Obtaining a Thai driving licence

Johnnie99

You don’t need an agency. Go to the nearest land transportation office with your passport, work permit or if your on another long term visa (don’t think you can with a tourist visa) and sign up. It’s a 2 day course, first day simple motor skills tests and 50 question computer test. 
next day driving test behind the building. 
- need your own vehicle 

- wear long pants (sometimes won’t let you in the building without pants on)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also look online for test prep questions. They will definitely help as some of them are stated a bit tricky on the test or with a small picture. You only have to get 45 out of 50 and that’s exactly what I got, but a couple foreigners that came down after me failed and had to go back the next day to do it again. Just saying, be prepared. 

You really don't need an agent.

If you have a UK d/l or similar, you can avoid parts of the riving test - but if you haven't got one anymore, I'm not sure what they will say.

If you are in the country on a non-imm visa the rule is you need a Thai driving licence - this doesn't seem to be particularly enforced but if you get in a serous incident it could invalidate your insurance etc.. You IDP if you had one is invalid if your home licence is.. You can renew your UK licence on line.

you need proof of address from immigration. If you have a work permit, the address on that should be good enough.

you'll need a licence for each class of vehicle - e.g. Motorbike and car.

Edited by kwilco

On 11/27/2022 at 5:16 AM, Makoshark said:

You definitely do NOT need your own car for a drivers license.

I have both a motorbike and car license.  I had to take a test but they give you their bikes to use if you don't have one.

My car license was just a written test

Both were done in BKK

Guess depends where you do it then. In Samui and Chumphon you do need to bring your own vehicles for the test. And you need to do a small drive test with your car also 

On 11/25/2022 at 9:51 AM, Johnnie99 said:

My British driving licence has expired and to renew it means delivery to a British address which is no longer an option.

Too bad you did not get a Thai Driving license when your British had not expired. If you have a valid DL you could just simply got a Thai by watching some videos and at take the physical tests, with a 100 baht medical certificate from a local clinic.

If you do not have a valid license you much go through driving and theoretical test. There is driving schools that has a license to do all, so you only need to go to DLT for make your license and physical test, everything is done at the driving school. My son recently took this route.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:36 AM, The Fugitive said:

Not Bangkok. Thai wife had neither licence. Asked at LTO and paid 2,000 baht for each licence. No tests required.

that's why they are such bad drivers, and why Thailand has the road death toll it has.

the best way would be to find a driving school and get the Thai licence from there, should start with a 2 year licence.

• Like 1