Thai Visa and WP Cancellation Forms

i assume you have non-b

and i assume you quit or fired from your work. 

first thing you need to do is get a termination letter form your employer. The date on the letter is your last day for your visa which means your non-b will end with the date on your termination letter. check the day on it carefully and make your plans.

second thing you need to do is go to the immigration and give the termination letter. they will tell you, you have 24 hours to leave the country. if you already have another job ready you can get your or continue your non-b on the same day no need to leave the country. To do this you need all the documents with you from the new work on that day. if you dont have a new job then you have 24 hrs to leave. 

you also need to give back your workpermit to the labor office. If you trust your work, you can ask them to do it for you. they can or not. i advice you to it by yourself. you will need a copy of your termination letter and maybe tax papers. im not sure you should do this before or after the immigration. i would try to do before if possible.

I dont believe you need any form to do all these things. 

few things you must keep in mind. Up to your work and staying in thailand (i mean how many years) where ever you go thai embassy might reject your tourist visa to come back to thailand. I have many friends rejected. the reason was 'you stayed long. go back to your country and get a visa from there'. it is true. it happened at least 4-5 of my friends. another thing is again up to your history they may reject your re-entry at the immigration without any visa. 

if you are planning to switch to another visa type, i do believe you need to leave the country. you cannot get any other type of visa after you cancelled your non-b. if im wrong im sure other users will correct me.

another thing is your vaccination situation. including thailand and other countries are checking your vaccine situation. i believe you need at least 2 shots.

If you are not coming back to thailand, all you need to do is surrender your work permit to labor office with termination letter, go to immigration with the termination letter. I strongly suggest to keep your tax papers. safety first.

hope this will help, good luck

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 9:10 PM, problemfarang said:

i assume you have non-b

and i assume you quit or fired from your work. 

first thing you need to do is get a termination letter form your employer. The date on the letter is your last day for your visa which means your non-b will end with the date on your termination letter. check the day on it carefully and make your plans.

second thing you need to do is go to the immigration and give the termination letter. they will tell you, you have 24 hours to leave the country. if you already have another job ready you can get your or continue your non-b on the same day no need to leave the country. To do this you need all the documents with you from the new work on that day. if you dont have a new job then you have 24 hrs to leave. 

you also need to give back your workpermit to the labor office. If you trust your work, you can ask them to do it for you. they can or not. i advice you to it by yourself. you will need a copy of your termination letter and maybe tax papers. im not sure you should do this before or after the immigration. i would try to do before if possible.

I dont believe you need any form to do all these things. 

few things you must keep in mind. Up to your work and staying in thailand (i mean how many years) where ever you go thai embassy might reject your tourist visa to come back to thailand. I have many friends rejected. the reason was 'you stayed long. go back to your country and get a visa from there'. it is true. it happened at least 4-5 of my friends. another thing is again up to your history they may reject your re-entry at the immigration without any visa. 

if you are planning to switch to another visa type, i do believe you need to leave the country. you cannot get any other type of visa after you cancelled your non-b. if im wrong im sure other users will correct me.

another thing is your vaccination situation. including thailand and other countries are checking your vaccine situation. i believe you need at least 2 shots.

If you are not coming back to thailand, all you need to do is surrender your work permit to labor office with termination letter, go to immigration with the termination letter. I strongly suggest to keep your tax papers. safety first.

hope this will help, good luck

I need to leave without telling the school or cancelling my visa and work permit, just in case things don't work out, so need to cancel visa and work permit once out of the country. Could I write a letter and a power of attorney, and have my wife return the work permit and notify immigration?

15 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

I need to leave without telling the school or cancelling my visa and work permit, just in case things don't work out, so need to cancel visa and work permit once out of the country. Could I write a letter and a power of attorney, and have my wife return the work permit and notify immigration?

You can leave the country without canceling your extension since it will end when you leave the country. It could be a problem if you want to get another extension for working or teaching since some office have wanted a termination letter from your previous employer to apply for one.

No big problem to not cancel your work permit unless you want to work here again.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can leave the country without canceling your extension since it will end when you leave the country. It could be a problem if you want to get another extension for working or teaching since some office have wanted a termination letter from your previous employer to apply for one.

No big problem to not cancel your work permit unless you want to work here again.

If I was to proceed with leaving without the termination letter, would I be able to work here again?

4 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

If I was to proceed with leaving without the termination letter, would I be able to work here again?

You could work again but you might be question about your previous extension not being canceled.

They started doing that due to many people leaving without informing their employer.

12 hours ago, nicelee808 said:

normally you should notify the school and labor office. many years ago one of my friend wanted to leave Thailand. Border immigration didnt let him leave the country without seeing termination letter. But again my other friend did leave without showing the letter. They were both leaving from land border. They stopped him because they want to be sure you are not running away for some reason and also if you paid your tax or not. Also he didnt cancelled his non-b at immigration too. 

As mentioned if you can leave without any problems, there might be some problems if you come back and want to work again. First of if no one cancelled your work permit it will be in the system. most likely they will ask for termination letter. Here you can try a risky solution, just find an official thai government paper. Can be printed from many websites. Ask your wife to write the letter on computer and let her sign. it worked for one of my friends. They will just check the date on it if you are overstay or not.

you can write a power of attorney, termination letter and have your wife return the work permit. For the immigration she cannot do anything. you need to be there in person. 

when you leave the country your visa will be cancelled if you dont get a re-entry which you will not get one. Im not sure about the work permit though. I  believe it still stays. 

a friendly reminder: if you not notify the school your working, and just leave like that you will break the contract and doing something illegal. Most likely nothing gonna happen BUT if you have some enemies there they may sue you and trust me you will lose. It can even end up banning you from working in thailand. Again most likely nothing gonna happen but just bare in mind. 

good luck

Edited by problemfarang

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could work again but you might be question about your previous extension not being canceled.

They started doing that due to many people leaving without informing their employer.

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

normally you should notify the school and labor office. many years ago one of my friend wanted to leave Thailand. Border immigration didnt let him leave the country without seeing termination letter. But again my other friend did leave without showing the letter. They were both leaving from land border. They stopped him because they want to be sure you are not running away for some reason and also if you paid your tax or not. Also he didnt cancelled his non-b at immigration too. 

As mentioned if you can leave without any problems, there might be some problems if you come back and want to work again. First of if no one cancelled your work permit it will be in the system. most likely they will ask for termination letter. Here you can try a risky solution, just find an official thai government paper. Can be printed from many websites. Ask your wife to write the letter on computer and let her sign. it worked for one of my friends. They will just check the date on it if you are overstay or not.

you can write a power of attorney, termination letter and have your wife return the work permit. For the immigration she cannot do anything. you need to be there in person. 

when you leave the country your visa will be cancelled if you dont get a re-entry which you will not get one. Im not sure about the work permit though. I  believe it still stays. 

a friendly reminder: if you not notify the school your working, and just leave like that you will break the contract and doing something illegal. Most likely nothing gonna happen BUT if you have some enemies there they may sue you and trust me you will lose. It can even end up banning you from working in thailand. Again most likely nothing gonna happen but just bare in mind. 

good luck

Thanks for the advice, best to speak to the school I think!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicelee808 said:

Is there or law on how much notice I have to give, my contract says 3 months, do I have any right to cancel before that?

yes, its better if you give them 3 month notice if you want to play safe.

normally its 1 or 2 months. If an emergency case you can do 2 weeks notice.

if you are ok with the school and you think it wont be a problem, just tell them you must leave at the end of the month. Do it with a written letter on the 1st day and ending day will be 30th. keep a copy of the letter for yourself. OR just tell them a lie; maybe your mom is in hospital back in the country, some relatives pass away, etc. if they say we will wait for you just tell them you dont want to be selfish and not sure when to come back, they will get the message.

or if you are not in some kind of urgent situation, just wait till the semester ends. i believe another 2-3 months left.

PS: i have seen some people quit from work in 1 month. notify them 1st of the month and ending date is 30th of the month. seems fair for both sides.

PS2: be very careful with the termination letter. Sometimes they write the date you notify them! that means you will be overstay most likely. make it clear about this.

PS3: they like to give the letter on your last day at work. If possible try to get it at least few days before just in case if there are some problems with the letter. safety first.

good luck

Edited by problemfarang

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

yes, its better if you give them 3 month notice if you want to play safe.

normally its 1 or 2 months. If an emergency case you can do 2 weeks notice.

if you are ok with the school and you think it wont be a problem, just tell them you must leave at the end of the month. Do it with a written letter on the 1st day and ending day will be 30th. keep a copy of the letter for yourself. OR just tell them a lie; maybe your mom is in hospital back in the country, some relatives pass away, etc. if they say we will wait for you just tell them you dont want to be selfish and not sure when to come back, they will get the message.

or if you are not in some kind of urgent situation, just wait till the semester ends. i believe another 2-3 months left.

PS: i have seen some people quit from work in 1 month. notify them 1st of the month and ending date is 30th of the month. seems fair for both sides.

PS2: be very careful with the termination letter. Sometimes they write the date you notify them! that means you will be overstay most likely. make it clear about this.

PS3: they like to give the letter on your last day at work. If possible try to get it at least few days before just in case if there are some problems with the letter. safety first.

good luck

Great advice, thanks again, actually does feel better doing it the proper way.

• Like 1