Troubling looking electrical wires, how bad really is it?

1 hour ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

I would suggest wearing rubber shoes in the shower and possibly even a rubber wetsuit?

Like this4E951A16-26D1-4330-BF39-C7C41009FD51.thumb.jpeg.78d1c8b560d496a10669b0d84a6de07e.jpeg

or this?2064734B-5D9F-4FC0-AFC0-39D1EC8646BD.thumb.jpeg.030394c77b9b334495c85d82db3a1c1d.jpeg

having the top version and having worn it enough times that it needs replacing, I can tell you that after using it I needed a shower without it.

• Haha 1

OK, as others have noted, it's rough, but nobody is going to die immediately.

What I would do: -

There's loads of spare flexy water pipe so you could move the shower unit up and left a bit so the sheath of the cable can now go inside the shower unit. Splodge a bit of silicone around the cable entry if you wish.

Also, verify that the earth wire from the shower goes somewhere sensible, like an earth rod.

That shower doesn't appear to have a built-in RCD/RCBO, does the breaker box have any earth-leakage protection (if not sure please post a photo)?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

But TBH I would check the earth connection first!

I have been told if the earth is not connected then you will not get hot water. This does have a EELS electric earth leakage sensor, i took the trouble to check Joven showers out on Lazada. 

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That shower doesn't appear to have a built-in RCD/RCBO, does the breaker box have any earth-leakage protection (if not sure please post a photo)?

RCB is THE live saver.

"Joven" made in Malaysia?

Hard to believe that it doesn't a built in RCB.

The installation is dirt ugly and somewhat careless but no immidiate danger.

This model looks close and has a sensitive 10 mA "ELCB".

https://joven-electric.com/product/instant-water-heater/sc33-series/sc33p

But it's up to the OP to examine. It has a 2012 energy label so not that new.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Also, verify that the earth wire from the shower goes somewhere sensible, like an earth rod.

Yeah I'll need to track that down outside or find the land lord. Good idea many people pointed out.

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah I think I've seen that button on other models (it said press to test or something?) but this seems to be the cheapest entry level Joven and is missing one. 

There's a picture of the breaker but I don't know what to look for. If there's an earth maybe it's hidden in the back and I nee to track it down outside.

IMG_0877.png

I like the fact that whoever installed it appears to have had an old shower hose lying around and has recycled that as an inlet hose, although it's about a metre too long hence the convoluted fitting ...

Is this one of the heaters with the RCB underneath?

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

There's a picture of the breaker but I don't know what to look for.

Can you get a closer photo of the actual breakers, it does look like you have no earth leakage protection ???? 

If you could do a photo with the lid off the box we can get an idea of what's actually been wired, it LOOKS a neat job, but looks can be deceiving ???? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Looks like the Joven 500:

Yeah it's Joven 500 but from 2012. It says clearly on the side it needs to be connected to ground and has warnings etc...

I'll go outside a little later and track down the wires. This is a crappy little wooden cabin (weekend getaway) which is built to the bare minimum of standards in all regards so you can expect anything.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you could do a photo with the lid off the box we can get an idea of what's actually been wired, it LOOKS a neat job, but looks can be deceiving ???? 

You mean remove the metal cover? I don't think I even have a screwdriver here so I'll need to track one down.

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

My main concern, as pointed out by the poster above is the apparent lack of an RCB, I think that is what it is called. The button on the shower front that when pressed ( to test the system ) cuts off the electric.

Sometimes the button is underneath, like the one I had.

Problem is the unit is rented, unless OP wants to buy one with safety cut out and take it when he leaves ( which is what I'd do ).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

No I just see the water pipes underneath.

If it had a button it'd be obvious. No way I'd be using one without a safety cut off, regardless if earthed or not. You can buy your own unit for not too much and change it with that one- change back when you leave and take it with you. Just make sure it's not too powerful or it may trip the circuit breaker. Get one same power as the existing one if hot enough.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

If it had a button it'd be obvious. Sorry, but no way I'd be using one without a safety cut off, regardless if earthed or not. You can buy your own unit for not too much and change it with that one- change back when you leave and take it with you.

If you don't mind could you please post a picture of a unit which has this? I don't exactly know what you're referring to. One of these units isn't more than 2000 baht I think so I'm happy to buy a new one if I need to.

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

If you don't mind could you please post a picture of a unit which has this? I don't exactly know what you're referring to. One of these units isn't more than 2000 baht I think so I'm happy to buy a new one if I need to.

I'm not in Thailand so can't help you. If you go to one of the big stores you'll see plenty on display, and the safety cut off button will be obvious. If wanted, get a popular brand like Hitachi.

I guess you'll have to pay the electrician yourself, unless your landlord is super helpful.

If needing more technical advice I'll leave it up to Crossy.