Using Thai Banking App on a US Sim

I use SCB Easy App on my phone in Thailand.  Besides all the usual easy-to-do things on the app, I can make international transfers to my US account.  I'm getting ready to do a long stay in the US so I'll be using a US Sim, but the same phone.

Does anyone have experience with swapping out SIMs and still being able to use the banking app, while in the US (or UK)?

I use Kbank app on my Samsung phone. The app still works fine when in the UK (or elsewhere) whether it has a Thai, UK or any other sim card. So long as there's data it works. Never had to do a OTP since installing the app. Web browser based transactions are different from the app and do require OTP to the Thai sim number registered to the account. 

10 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I use Kbank app on my Samsung phone. The app still works fine when in the UK (or elsewhere) whether it has a Thai, UK or any other sim card. So long as there's data it works. Never had to do a OTP since installing the app. Web browser based transactions are different from the app and do require OTP to the Thai sim number registered to the account. 

You can't do web browser online banking with Kbank, unless you're Thai. That was what I was told at Kbank when I also wanted to have web browser online banking access. Foreigners can only use the Kbank app.

I use Bangkok Bank app in the US. The only time I  needed an OTP is when I  added a new recipient and want to save the recipient info for future use. The recipients that are already in my saved info, did not require any OTP validation to send money. 

49 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You can't do web browser online banking with Kbank, unless you're Thai. That was what I was told at Kbank when I also wanted to have web browser online banking access. Foreigners can only use the Kbank app.

Not true. I've been using web browser banking with Kbank since 2004 and still do at times. Works in web browser on laptop or phone. AFAIK it's the same login credentials (mine are saved in browser). 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Not true. I've been using web browser banking with Kbank since 2004 and still do at times. Works in web browser on laptop or phone. AFAIK it's the same login credentials (mine are saved in browser). 

So the Kbank staff lied to me then.

How can we even log in? The only options to Log In is K-biz, K-Cyber Invest, K-Cyber Trade & K-Corporate Connect: https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal All which have nothing to do with logging into normal online banking.

Edited by bbi1

19 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So the Kbank staff lied to me then.

How can we even log in? The only options to Log In is K-biz, K-Cyber Invest, K-Cyber Trade & K-Corporate Connect: https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal All which have nothing to do with logging into normal online banking.

Yes they did. See below. Access using K-Biz with your username and password. These are both savings accounts with bank books and debit cards. 

image.png.c90acd295f7901bb1399786732754211.png

image.png.d0a518849bc90585624b1de67adeee63.png

Edited by soi3eddie

9 minutes ago, norbra said:

You must use K biz,it gives access to personal banking

But you need to visit a branch to get a username / password, right?

For the records I opened an account with Kasikorn earlier this week, though I did not get online access, with the explanation given that it was due to the long holiday, apparently whoever handles this was shut down, and I could come back after the holiday (Tuesday next week).

4 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I'm getting ready to do a long stay in the US so I'll be using a US Sim

If at all possible, get dual SIM. I use eSIM so that I can have my Thai number when abroad. Not only may there be issues where your bank will have to send you an OTP code, e.g. online purchases (“3D Secure”) or some special actions like transfer money to new accounts, but you may also have things tied to your Thai phone  number, and in Thailand, updating such information generally require physically visiting various places.

Furthermore, inactive bank accounts will be closed, and inactive phone numbers will be closed.

What I have done is to set up an automatic “top up” via my bank’s app (I think they all support this), just top up with 20 baht/month, this should ensure that both your phone number and bank account does not get automatically closed.

A friend of mine had his bank account closed due to lack of activity, as he was not in Thailand during COVID-19, and now they refuse to let him open a new account…

Edit: Also, if you do take your phone number with you abroad, make sure that international usage is enabled. It is free to receive SMS messages when abroad (at least with dtac), so just avoid using it. If you have not enabled international usage, you might find it a challenge to get this enabled when abroad.

Edited by lkn
  • Like 1