Indonesia passes criminal code banning sex outside marriage

webfact

Well I've been to Bali and had a good time but really don't see the appeal of moving there. I already wasn't planning to go back to Indonesia but now even more so.

Also these laws obviously make all gay sex illegal if it wasn't already.

Shooting themselves in the foot. Let them stew in their extremism. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thin end of the wedge. Starts with this and ends up with sharia law.

Yes I know. I already responded to another fella who said the same...in short I posted a flippant response to what I assumed (and I think rightly) was an uninformed opinion. As of yet Indonesia is yet to sink into the morass of what they call locally Darul Islam. 

I spent a considerable amount of time in Jakarta in the late '90s and early '00s so I'm quite aware of the slow progression towards full Islamic rule.

I wasn't there for the fall of Soeharto but I did have some exposure to the aftermath. At one point the FPI (Islamic Defenders Front), emboldened by their new found freedom from being disappeared, decide to smash up JJ's in Tanah Abang because of alcohol, drugs and prostitution. ie. all the good things about Jakarta. That and Diskotek Stadium ????

I was on Jalan Jaksa when a rumour went around that the FPI was coming down to smash up the place too. Luckily that didn't transpire although we were kind of hoping they'd come down so that the local mafia could sort them out. 

Obviously that was a long time ago but that was when, imho, the rot set. The thin end of the wedge as you said.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

So, standing on a box to get at the camels was not a problem?.........????

A box was not high enough, had to use step ladders. Another reason I quit as I am a bit wobbly on them nowadays.....:goof:

Do Indonesian aircraft still fall out of the sky regularly, or do the stories just not make the international press?  While there for about a month there were a few, one of which was military/police helicopter, crashed in the back of beyond, all dead.

5 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

For that you need to go to Saudi Arabia, where they still execute people by cutting their head off, in PUBLIC!????

The square where they chopped hands and heads was just down the road from where I lived. Done on Fridays after prayers. I chose not to go see.

Losing a hand was a disincentive to steal, so Riyadh was very safe from theft. Could safely walk around with enough cash to buy a new car.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

Harsh on drugs. Harsh on sex outside of marriage. Good to see some countries still have some sense of morality.

They are going back to when dinosaurs roamed the Earth?

What is so strange is that up until this happened, Indonesia was a very moderate Islamic country! Can't see this happening though it will be challenged in the constitutional courts?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

The mosque where they chopped hands and heads was just down the road from where I lived. Done on Fridays after prayers. I chose not to go see.

Losing a hand was a disincentive to steal, so Riyadh was very safe from theft. Could safely walk around with enough cash to buy a new car.

Yep, I was in Riyadh for two years, I got invited to 'chop chop square' one Friday, I was told if any foreigners did turn up they get pushed to the front of the crowd of onlookers, for a good view!

Needless to say I did not accept the invitation!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yep, I was in Riyadh for two years, I got invited to 'chop chop square' one Friday, I was told if any foreigners did turn up they get pushed to the front of the crowd of onlookers, for a good view!

Needless to say I did not accept the invitation!

NB I changed mosque to square. I was thinking about it being done after prayers.

We were also told that we'd be pushed to the front if going there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:14 AM, JayBird said:

Keep in mind, a lot of these laws are meant to only be used to go after people the state does not like.

It's not as if they care if the couple are married.  But if they want to punish someone they don't like, they got one more tool.

Agree.  Sex tourists and gay people are easy targets....and perhaps political enemies.  So gay sex is effectively outlawed since they don't recognize gay marriage. 

On 12/7/2022 at 9:03 AM, soalbundy said:

It won't affect tourist couples because police will only act on a complaint to them from a relative of the couple, so it's unlikely to affect anybody at all.

Let's all flock there because it's only unlikely. If that Muslim <deleted> hole decides that its very likely,  what you gonna do? Clearly the law is based on something like a staff member In a hotel reporting kissing of couples that passports show different name's. 

A holiday is supposed to be stress free. I feel sorry for those reliant on tourism  first covid now this 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

What a sad worldview. What does the state care about the sex life of its residents. To criminalize adult people having consensual sex. These radical religious fanatics are really sick in the head.

But they are doing something immoral in the eyes of the law. Follow the rules, no,problem.