Windows 11 hangs on boot, but not reboot, fix by disabling fast startup.

Digitalbanana

Why does Windows even have fast startup enabled as recommended in control panel? If you power off then try to power on the PC will never start with fast startup enabled on my laptop, cannot even access BIOS. Only after hours of trying I got the PC to start again, and  disabling fast startup and its been fine since.

Seriously Microsoft, what the heck is this feature?

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Seriously, why do people continue to shell out good money for a bug-ridden, hacker-prone OS when they can download a free Linux-based OS with none of those problems?

you're speaking like Linux is not bug-ridden and hacker-prone

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fdsa said:

And nowhere near as user friendly as W11.

If you let your Windows do its job, don't 4.ck around with it, do regular updates, then you should have no problems.....I don't on two PCs which I built myself years ago and were not supposed to have W11.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Seriously, why do people continue to shell out good money for a bug-ridden, hacker-prone OS when they can download a free Linux-based OS with none of those problems?

I've told you this before: GNU/Linux distros are too technical for the average user and not as feature-rich as Windows, especially when it comes to plug-and-play and the unfairly maligned proprietary drivers or applications. 

44 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Seriously Microsoft, what the heck is this feature?

This article explains it. It saves the machine state to the hard disk so that when you reboot you don't have to start from scratch. I guess some users like that, especially if they're on older machines that take a while to boot up...

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup-on-windows-11

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Where exacty is Fast Startup in Control Panel. I cannot find it.

See the article I posted above. I think it's only for laptops because my Intel NUC don't have that option. Or maybe that's because I disabled hibernation via elevated command prompt.

Edited by Lemsta69

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Just read the link, and got 1 minute into it when it says 'Go to Hardware & Sounds' in Control Panel. I do not have that, even on my NUC.

They're showing the "view by category" setting in CP. If you're using the "view by ... Icons" setting it'll be under "Power Options"

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

See the article I posted above. I think it's only for laptops because my Intel NUC don't have that option.

I do not have Hardware & Sounds option in my Control Panel, possibly because of this Hibernation thing. I do not use the Power Button to Shut Down, Sleep or Hibernate. I either go to Start Menu or there maybe is a button on my Keyboard to do it. The PC is 2 metres away from me and I can't be a4sed to reach that far.  555

My NUC takes maybe 30 seconds to boot up. I can wait that long.

Edited by KannikaP

3 hours ago, fdsa said:

I have not experienced either problem, and I have had Linux as my OS of choice for about 8 years, IIRC.

Why would a hacker bother with Linux, when there are bigger and juicier targets of Windows and Mac to attack?

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've told you this before: GNU/Linux distros are too technical for the average user and not as feature-rich as Windows, especially when it comes to plug-and-play and the unfairly maligned proprietary drivers or applications. 

My apologies if I don't remember your previous post on another thread.

I am not technically competent in the terms you are using, and presumably have no need for the drivers and apps you mention. My son guided me through the OS installation process for Ubuntu and Linux Mint, before we settled on MX Linux. As far as I am concerned, it has performed flawlessly ever since.

OTOH, how many threads do you think you could find on ASEAN beefing about some Windows malfunction? My guess would be dozens.

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

That's ancient history. I've been using Ubuntu for 12 years now.