IKEA kitchen assembly DIY or let them do it?

OneMoreFarang

• 5 months later...

Hello i was just wondering if you decided to install the Ikea cabinets yourself, had Ikea do it, or went elsewhere. I just finished an Ikea installation myself and went slow and did everything correctly. The job came out perfect but quite a bit honestly a lot of small things ended up being a lot of work. I tend to do jobs to the best of my ability and am quit meticulous so if some one doesn't enjoy hard work an a bit of hassle I still would suggest going with the Ikea installers. What was your experience?

• Like 2

As a side note, please consider purchasing a bunch of these counter supports fron ikea to level out the top of you counters if you are using granite or quartz. I don't think ikea puts them in your design but they are inexpensive and made for the ikea system.

https://www.ikea.com/th/th/p/fixa-worktop-support-fitting-galvanised-90274627/

fixa-worktop-support-fitting-galvanised__0734546_pe739497_s5.jpg.webp

• Thanks 2

On 6/4/2023 at 7:45 AM, poobear said:

As a side note, please consider purchasing a bunch of these counter supports fron ikea to level out the top of you counters if you are using granite or quartz. I don't think ikea puts them in your design but they are inexpensive and made for the ikea system.

https://www.ikea.com/th/th/p/fixa-worktop-support-fitting-galvanised-90274627/

fixa-worktop-support-fitting-galvanised__0734546_pe739497_s5.jpg.webp 19.25 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks, they look like a good addition.

Because of the very modular design from IKEA, I ordered some, mostly inexpensive, parts in advance to see them in real and decide if I want to use them or not.

I.e. I looked at this shelf system. I like it.

The following is a set. They are also available part by part.

https://www.ikea.com/th/en/p/kungsfors-susp-rail-shlf-dish-dra-wll-gr-stainless-steel-ash-s29254336/

Now that I have finished my Ikea kitchen I would like to offer a few last comments. The Bodbyn white series and the final look and qualities of the doors, drawers cabinet faces. ect is excellent and as good as anything else I see here in Hua Hin. Second and the real reason I am writing the is to suggest going with drawers on the base cabinets whenever possible. The drawers work perfect and hold a lot more than the cabinets ever did. Also the bamboo inserts and felt  matts for the drawers are well wort the money. Good Luck with your project

• Thanks 2

So by assembling and installing an IKEA kitchen you have violated Thai Immigration Law.

Per posts from another thread on this forum:

https://aseannow.com/topic/109416-thai-english-building-terms/

On 1/31/2008 at 1:06 PM, Frotting said:

If you look on the Visas forum you'll find links to info that tells all you need to know. But the bottom line is this:

There are restrictions on foreigners doing most things that Thais can do (immigration has the whole list) and among the list is carpentry, bricklaying, labouring, etc. Which means you'll not get a work permit to do any of the jobs involved in house construction.

The term 'work' in Thailand includes any activity apart from sleeping, so even if you're building a wall and not getting paid for it - you are classed as 'working' under Thai law. It's a shame really as this has prevented some voluntary workers doing a lot of potential good in Thailand.

Having said that, I'm building a house on land belonging to my wife, and have done a bit myself (including the paperwork like design drawings, etc, but I'm not sure if this is classed as work as I could have done it outside Thailand). So far nobody has bothered me, but then our land really is in the country half-way up a mountain.

So I suppose it depends where you are. But be warned there are very serious implications if you get caught. Unpaid work is still work in Thailand.

On 10/28/2008 at 9:06 PM, phuketchap said:

i can confirm that you arent supposed to do any work at all regardless of whether you are being paid. i am having a house of my own built in phuket and love getting stuck in helping my staff. after a silly dispute my thai neighbour threatened to call the police to check if i had a work permit. i thought that because it was my own house i was safe BUT i double checked with my lawyers who advised me i cant do any work because i am taking work away from a thai person. This makes me wonder if i can even cut the grass when the house is done or if i need to get a thai to do it?

I also know of a guy who was caught working on his project without a work permit (which you cant get anyway for building work) and he was arrested the same day. He was forced out the country in 5 days and his passport blacklisted. He tried to re-enter and got picked up twice and refused entry. He has so much tied up in thailand but cant even come back to try sell or finalise his dealings. Thats a disaster for anyone....

There are numerous videos and posts on YouTube, forums such as this and The Thaiger where Farang are obviously doing work without work permits.

For example, based on Phuketchap's post this Bloke from the Netherlands,  Maarten Munnikm, with a Youtube channel "Maarten Munnik, off-grid in Thailand" "https://youtu.be/e4WBW3_Q9L0 theoretically could be deported and blacklisted.

I apologize but this is a potential minefield for ANY Farang trying to build a life in Thailand.

No wonder all I see are Farang sitting on barstools watching the world walk by them.

I can see how many might "fly under the radar". That is, until some Thai has a fit and reports the Farang because he/she stepped on their toes.

Or their Thai girlfriend decides Old Daddy is no longer needed.

Is there anyone with any clarification on this?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2023 at 8:18 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Defeated by the questions???

IMG_5558.jpeg.c380ea40cc3a778585bb7b300cbbe9a9.jpeg

you are either pulling someone’s leg or of an intellectual capacity measured in low double digits 

tools,spare tire, jack did not work

flour and water did not work

i do not claim any intellectual capacity lol

Edited by Mang Gon
edit