13 minutes ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

Wow imagine living in one country yet posting on a forum based in another country,what next colour televisions and electric cars? ????

Must be exciting in Pnohm Penh.

Keep posting.

Edited by hotandsticky

Do you have internet banking with them? Checked  your emails in your online account to see if they have emailed you?

They recently contacted me via email in my online account to ask me to confirm I still lived in the UK and my domicile.

I think they try by that method for three times, then will try calling. It might be something like that, but it might be to do with covering their backsides for money laundering regs

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, keithkarmann said:

Thanks for that Fugitive, maybe I will find time for the phone call next time before I start moving transactions.

Did Santander contact you about this or was it instigated by you?

I got a call from Santander about a month ago wanting to check the same details,at first I said I didn`t know if it was them or not and the guy said he understood and that there would be a letter sent to my address (I use my sons in the UK) with a number to call them....with this I said better that we spoke then.....he certainly was from the Bank from the information he held....some of the questions were very intrusive (how much pension do you receive etc.) I said I wasn`t prepared to divulge and he said that`s fine I quite understand....it took around 20 minutes in total and in the end he said he was happy with the info I had given him and that I would receive a letter from the Bank but I could ignore it......my son sent me a screenshot of it.....everything has been fine with Santander since ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Must be exciting in Pnohm Penh.

Keep posting.

It’s a wonderful low rise French colonial city sitting lazily on the banks of the mighty Mekong River,known as the “Gem of South-East Asia” before the dark days of the Khmer Rouge.

Where a foreigner can open any kind of business he likes no problem,unlike xenophobic Thailand.

33 minutes ago, petermik said:

I got a call from Santander about a month ago wanting to check the same details,at first I said I didn`t know if it was them or not and the guy said he understood and that there would be a letter sent to my address (I use my sons in the UK) with a number to call them....with this I said better that we spoke then.....he certainly was from the Bank from the information he held....some of the questions were very intrusive (how much pension do you receive etc.) I said I wasn`t prepared to divulge and he said that`s fine I quite understand....it took around 20 minutes in total and in the end he said he was happy with the info I had given him and that I would receive a letter from the Bank but I could ignore it......my son sent me a screenshot of it.....everything has been fine with Santander since ????

Thanks for the reassurance, definitely appears to be kosher! Just trying to work out their starting point. It seems it could be; a) Abroad address, b) Abroad telephone number, c) Abroad transactions. All of these are permitted of course according to their Customer Services. What I forget to do is extend my notification periods of being abroad. Suspect others might be doing the same? 

I opened an account with Santander earlier this year.  Confirmed when opening that I could live in Thailand 9+ months of the year.  Only 'residence' requirement was that I was UK taxpayer, but not checked as far as I know.  I used my UK address when opening the account.  To change to Thai address I had to show 'proof of address', which I did not have , so will have to wait until next visit to UK..  I was told that when I had Thai address,  replacement credit cards, etc. would be sent to Thailand, but that, beware,  some cards will not allow this, including, I think, Mastercard.

Experience of living in Thailand and keeping UK bank accounts has been that only problems are when you need a new credit/ ATM card, which not all will send to Thailand.

I only wish there was a Thai bank that I could use that would give a credit card that I could use anywhere, and make payments/transfers to overseas accounts, and had a working on -line banking.  Any suggestions?

I have suffered with Kasikorn for years as they are in my local town, and at least their cards work in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

It’s a wonderful low rise French colonial city sitting lazily on the banks of the mighty Mekong River,known as the “Gem of South-East Asia” before the dark days of the Khmer Rouge.

Where a foreigner can open any kind of business he likes no problem,unlike xenophobic Thailand.

...and yet you still have to spend your time posting on here.. .

It didn't look that low-rise in August and it was clearly struggling to recover from Covid.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, phetphet said:

Do you have internet banking with them? Checked  your emails in your online account to see if they have emailed you?

They recently contacted me via email in my online account to ask me to confirm I still lived in the UK and my domicile.

I think they try by that method for three times, then will try calling. It might be something like that, but it might be to do with covering their backsides for money laundering regs

That's probably the reason but do not recall getting any messages but will check again.