Female French tourists praised for cleaning up the beach at Samui - rewarded with coconut water!

webfact

While samui was in lock down Chaweng beach was almost deserted. most days i walked the beach with a big plastic bag  collecting bottles and general rubbish. i was approached by 3 police asking if i had a work permit. No i said i am not getting paid for it  im doing this to help.No cannot is classed as work i got no praise from them. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why would they feel obligated to pick up other people's trash.

I don't pick up other people's trash, that's ridiculous.  That's why I pay taxes. 

Thankfully where I live people don't throw trash all over surfside and it's maintained, by locals, that little bit that does make it there.

<deleted> alert

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why would they feel obligated to pick up other people's trash.

I don't pick up other people's trash, that's ridiculous.  That's why I pay taxes. 

Thankfully where I live people don't throw trash all over surfside and it's maintained, by locals, that little bit that does make it there.

Tourist don't pay tax 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bob smith said:

why dont thais keep their own house clean? why is it the foreigners job to clean up after the dirty beggars?

probably too busy watching channel 3 drama and drinking lao kao...

TIT

What a nonsense my friends own a 2-story house it is spotless not everybody is the same keep up your Thai bashing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

If it is like Pattaya,  all talk but try finding a trash bin! 

Then you got the drainage system which is non existing when it rains goes into the drains which all leads to the ocean everything drain there including the garbage.

You don't know Pattaya and have no contact to the locals if you don't even know how to find a trash bin. 

The sad fact that too much goes into the ocean is not a Thai issue but an issue for global environmentalists. 

4 minutes ago, still kicking said:

You pay VAT in any country or so-called GST You like to be excluded? 

Excluded ?

You're making less sense now, than when say tourist don't pay taxes.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

Will they be told no work visa,you got paid in coconut water.Deemed work under thai law.Farangs who marry  a thai can not even help his wife in the village during the rice season.Pick up a cup or anything else that is deemed work against his visa,but it is his new family and helping  them on the farm is against his visa of stay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

You don't know Pattaya and have no contact to the locals if you don't even know how to find a trash bin. 

The sad fact that too much goes into the ocean is not a Thai issue but an issue for global environmentalists. 

I live here for twenty years I don't know Pattaya anytime you want to know it give me a challenge. That includes all of the east,  West,  North to Bangkok and south to Sattahip.  

The fact that you shoot your mouth off if you travel to the Darkside you can go KM, like on a Soi like Siam Country, from Sukhumvit to the Lake that is around 7 KM you be lucky to see a dozen, Nernpludwan,  Khao Noi,  and barely find one.  

Then construction of all the drains on the West when it rains you see a reservoir, levee, go down to the beaches after a major storm and watch the garbage. I've taken the time to observe drains being put in everywhere it all leads to the  I suggest you take up the challenge or just do us all a favor and <deleted>! Clueless get your head out of your A--

Edited by thailand49

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Try going to Hawaii and tell the boys you're a local because you recently moved there.

I hated that "get out my ocean" attitude while living in Hawaii.  Luckily it much more pleasant going to a beach in Thailand without some "macho" surfer kooks ruining the day. 

• Like 1

The government should spend more money on people to pick up trash.  But then the bosses like to keep the money for themselves to buy stuff and make others envious of their wealth.  Also, if regular people see that people are paid to pick up trash, they will throw more trash on the ground because they expect it to be picked up.  That is the way it is here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

They should go and see the Blue Flag beaches in Spain and Portugal,to learn how to keep their principal asset pristine like the Iberian Peninsula?

Where taxes and salaries are much higher and most people pay the garbage collection taxes - unlike Thailand where most people do not pay the taxes.

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

They did not feel OBLIGATED as that means required by law. Neither were they OBLIGED to do it as they didn't expect a reward. They did it because they WANTED to.

Exactly, 

It's a cultural difference perhaps lost on KhunLA.

I find here, they give the absolute bare minimum (except if something is for show).

Yet somehow they are masters at extracting as much for themselves as physically possible.

Guess, it's their way of life.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, DJ54 said:

If everyone helps a little eventually it will catch on. Part of the issue is some don’t know any better and haven’t been taught… I’ve seen elders do it and my guess they’ve never been taught… 

I wouldn't hold your breath. You'll be waiting a few generations.

I think they just don't care. And yeah, I've seen old people litter too.

• Like 1