Travelling with a MTB

DrHoneydew

I picked up a medium quality carbon frame 29er in Pattaya and kind of want to upgrade it with high end components. I also want to travel around Thailand and it's neighboring countries, maybe a month or two in Cambodia, Vietnam and other places. Perhaps in Thailand too. Maybe Pattaya to Chiang Mai or Phuket or Krabi. - Then at some point, back to Canada.

I'm not 100% sold on upgrading and taking the bike with me or not. I'm not sure about the cost and logistics of traveling with a bike.

Anyone know the best/smartest thing to do? Is it safe to ride an expensive bike around and be seen regularly for a couple months in Cambodia or Vietnam? I have no idea and know very little about either country, but I'm not sure I'd do the same in some areas of Mexico. Had a used bike down there that was cheap but looked nice. Lots of people eye balling it and the security guards actually tried to steal it from a very large hotel I had facility access to. I know a few people who have had multiple bikes stolen.... so I'm weary and don't want to be mugged for the bike at a red light while out for a ride.

What about the costs of shipping and things to be aware of etc?

Cheers

Why upgrade components?  What do you have now, and do all the parts function correctly?  If you can wait to upgrade, parts should be cheaper in Canada.  Spares for high-end parts likely will be unobtainium.

Are you planning to tour by bike, or take your bike on trains/buses and mostly ride around towns?

If touring, does your carbon frame have rack attachments?  If not, carbon limits your bike-packing bag options.

If stowing it in bus/train baggage compartments, expect to have sacks of produce loaded atop your bike.

29 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Why upgrade components?  What do you have now, and do all the parts function correctly?  If you can wait to upgrade, parts should be cheaper in Canada.  Spares for high-end parts likely will be unobtainium.

Are you planning to tour by bike, or take your bike on trains/buses and mostly ride around towns?

If touring, does your carbon frame have rack attachments?  If not, carbon limits your bike-packing bag options.

If stowing it in bus/train baggage compartments, expect to have sacks of produce loaded atop your bike.

I'm just an enthusiast and want to build a good bike. Prices actually seem to be close enough for me between here and Canada. Riding in other countries is kinda cool. I won't stay more than a few months in Canada anyways before finding a new country to ride in.

Don't plan on touring.. Will use it as a daily driver around town, go shopping with etc. Maybe hit some trails if I can find them.

I've bicycle-toured throughout Thailand without issues, and have transported my bike via plane, train and bus. However I don't imagine I'd want all that hassle just for a daily driver given how cheap and easy it is to get around most SE Asian countries. Furthermore, it's clear you're worried about theft. I think I'd rather have a mediocre bike with low-end components lifted then the same with expensive high-end components.

On 11/26/2022 at 1:21 AM, DrHoneydew said:

Don't plan on touring.. Will use it as a daily driver around town, go shopping with etc. Maybe hit some trails if I can find them.

Would be too much trouble (for me) to lug a bike through airports and train stations and bus terminals for an around-town ride.  And too much worry about damaging the carbon frame under piles of luggage, or potential theft.

In this case, I'd pick up a cheapish folder that could be easily transported, then donated at the end of the trip.