British tourist arrested for overstaying in Sisaket, says he loves Thailand so much he doesn’t want to leave

snoop1130

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

highly doubt it. A simple 75 day overstay. 
Where do you get he was hiding out from? The only thing mentioned was he was walking down the street.

"30-year-old Michael McLaughlin at first denied any knowledge of breaking the law but later changed his story by admitting he was hiding in Sisaket because he wanted to stay in Thailand..."

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Where do you get he was hiding out from? The only thing mentioned was he was walking down the street. I'm reluctant to go home as millions of people are it's cold lol. I just don't get some of you part time detectives sometimes on here who make up stuff in their head. 

Some of them actually read the thread for their info, you should try it!   He said that he was "hiding".

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm not talking about opening an account, of course you need a passport to do that. I'm talking about updating my bank book, my bank wouldn't even let me do that unless I showed my passport first!

That's normal if you don't use the PUM but do it at the counter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Amazing Thailand.

Crackdowns are only applied to foreigners and tourists.

I am wondering, why all these other crackdowns never ever one worked out.

It must have to do with racism. No other explaination

You don't accept Thailand's immigration laws, that only apply to foreigners, as a justifiable explanation?   Presumably, you also must  thInk that your own country's immigration laws are "racist"?

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"30-year-old Michael McLaughlin at first denied any knowledge of breaking the law but later changed his story by admitting he was hiding in Sisaket because he wanted to stay in Thailand..."

He was walking down the street 

10 minutes ago, Bim Smith said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No they wouldn't, people are deported from the UK all the time for visa irregularities!

You mean if they have passports or are willing to disclose there country of origin. Many can't be deported for that reason.

Many more are!

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I have no problem with banks assisting immigration in tracking down violators,

I don't think this was the reason, rather that the bank staff are under instructions not to process transactions for anyone who hasn't got valid ID. Same happened to me in South America, a ticket office sales person checked every page in my passport before advising that as I wasn't stamped into the Country, I didn't have valid ID and consequently he wasn't permitted to sell me a ticket. He didn't care at all about me being in his Country illegally and, in fact, helpfully suggested I go to another seller who doesn't bother to check ID validity. This I did and the other company sold me a ticket. 

His best bet is to try and stay in the Thai Nick,

UK was minus 4 last night, if you live in Oxfordshire

you must not travel more than 15 mins from your

home unless you get special permission.

'Climate lockdown' and freeze.

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Those BMW smart cars are becoming too damn clever.

It appears they can nuow locate overstayers when they are just walking down some random road minding their own business!

It's Sisaket, the heart of Khmer dialect speaking Isan. No smartcars there. You have that confused with sin city. They utilize their smart armory only in Farang dense regions. 

What I’d like to know was WHY he overstayed ?? If he had a visa as stated, he could have extended and then do a border hop . Was he broke , was he working and couldn’t ? What was he doing walking along the road to the University, bit strange all that. In a shirt and jeans, isn’t it hot there ??

41 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

It's Sisaket, the heart of Khmer dialect speaking Isan. No smartcars there. You have that confused with sin city. They utilize their smart armory only in Farang dense regions. 

There is a smart car in the photo of the police arresting the Brit tourist in the original article.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:44 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

There is a crack down going  on at the moment and if I was on overstay , I would hand myself in and leave Thailand as hiding in your house or living in remote  areas of Issan doesn't seem to be an option anymore

Plenty of snitches around especially in Isaan. Farang sticks out like a sore thumb

On 12/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, talahtnut said:

His best bet is to try and stay in the Thai Nick,

UK was minus 4 last night, if you live in Oxfordshire

you must not travel more than 15 mins from your

home unless you get special permission.

'Climate lockdown' and freeze.

Nonsense.

https://www.oxfordshirelive.co.uk/news/oxfordshire-news/oxfordshire-county-council-respond-viral-7900897

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Obviously he is jobless and has nothing to go back to .the question is ,how did he survive or was he loaded? Of course he has neither the brain nor the money,else he would have crossed the border to renew his chop.

Correct, I knew him and after 'leaving' employment, he was teaching online using the Covid visa route a few times until that option finished.

I hear Ireland is nice this time of year!!!!!!

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

Correct, I knew him and after 'leaving' employment, he was teaching online using the Covid visa route a few times until that option finished.

I hear Ireland is nice this time of year!!!!!!

Thanks for the information. Appears he was living from day to day, using what was available at the time although it wasn't designed for that purpose. Then failed to keep his head down when he should have done. I don't bear him any ill-will for doing that.

• Like 1