Which coupe/sporty looking car to buy?

I'm looking for a used coupe but I don't know what's available.

I own a Mazda 2 sport which I've had for exactly one year but it isn't at all sporty in looks or performance but it was cheap and well looked after by one owner and fsh.

My previous car for 3 years was a Hyundai Veloster Turbo and before that for 3 years a Daihatsu Copen Turbo.

Actually I don't use the car much as I live in Hua Hin and travel to the beach, shopping mall etc is only a few minutes drive so easier on the PCX. However, when I do use it I usually go to Bkk or Jomtien a few times a year so I do like the extra power that the Mazda doesn't provide, it's Ok up to 120 kph but a bit hard work after that.

I do like the shape/style of the Veloster and also the Honda CR Z but both models at 8-10 years old are still quite expensive at 600-900 k for a decent reasonably low mileage (definitely under 100k) model.

So any other models I should be looking at?

Have to be more than circa 100 bhp which rules out my Mazda 2 sport and Focus/Fiesta Sports.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

BMW Z4

Nice car but a convertible is not practical in this country unless you only go out after 6 pm, I sweated in one for 3 years !!  Bit out of my price range also I'm afraid, of 54 on One2car I could just about afford the cheapest but as I only do around 5k kms a year I cant justify spending more than a million.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Civic RS or spend some money on exterior bling and some engine mods on the Mazda 2

The Mazda already has factory skirts and spoilers so not sure what else one could do. A friend at the weekend also suggested tweaking the ECU.

Looking at Civic RS on One2car I only see 4 door sedans, am I looking at the right model?

Used Honda Civic 1.5 RS, find local dealers/sellers | One2car

5 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

The Mazda already has factory skirts and spoilers so not sure what else one could do. A friend at the weekend also suggested tweaking the ECU.

Looking at Civic RS on One2car I only see 4 door sedans, am I looking at the right model?

Yeah, probably all 4 doors.

A Mercedes 200 SLK would be out of your price range, and you would be bent over every time it was serviced anyway.

A Suzuki Swift turbo or the Mazda 2 with an aftermarket turbo should be sporty enough. Personally, I prefer the auto gearbox with the manual option on the Mazda 2, not comfortable with a CVT in the hills.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A Mercedes 200 SLK would be out of your price range, and you would be bent over every time it was serviced anyway.

A Suzuki Swift turbo or the Mazda 2 with an aftermarket turbo should be sporty enough. Personally, I prefer the auto gearbox with the manual option on the Mazda 2, not comfortable with a CVT in the hills.

Agree with the Merc.

Also when talking replacement cars with my mate at the weekend, I mentioned the price of the 10 year old Veloster and CR Z compared with a brand new Swift at around 570k I think it was. I actually like the style of the Swift even though I really class it as a girls car..........the basic one was underpowered for me, I will Google the turbo version , thanks.

Oh, and there aren't any hills in HH or en route to BKK so the CVT will do for me.

6 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Agree with the Merc.

Also when talking replacement cars with my mate at the weekend, I mentioned the price of the 10 year old Veloster and CR Z compared with a brand new Swift at around 570k I think it was. I actually like the style of the Swift even though I really class it as a girls car..........the basic one was underpowered for me, I will Google the turbo version , thanks.

Oh, and there aren't any hills in HH or en route to BKK so the CVT will do for me.

Small turbo engines seem to be the trend. While a Nissan Almera is not the style you are looking for, a friend of mine got the turbo version after his car was totalled by a pickup driver.

The Almeras of yesteryear couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, he said the turbo version had much better performance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

I always thought the HondA Prelude was a nice looking coupe. A bit long in the tooth but get a good one and might be future classic.

image.png.0deedda4cfc25ce73e0526ff49220e44.png

Yep, I agree 100%, I think there were more nice looking coupes 20 years ago, however, I really want the more modern tech, more comfortable drive, modern engine and all the bells and whistles.

I'm starting to think another Veloster is the most viable alternative or stick with the Mazda 2 for another year.......

1 hour ago, YorkshireTyke said:

There isn't much choice for budget newish 2 door cars here. 

The civic has been a 4 door for a long time. The last 2 door civic was about year 1999-2000. 

The new civic turbo / hybrid is fast enough for Thai roads. My wife just got a city turbo and it goes well (much better than our previous swift), and much bigger inside. It can be remapped and run 0-100 under 7 seconds. We won't be doing that though. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

it's Ok up to 120 kph but a bit hard work after that.

How quickly do you want to get to 120, and how much above it after that please? Then I could make an informed suggestion.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, DavisH said:

remap a diesel mazda 2+ full exhaust and tune. its good for 130-140hp. 

Feeliq also do a high flow turbo upgrade good for 160hp with the mods you already mentioned.

they can also tune the auto box to improve shift points or if one has deep pockets convert to 6sp manual.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How quickly do you want to get to 120, and how much above it after that please? Then I could make an informed suggestion.

The 0-120 isn't important, its cruising comfortably after that, 120-140, as I said most of my use of the car tends to be longer journies, HH to Bkk or further. The Veloster Turbo was ideal for that.