Female French tourists praised for cleaning up the beach at Samui - rewarded with coconut water!

webfact

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Every god damn island here is cleaned by foreigners/immigrants/tourists, look up trash hero thailand.

As always thais come for nothing but a photo and PR, how about use ur 2 bloody arms and pickup trash urself man...

I do not think that God is damning this island however, the Thai's by their apathy for their environment is certainly damning the island. The Thais care only about money, nothing else matters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I walk around my garden picking up the trash my kids and woman have chucked every day.

I can see the French ladies POV, 5 minutes clearing up around the place you want to sit/swim makes sense to me.

Instead of picking up their trash, you should train them better.

When I first visited Thailand and Samui many years ago I was up in a coconut grove with some other tourists where the locals were harvesting coconut. They cut some open and offered the water to us.

We all drank but there was one couple who refused and it was very uncomfortable, like they did not trust to drink from a stranger. I never forgot how nasty the jesture was and still remember it to this day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Probably those French female tourists were hoping for some romantic holiday on the beach with guys who line up to buy drinks for them. And then, probably after a few days, they discovered that all those guys are only interested in the local dusky girls

And the dusty ones.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now don't you scoff at a coconut water as a reward, this is Samui's form of the highest owner they can bestow on a foreigner who do the job of the municipality...

Along with a handful of shells and beads I guess? ????

Edited by bradiston

Kind of surprising how this slips past the local vanity.  Foreigners come to your country and voluntarily clean the beaches.  "Why you say my country have dirty beaches?" is something I'd expect. 

Imagine Japanese volunteers going to San Francisco (US) to spray the streets with disinfectant (which would be great idea). 

2 hours ago, Keep Right said:

I do not think that God is damning this island however, the Thai's by their apathy for their environment is certainly damning the island. The Thais care only about money, nothing else matters. 

Cut the racism. I see Thais cleaning up their environment on a regular basis. I see motorcycle taxi riders sweeping and weeding around their station regularly. Immediately after recent floods in Pattaya, I saw dozens of residents sweeping the streets.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

why dont thais keep their own house clean? why is it the foreigners job to clean up after the dirty beggars?

probably too busy watching channel 3 drama and drinking lao kao...

TIT

Rather racist. 

Thais have scavengers that make a living from rubbish. 

These French are doing them out a job. 

21 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Now you've seen some in the OP. 

Actually I didn't even see or read the OP. Just the headliner, as I came in the thread on the first comment I replied to.   

That type news never interest me, but I do not like Thai bashing.  People telling people to do things they probably don't do themselves.

9 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Trash is not owned by anyone-it is the earth's trash now. I like picking up earth's trash when I'm at the beach. It is good exercise, helps mother earth and hopefully teaches a lesson to those with less education.

I couldn't pick the trash up at the beach if I wanted to, my back doesn't do the bending over thing.

I behave myself, I avoid another back surgery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, howlee101 said:

They could be deported for doing a job reserved for Thai people. Wait, on second thought......keep up the great work ladies. 

Cleaning up a beach might be reserved for Thais but no Thai apart from convicts under forced labour would do this. Too much loss of face to be seen doing this. Even my family are trash tossers.... in our garden too. I have to go round regularly picking up empty plastic bags, cookie wrappers, beer bottles, drink cartons and straws, cigarette ends, especially after a visit from relations living further away. Like last night's bbq. To be fair the ladies did though clear up dirty plates, bagged left overs and bones and put them in the bins. Not the empty beer bottles which were just casually tossed. They also washed everything up before leaving and left the kitchen clean and tidy. Unlike my  wife my sister in law is a bit of a cleaning freak and always has a good go when she visits.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If I was to stop,  pick up everyone's trash I see on the ground, it would take me at least an hour to walk a 100 meters.

Don't expect me to do what you probably don't do.

Nah

Your exaggerating, 50 meters tops, in an hour.

The Thais mostly treat there country as an open dustbin.

They can clean there own act up, before I help them on this.

I used to watch the locals dump,  pick up after pickup, of trash behind my place in Jomtien. Disgusting.

It says a lot about Thais when they have to depend on people that are here on holiday to pick up trash for them. Says the locals were "very impressed". So impressed that the tourists were rewarded for their efforts with some fresh coconut water! I wonder how much that is going to affect the economy that we are hearing is about to go into recession?

I'm not having a go at the ladies - up to them what they want to do on holiday, but if I was on holiday ANYWHERE, picking up trash for a drink of coconut water would not come high on my list of priorities - actually, it wouldn't even appear on my list of priorities!

"What did you get up to on your holidays in Thailand, then? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink?"  

"Actually, I picked up trash and had a ball!" 

Hmmm! 

23 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Come on all the foreigners in Pattaya and Phuket 

Get out there and  pick up all the rubbish from the beaches

Especially the English show these French ladies you can do better ????

image.png.8a3370b1030689023248fc6418ff66b6.png

They do... also in Phuket.
And yes thais help too, but it's mostly outside thais/tourists/or those who moved there, while those who earn money at the beach don't care. Those who own all the fancy beachfront land have it cleaned up by visitors...

But as said already, this should be paid for by taxes and organized by local governments.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Rather racist. 

Thais have scavengers that make a living from rubbish. 

These French are doing them out a job. 

Doubt it, the re cyclers will be straight on it when they finish. 

Thailand currently has a third world attitude towards garbage and thus a 3rd world garbage management system…

nothing is taught in primary school as she reflects that same attitude…she as I do sees all the garbage/litter around us in our walks and rides in CM

hero volunteers are not a viable solution…my American neighbor Lance used to pick litter in our moo baan on his daily walks…he moved away…

the Thai culture has no respect for nature…garbage everywhere is part of their environment and sadly the people individually and collectively accept it….

8 hours ago, howlee101 said:

They could be deported for doing a job reserved for Thai people. Wait, on second thought......keep up the great work ladies. 

Yes, for sure, I'm also willing to help this beautiful ladies, but unfortunately....not allowed.

Damned!

Well done them for collecting the rubbish.

But, It was lovely down at the beach? Not at the moment.

With all the bad weather we have been having lately, none of the beaches here in Samui have  been looking lovely.  Apart from the flotsam and jetsam, the waves have churned up the sea, making it look a dirty brown colour.

Windswept and virtually empty is how I would describe them for now.

So they should be Praised because the Lazy good for nothing Thais aren't picking up any rubbish they only Create more rubbish. 

Ps, if the Ladies didn't clean there the place would be a Mess.

Edited by digger70
  • Love It 1