Iranian protesters celebrate World Cup defeat, as fears surround players’ return

Scott

image.png

— 

Iran’s World Cup defeat to the United States was met by cheers and celebrations in Tehran and other Iranian cities on Tuesday evening, as protesters hailed the country’s exit from the tournament as a blow to the ruling regime.

The nation was eliminated from the tournament in Qatar after its 1-0 loss on Tuesday, ending a campaign that has been overshadowed by anti-government protests that have raged for months at home.

But there are concerns about the safety of the Iranian players returning home across the Persian Gulf, after the team initially refused to sing Iran’s national anthem before their first game in an apparent show of solidarity with demonstrators.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/30/middleeast/iran-protests-world-cup-defeat-celebrations-intl/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

Will never understand why people get so excited, mostly in negative way. It is just a GAME, nothing more. Some win, some loose.

Now I read about Moroccan people burning down "my country", as they won a game.  

Not only in Iran you should fear for your live, same as in South America when a country loose. You could get killed being a member of the national soccer team and loose.

Qatar promised for each player a million $ car if they would win from Argentina. Supporters were hired from Libanon as Qatar doesnt have real supporters. Hey, come on get real.

It is just a f... game

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tug said:

I hope the Iranian team and their families are ok I’d be delighted to see the Iranian people get their country back from the mullas and rejoin the world 

Nice point. I've had several Iranian exchange students in my bachelor and masters classes.

More than half were very arrogant. One young man, who came from a high level family was complained about continuously for his rudeness and arrogancy and bossy attidues, and in reality he had no authority whatever in the class room.

I and other professors counselled him several times. His response was more arrogance and threats.

The police were called after one incident and he was deported the same day. 

Another arrogant young man seriously insisted that he wanted a lecturer who was not American. He was told that he could make such demands. He went to a couple of non American lecturers and demanded to join their classes. They refused because their courses were not part of his degree requirements. He went home.

• Haha 1