Documents required for change of 90 day non-imm O visa to visa based on retirement

5 hours ago, Fore Man said:

Can a person apply for an extension of stay based on retirement using a 45-day visa on arrival, or must it only be done with a non-O visa obtained from outside Thailand?

With a visa exempt entry you can obtain a 30 day extension.

If you have a non O retirement obtained in Thailand or outside of Thailand you can obtain a 12 month extension of stay. 

Edited by DrJack54

11 hours ago, Fore Man said:

Can a person apply for an extension of stay based on retirement using a 45-day visa on arrival, or must it only be done with a non-O visa obtained from outside Thailand?

You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration and then during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

Requirements for the non-o visa is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The best time to apply for extension is couple of weeks prior to expiry of your 90 day stamp.

BTW you would be applying for a 12 month extension of stay. 

Not a retirement visa. 

The best time to apply for extension is after your 800k baht has been in the Thai bank for at least two months.  It is always better in this situation to apply as soon as possible.  All immigration offices allow you to apply 30 days before your permission to stay expires, some allow as early as 45 days (e.g., Phuket).  You lose nothing by applying as early as possible and you gain maneuvering room to correct any unforeseen problems that may emerge.  Earlier is always better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

The best time to apply for extension is after your 800k baht has been in the Thai bank for at least two months

I didn't express it clearly.

What I meant was, best to apply for extension AT LEAST couple of weeks early. 

Reason being if immigration pulls a stunt and wants bank statements etc. 

• Like 2

So if I (American) were to lose my Non-O by failing to (using my single re-entry permit) enter and renew before its drop dead date, the start-from-scratch plan would be to enter visa exempt as soon as reasonable, apply for 90 day Non-O, then apply to extend it for 12 months, and at that point I'm back where I started, correct? (More than enough money would always be in the bank.) Thanks.

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

So if I (American) were to lose my Non-O by failing to (using my single re-entry permit) enter and renew before its drop dead date, the start-from-scratch plan would be to enter visa exempt as soon as reasonable, apply for 90 day Non-O, then apply to extend it for 12 months, and at that point I'm back where I started, correct? (More than enough money would always be in the bank.) Thanks.

Yes.  

Possibly you may be able to avoid start-from-scratch.  You can renew your extension as early as one month before your permission to stay expires.  At some immigration offices you can renew your extension as early as 45 days before your permission to stay expires.  If possible to do this you could avoid the extra trips to immigration to apply for your in-country Non-O, and a return trip when it's finally approved, not to mention the extra cost of 2,000 baht.