-political-parties-act-constitutional/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

I thought the sections in question were similar to what the Yingluck administration tried doing and which led to a coup after Sutheps protest, or did I read the sections wrong.

"These include the amendments to reduce party membership fees, to allow individuals sentenced to imprisonment, but who are not yet in prison, to stand for election."

That sure sounds like an Amnesty clause to me.

• Like 1

A government of criminals is ok as long as they bribed not to go to prison???? Should politicians not be a good example for the public? And the Court approves these things??? Partyfees for 20 THB??? I am happy they claimed APEC was a success, because it will probably never be held in Thailand anymore, with these kind of regulations for politicans 

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought the sections in question were similar to what the Yingluck administration tried doing and which led to a coup after Sutheps protest, or did I read the sections wrong.

"These include the amendments to reduce party membership fees, to allow individuals sentenced to imprisonment, but who are not yet in prison, to stand for election."

That sure sounds like an Amnesty clause to me.

I would recommend not attempting to apply logic or reason to Thai politics, especially when the former Prime Minister is the one carrying the water for the Coupmakers to ensure all is whitewashed to become "legal". This, ironically, was what Chuan was derided for when he was PM, his adherence to legal principles over practical consequences and unwillingness to make things work. Now he's somehow ended up being the guy putting up the Christmas windows for those who simply seize power and use it whenever they feel like and use people like him to make it all look nice to casual passers-by. Pathetic end to a hopeless political career, the Thai version of the Vampire Lestat.

• Like 1

Thailand has no future political hope... no-one is fit to run as a credible PM

Commerce is a joke... sub-contractor to the nations with foresight,

It will continue to slip in S.E.Asia and will continue to be known as a sex packers destination.

GDP propped up by it's millions of daughters working on their backs to bring in revenue.