Which visa for 3 month stay.

I have a friend (71 y.o.UK citizen) who is wishing to come and stay in Thailand for three months to give it a try as a longer term option with a future Non O application

He is currently here in Thailand, but will return to the UK next week. Plan is to rent a house or apartment, open a bank account etc.  I presume he will need to rent the house first in order to have an address to open the bank account.

I am not sure which visa would be best for him. Please can anyone advise?

Should he just arrive and get VOA and extend? Or better to apply for a single or multiple entry from the embassy in London.

Would it be possible to open a bank account with any of these visas nowadays? 

Many years ago I  opened one with a hotel address, but things are much tighter now.

TIA

He will get a 45 day visa exempt entry not a 30 day (normally 15 days) VOA cost 2000 baht since he is from the UK. The 45 days can be extended for 30 days.

It will not be easy to open a bank account with a visa exempt entry.

Hist best choice may be apply for a single entry tourist visa that will allow a 60 day stay.

He could also apply for a single entry non-o visa for retirement that would allow a 90 day stay that he could extend for one year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Would it be possible to open a bank account with any of these visas nowadays? 

Depends where he is planning to open bank account.

If in Bangkok that will be difficult with visa exempt or tourist visa. 

Suggest he use agent to open the account.

As for the non O retirement and subsequent extension, he would need to use money in the bank method for first extension.

Not a difficult process.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2022 at 9:35 AM, ubonjoe said:

He will get a 45 day visa exempt entry not a 30 day (normally 15 days) VOA cost 2000 baht since he is from the UK. The 45 days can be extended for 30 days.

It will not be easy to open a bank account with a visa exempt entry.

Hist best choice may be apply for a single entry tourist visa that will allow a 60 day stay.

He could also apply for a single entry non-o visa for retirement that would allow a 90 day stay that he could extend for one year.

Thanks Joe.

Update:

He arrived just before Christmas  on a visa exempt I presume, which per your advice he can extend. He says he didn't pay any money, but maybe the travel agent took care of that.

A few more questions. Where in your opinion is currently the best / easiest place to go to apply for a Single Entry visa with a view to change to a Non O based on retirement?

Is that still the best way o do it?

I recall when I did mine about seven or eight years ago that I had difficulties in Penang and ended up going to Vientiane. I will have to accompany him as his eyesight is bad.

Regarding money in the bank or monthly payment methods. He does not have a pension, so can do the THB 800,000 method. But can he do the THB65,000/ month method from savings and not from a pension?

TIA

6 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Regarding money in the bank or monthly payment methods. He does not have a pension, so can do the THB 800,000 method. But can he do the THB65,000/ month method from savings and not from a pension

He will need to use money in the bank method for his extension.

7 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Where in your opinion is currently the best / easiest place to go to apply for a Single Entry visa with a view to change to a Non O based on retirement?

Is that still the best way o do it

He can obtain the non O retirement in Thailand.

He can enter visa exempt.

He can obtain extension to visa exempt if required. 

He does not need a tourist visa.

What he does need is a Thai bank account in his name only.

An agent can do that which he should have organized last visit. 

After placing 800k in the Thai bank Account he can o rain a non O and subsequent extension..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He will need to use money in the bank method for his extension.

He can obtain the non O retirement in Thailand.

He can enter visa exempt.

He can obtain extension to visa exempt if required. 

He does not need a tourist visa.

What he does need is a Thai bank account in his name only.

An agent can do that which he should have organized last visit. 

After placing 800k in the Thai bank Account he can o rain a non O and subsequent extension..

Thanks for that. I did not realise that he could apply for a non O retirement  with a visa exempt entry.

I know of a reliable agent who might be able to do the bank account. Biggest problem at the moment is trying to find him suitable accommodation. It's high season here in Samui and most residential is taken.

23 minutes ago, phetphet said:

It's high season here in Samui and most residential is taken

Seems strange.

You would also need to check with Samui immigration that they issue non O retirement from visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

I vaguely recall that immigration office not being cooperative with that. 

Hopefully someone can advise.