For retired expats What do you do for excitement

kingstonkid

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes I retired at 56 in 2013. I bought a house just outside Pattaya with my Thai wife and we spend 7 months a year here. We both return to the UK every May for 4 to 5 months to see my lads and grandchildren. I did not sell my house in the UK like so many do. I am confident I made the right decision as I am with the relationship with my wife who I have been with since 2011 and married since 2014. At 30 years old she is young enough to keep me young and we do many activities that I detailed in my original post together. Best decision I ever made. Dont whatever you do be persuaded to go and live in a Thai village.

Sounds good, pretty much exactly as I plan to do. And there's no way I will end up in a Thai village, I've spent enough time up there to know that it's just too quite for me. 
My only concern is that my house in Oz is quite nice and probably has too much inherent value tied up in it to be just sitting around. I own it outright, but I don't really want the hassle of renting it. I also need to partially update/renovate it, so I was thinking of doing just enough to keep it in good nick ready for when one day I won't be able to fly to and from every year.

Do you rent yours out whilst away or just lock it up? I like the flexibility of being able to return at any time without worrying about tenants. Once you rent it, that option is gone.

How long do you think you can keep up the travelling and living between countries? Do you worry one day you won't be able to get on the plane?  

On 12/7/2022 at 3:39 PM, stoner said:

so you're the one keeping all of them on thai friendly employed. you are a good man.

555.  All those poor sods sitting at home with their pants around their ankles in front of a laptop/phone, box of tissues, paying crazy money to these young women to arouse them. 

Bars are just lined with girls glued to their phones nowadays for booty calls and FaceTime sessions with desperate blokes.  

The bar experience is not the same anymore.  Boring as hell and a ripoff.  Lucky as we age our libido drops off.  

23 hours ago, Speedhump said:

O&A being a not so well known abbreviation for out and about? ????

Your life sounds fine, no need for excitement after a certain age. Breathing every day and a visit every year from my adult kids is enough for me. ????????

The downside of enjoying a longish and lazy life with my wife is that if she doesn't make it through her serious illness I'll not really see much future enjoyment in my mid 60s life. Taking up hobbies as a replacement? Hardly even comes close. ????????

What's her chances? I have a mate in the same boat, he just found out his wife has inoperable stage 4 cancer and maybe just a few months to live. He always thought he would be gone well in front of her, so it was a shock for him to realize he would be left behind instead. 

On 12/6/2022 at 8:36 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There may be some good ideas popping up on this thread... 

I’m a long way off from retirement, but I’m already wondering the same...  

After Golf...  countryside walks etc... what else does Thailand offer ?

In the UK I’d be making a kit-car...  going for Motorcycle rides... 

Taking mountain bikes on trails (perhaps an e-bike as I get older). 

Lots of good walks etc...

camping ..getting up into the mountains...

Being a dad .. Priceless 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What's excitement?

It is your life, your Illusion, you tell us! 

Im most happy to wake up without pain, stand up, be able to walk, and hit the gym for two hours. A miracle every day! It could have been a different story. No time to worry, no time to be depressed, its going to over sooner than later, hopefully later

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Something that, judging by the responses, most posters in here have never experienced.

You have morning glory every morning, and sometimes in the middle of the day to without provoking it to happen. A good day

4 hours ago, aussienam said:

555.  All those poor sods sitting at home with their pants around their ankles in front of a laptop/phone, box of tissues, paying crazy money to these young women to arouse them. 

Bars are just lined with girls glued to their phones nowadays for booty calls and FaceTime sessions with desperate blokes.  

The bar experience is not the same anymore.  Boring as hell and a ripoff.  Lucky as we age our libido drops off.  

and prices have become ridiculous no wonder guys dont take short times any  more

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you are comparing a visit w/living there... my home is there, my bed is there, my recliner is there, my computer is there... my friends and family are there... We were raising a kid who I would pick up at school every day... lunch w/friends in town, afternoon nap and foot massage simultaneously... and since there was not much English spoken, I can now speak Thai w/relative fluidity.. not boring at all... 

If I visited for a day or two, I might have been bored too...

Sounds really boring. Each to his own though. I imagine you would be doing much the same in your own country. 

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

For many people a relationship is a an agreement to help and support each other to make a good life. Even you live in middle of nowhere it is not automatically wifes territory. Just wanted to mention it. 

Sure I agree with that. However over here it tends to work like that. My wifes mother and sisters are fine when I visit, the father is a bit of a drunkard. Obviously they do not speak English and I have no interest in learning Issan. I speak very little Thai but enough to make myself understood. I cannot think of anything more boring than living there. There is literally nothing and I mean nothing to do. I would go crazy.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Inala said:

Sounds good, pretty much exactly as I plan to do. And there's no way I will end up in a Thai village, I've spent enough time up there to know that it's just too quite for me. 
My only concern is that my house in Oz is quite nice and probably has too much inherent value tied up in it to be just sitting around. I own it outright, but I don't really want the hassle of renting it. I also need to partially update/renovate it, so I was thinking of doing just enough to keep it in good nick ready for when one day I won't be able to fly to and from every year.

Do you rent yours out whilst away or just lock it up? I like the flexibility of being able to return at any time without worrying about tenants. Once you rent it, that option is gone.

How long do you think you can keep up the travelling and living between countries? Do you worry one day you won't be able to get on the plane?  

A very sensible reply and understanding of the situation. My house in the UK is increasing in value all the time so I see no reason to sell. I dont rent because as you pointed out you lose the flexibilty option. I like the fact that I can go back every year for a few months. Yes I think about the future. At this stage the only thing stopping me travelling would be health. At this time I have a couplw of issues but nothing serious. If I couldnt travel I would probably bite the bullit and get my wife a UK settlement visa, its not needed at this time as she has a long term 10 year visit visa. Time will tell. The trick is to keep active and dont stagnate. Although today I am feeling well rough after a night out in Pattaya with a mate who is visiting lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

Sure I agree with that. However over here it tends to work like that. My wifes mother and sisters are fine when I visit, the father is a bit of a drunkard. Obviously they do not speak English and I have no interest in learning Issan. I speak very little Thai but enough to make myself understood. I cannot think of anything more boring than living there. There is literally nothing and I mean nothing to do. I would go crazy.

It all depends on your interests and of course maybe most important the family and your gf/wife. I got a complete gym, 4 motorbikes for every purpose from dirt roads to touring, a car, small farm with animals to care for, and great parents in law who do not require anything and happy with 10k a month to work for us a few hours a day, or housesitting when we are not there. 

It is alot of freedom to live out there for one who like country side, and also have to oppertunity to leave whenever we need or want to.

Im happy with not knowing what they talk about, and thrive fine only communicate with my gf and the few friends around our district.

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

camping ..getting up into the mountains...

Being a dad .. Priceless 

This strikes me as things you would do before you retire! Fatherhood at retirement, basically means you are not retired as you have many responsibilities to others.

Good for you!  Hope there is a Mom involved

If I were retired, I'd be hitting the gym, chilling at home, going out exploring the different areas of Bangkok, taking train trips to different parts of the country, cooking, eating out, drinking in pubs, meeting friends, getting massages etc etc

Perhaps scuba diving....and maybe a little muff diving too. Hehe

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2009 said:

If I were retired, I'd be hitting the gym, chilling at home, going out exploring the different areas of Bangkok, taking train trips to different parts of the country, cooking, eating out, drinking in pubs, meeting friends, getting massages etc etc

Perhaps scuba diving....and maybe a little muff diving too. Hehe

I do completely different things now than I thought I was going to do, but change is a good thing to. Now I go holiday to do things I thought I would do when I retired, but Im still mid 50’ies, so you never know.