Indonesia passes criminal code banning sex outside marriage

webfact

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Critics see the laws as a "disaster" for human rights, and a potential blow to tourism and investment.

Agree 100%.

Back about 30 years seemed it was better than Thailand for easy girls ( depending on where one was ).

For starters, what western unmarried couple will visit now?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

Medieval indeed. Apart from the chilling effect this will have on the 280 million people who have to live under such a regime, there’s a silver lining for Thai tourism -- any unmarried or same-sex couples (or married couples who simply value their privacy) who may have been considering an Indonesian beach for a holiday may now come here instead. Just like when, for decades, Indonesia (and Malaysia) barred foreign visitors from Israel, greatly boosting Israeli tourist arrivals in Thailand.

• Like 2

My experience of hotels in countries where gay sex is banned or really really not approved of is amusing. In Singapore (where gay sex has just been made legal a couple of weeks ago) I approach the front desk with our booking details, my Thai Khmer partner lurking behind. The polite young man behind the desk smiles politely and looks fixedly at his computer. After a couple of coughs he asks: "Will that be one bed or two, sir?" I reply: "One bed. Kingsize as booked." "Very well, sir".

And off we go.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

A Muslim country do I need to say more

Well, you could say that this is similar to the law in the Phillippines where sex between unmarried partners is illegal under the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines.

This could benefit Thailand in a big way if strictly enforced.

Malaysia has a similar law called Khalwat but it doesn't seem to bother them much.

Section 115. Khalwat.
(1) Any male person who is found in retirement with and in suspicious proximity to any woman (whether or not professing the Muslim Religion) other than his wife or a woman whom by reason of consanguinity or affinity or fosterage he is forbidden by Muslim Law to marry, shall be guilty of Khalwat and shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding four months or to a fine exceeding two hundred dollars or, in the case of a second or subsequent offence, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding four hundred dollars.

(2) Any female person who is found in retirement with and in suspicious proximity to any man (whether or not professing the Muslim Religion) other than her husband or a man whom by reason of consanguinity or affinity or fosterage she is forbidden by Muslim Law to marry, shall be guilty of an offence and be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding four months or to a fine not exceeding two hundred dollars or, in the case of a second or subsequent offence, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding four hundred dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a Muslim country Indonesia was very moderate. The women do not have to cover their hair or wear a hijab, they have Christian churches, alcohol is freely available, you can buy pork products, they have 'mens' clubs etc.

Now having said that this is definitely a backward step. However I dont think it will have any effect on tourism, we will have to wait and see?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Who they are doesn't answer the point I made, which is how they would catch anyone having sex.

Being found, or booked, in a room together is probably all the religious police require to start swinging their rattan batons and locking people up.

The evidentiary rule of law doesn't apply in these countries.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Thanks 1