United Nations recommends Great Barrier Reef be added to World Heritage 'in danger' list

Scott

An aerial photo of bright coral on the Great Barrier Reef near a beach, right next to the lush Daintree Rainforest.

A UN delegation has again recommended the Great Barrier Reef be added to the World Heritage 'in danger' list, and urged "ambitious, rapid and sustained" action on climate change to protect the site.

The UNESCO report comes after an official visit to monitor the reef in March, and recommends the Commonwealth and Queensland governments both adopt stronger emissions reductions policies consistent with stopping warming at 1.5C.

It cites frequent mass bleachings and increased water acidity among the increased threats to corals, impacts which can be attributed to uncurbed emissions.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-29/united-nations-queensland-great-barrier-reef-danger-report/101705908

ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

• Thanks 1

This is mainly down to the cane cockies loading up their sugar cane crops with high nitrogen fertilisers and it leaches into the sea. They promised to stop it decades ago but ...

Also land clearing on the coastal fringe allows mud to wash into the ocean which damages the coral.

• Thanks 1

Should have been added last review about 18 months ago but the government at the time somehow headed it off. While Labor's policies are no doubt better for the environment I don't see any government having the balls to do what it takes to save the reef, if that is actually possible now. And I suspect that is now a big if, and has been for some time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No boys while the cane farmers & beef farmers have been adding chemicals & soil erosion for 100 yrs it is the explosive growth of industrialized communist china in the last 25 yrs that is destroying the atmosphere, with India about to follow the same path. We are the ones that buy all the plastic & other rubbish, therefore you are the culprit along with me and anybody else that leads an overindulgent consumer lifestyle. I try to make amends by driving a low carbon LPG vehicle, composting, recycling and not buying rubbish. Everybody loves to blame somebody else... buts its you & me destroying the world. Think global .. try and act Local. 

• Love It 1

In Thailand , everything is packed or wrapped in Plastic .

Stop that . It does not do anything good .

How many thousands of tons of plastic rubbish produced in Thailand arrive in the ocean every year ?

Not to talk about the harmful burning of that stuff .

Why do they not replace plastic bottles with tetra - packs, ( waxed paper ) , as it is done for fruit juice ?

2 hours ago, Tailwagsdog said:

No boys while the cane farmers & beef farmers have been adding chemicals & soil erosion for 100 yrs it is the explosive growth of industrialized communist china in the last 25 yrs that is destroying the atmosphere, with India about to follow the same path. We are the ones that buy all the plastic & other rubbish, therefore you are the culprit along with me and anybody else that leads an overindulgent consumer lifestyle. I try to make amends by driving a low carbon LPG vehicle, composting, recycling and not buying rubbish. Everybody loves to blame somebody else... buts its you & me destroying the world. Think global .. try and act Local. 

It doesn't have to be a case of either/or. It could be both. And, in fact, it is. And CO2 and other greenhouse gases aren't only coming from China, are they?

• Like 1