When to call Ambulance in Pattaya

aussiexpat

I just experienced an Indian tourist fall off his barstool and start convulsions on the floor. We got him up and he wasn't speaking and was shaking. He seemed to come good, but wouldn't answer any of my questions (he was sitting near me so I know he spoke perfect english)

Bar staff and customers gave him water and sat him down, but I was saying call an Ambulance. A minute later he collapsed again and I had to hold him up from falling off his stool. He then only answered one of my 10 questions, like has this happened before, where do you live, do you want Ambulance, do you want hospital, etc... the only question he answered was RUOK, he said no I don't have a headache, so nothing related to the question (he had a huge bruise on forehead from falling off stool onto tiles so concussion?) 

I tried to take him to hospital 200m away but he refused and walked off.

When do we call Ambulance if person is in this condition?

Note: he wasn't drunk, he was drinking only water before this

Edited by aussiexpat

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I get that which is why I didn't call and land him with a huge bill.  Are we just to leave him to chance and hope he doesn't die rather than call an Ambulance like in most countries

I'm thinking of wearing a sign saying please call Ambulance if potentially dying, I'll pay

Here in Pattaya I have a sign "Please don't call the ambulance" ????

He still could walk. But if he is unconscious this is of course a different story. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

in a case like that call the government medical emergency number 1669.

There is no financial liability for the person who calls.

There are also numbers for ambulances linked to specific private hospitals but call those only if patient or family member is able to state they want/can afford this

And yes, from your description, calling an ambulance would have been appropriate. If after ambulance arrived patient came to and refused hospitalization, and/or  response team decided not necessary, that is not on you.

If really nervous about it do not give your (real)name when you call

Bystanders call ambulances all the time

BTW sounds like he had grand mal seizures. Might have been an known, ongoing seizure disorder or something new. Immediately after such seizures people are in what is called a "post-ictal" state and cannot think clearly. They may also not remember what it was that happened to them.

What I see here if it is a farang or other tourist they normally send you an ambulance from a private hospital - mostly I see Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

This is certainly an interesting topic. You could be legally responsible if you don't help when he can no longer make decisions for himself. But wait a minute - legally the owner/manager/staff of the bar would be responsible first.

I can tell you none of that was ever a consideration. We just wanted him to live because we thought he was dying

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Why would anyone call the police instead of Ambulance?

You were so concerned about the responsibility - let the police take action and take responsibility... they know who to call and hopefully have better judgment than you do as you seem rather unsure as to what to do.. I would be equally unsure... 

18 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

You were so concerned about the responsibility - let the police take action and take responsibility... they know who to call and hopefully have better judgment than you do as you seem rather unsure as to what to do.. I would be equally unsure... 

I was never concerned about the responsibility, never gave it a thought. That only came up in this thread hours after the incident and I said I would have been happy to pay for ambulance if I called it (hospital bill not so much)

I was holding him up to stop him falling again (while he was violently shaking) and asked at least 3 times to call an Ambulance (as I couldn't). Everyone ignored the request, hence the question in this thread

Edited by aussiexpat

20 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I was never concerned about the responsibility, never gave it a thought. That only came up in this thread hours after the incident and I said I would have been happy to pay for ambulance if I called it (hospital bill not so much)

I was holding him up to stop him falling again (while he was violently shaking) and asked at least 3 times to call an Ambulance (as I couldn't). Everyone ignored the request, hence the question in this thread

So, what was the result? How long did you stay with him? Did any help arrive? And of what sort? What was his problem? 

15 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I was holding him up to stop him falling again (while he was violently shaking) and asked at least 3 times to call an Ambulance (as I couldn't). Everyone ignored the request.

I fully understand you. But the ambulance is just the beginning of the expenses. It is like this. If you die - one of the first questions will be who takes care and pays for your funeral. It is sad but reality and somehow understandable. In the end you are mostly a paying customer. 

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

in a case like that call the government medical emergency number 1669.

There is no financial liability for the person who calls

Thanks, have now added 1669 to my phone as I had no clue what number to call

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

But, you said he walked off? Really, just let it be.

He also walked off a first time and then collapsed and had to be carried back to his seat. Who knows what happened 50 metres down the road?

That's the point, in Aussie you call an Ambulance, he goes to hospital for tests, likely stays overnight for monitoring....here no-one seemed to want to get involved, just let him walk away...he had no idea what was going on (the bruise on his face was massive from the first barstool fall, never mind the reason for the first fall)

Just hope if something happens to me I'm with a friend who will call an Ambulance as strangers don't seem to want to?

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

But, you said he walked off? Really, just let it be.

So please elaborate, enlighten us on what you would have done.

I'm sure you have scores of stories you tell by the campsite to the boys how you saved/save Thailand  on a daily basis ...