For retired expats What do you do for excitement

kingstonkid

23 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I live on Koh Phangan - temporarily banished from living/working in Myanmar for medical and political reasons.

In the morning I jog a couple of km to the 7/11 and back, then teach English and Thai to about 40 Burmese kids in the local community.  I'm a techie person, so enjoy my ham radio hobby and building antennas to receive weather satellite and ISS pictures etc.  Swim on the sea every afternoon, teach science online, just waiting for my UK state pension to start in about 30 months from now.  Then I will have more freedom to travel, teach, do more hobbies etc.

Due to the current 10 % inflation in the U.K., they have added another 10 % to the age of when you can receive your pension  , so instead of getting the state pension at 66 years old, you now get it at 73 years old, due to the 10 % inflation

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Due to the current 10 % inflation in the U.K., they have added another 10 % to the age of when you can receive your pension  , so instead of getting the state pension at 66 years old, you now get it at 73 years old, due to the 10 % inflation

Well, that is a joke comment of course!  My pension will fall due when I'm 66, and for one, I'm happy at the raging inflation in the UK, because the triple lock means that my pension will be about 15% higher than what is paid out today.  Of course, it will be frozen, but 30,000 baht or so a month is plenty enough for me!

• Thumbs Up 2

Golf Mon / Wed / Fri mornings nearly single figures which is my aim.

Walk my dogs every day.

Try and ride 100km each week.

Get 2 massages and sneak in a beer each night.

After food shopping and organising things around the house I am done!

• Like 1

I have a toss up of the two most exciting things to do. Either watching paint dry, not very productive. Or a little  more stimulating is watching the grass grow. This of course leads to  a short boost of exercise, when the grass needs cutting.

Manicuring the weeds out the front of the house. Being a kind of (unpaid) consultant for various people in Thailand and the US. Routines, such as Qi gong, meditation, gym, swim, cycle ... Accompanying a former colleague to medical appointments, as required, and Sunday morning walks. Sex and Related Intimate Activities. Travel, from time to time. 

.... a lot at bars...

Maybe true but there's a much biggger number of foreigners who are getting on with work and many spending most/99% of their time devoted to their family and the family activities.

Your choice is to use the word excitement. I'd use words like satisfaction, pleasure, achievement....

My pleasure, and it occupied a lot of time is being with my grandchildren and contributing to their language development, cooking skills, finding and watching and discusing short videos together which are educational in all sorts of ways. Playing observation games, Talking to them about how we can contribute to life being more balanced, explaining what discrimination is and .........

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

typical day ,,  get out of bed  no later than 5 .  have a Cappuccino or 2 ..   wait for the  sun to rise ..  take the  dogs out for a walk

hit the gym  for an hour ..   come back home 

get cleaned up go to the temple and bring some offerings then back home  and tend to some landscaping, gardening, pick some veggies/fruit.  get cleaned up then either have a meal at home or take the  wife out for shopping and a meal..  she looks at clothes and cosmetics.  I hit the  wine shop..  plenty of places to eat and not get bored.

Some days skip the shopping and go to the beach..  grab some Som Tom, Gai Yang and beer and chill out for a few hours.. or go to the  driving range and mash a bucket.. back home  take the  dogs for a walk.   sit out on the  porch , sip some wine and watch the  sun burn into the ground, watch some Tube, read email, talk to some peeps back in the  US , and usually call it quits between 12-1am ( yes I'm one of those that only sleeps a max of  4 hours )

• Thumbs Up 1