Sending money to Thailand

5 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Yes you shouldn't call them prostitutes Scuba --she is probably just the Cashier who started work yesterday, and now has to look after a sick Buff... .........child.

Two old jokes in one post .

Those two jokes get told as often as the "500 Baht fine and a Wai " joke , but its not often they both get told in the same post

Well done for that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chuang said:

Nothing wrong in sending to a bargirl..

That joke has already been done TWICE in this thread

And it wasn't even funny the first time , although I suppose that the guys who shyly giggle when sex is mentioned would be giggling at the joke . 

Just say sex and they burst out laughing 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you want to continue this spat, please PM me and take if off forums  , thanks 

He’s just digging a hole for himself each reply.
I’d let it go, majority on your side.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That joke has already been done TWICE in this thread

And it wasn't even funny the first time , although I suppose that the guys who shyly giggle when sex is mentioned would be giggling at the joke . 

Just say sex and they burst out laughing 

Nothing wrong with bar girls or even ex gogo girls. My lady was one and now makes an excellent wife. There are 1,000's of foreigners in the same situation no need to get defensive. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, jimn said:

Nothing wrong with bar girls or even ex gogo girls. My lady was one and now makes an excellent wife. There are 1,000's of foreigners in the same situation no need to get defensive. 

I havent said that there is anything wrong with it , maybe you should be having a word with the poster who used it as a derogatory slur

On 12/7/2022 at 11:45 PM, Luuk Chaai said:

oh... read between the lines and use some imagination  .. maybe the response was meant to be ..  "it's much more fun to  HAND the $$ over in person  then you get to see all those smiling faces!

She posted a video of them in the village with a bouncy castle there for some event and I recall when we all went to some event in the city where they had a bouncy castle and I paid 20 Baht for the five year old boy to have a go on the bouncy castle and the kids had different coloured wristbands according to how long they could stay on the bouncy castle and they were all running around and chasing each other .

When his time was up the lady owner of the bouncy castle called him off and he wanted to stay longer and didn't get off the bouncy castle and the woman began shouting at him to get off and he just shook his head and would nt get off and then the woman got on the bouncy castle and started chasing him around to get him off and he ran away with the woman chasing after him , up and down the slide and through the hoops and everything  , he thought that it was great fun .

After a few minutes the woman got off the bouncy castle exhausted and shook her head and just said "stay there as long as you like".

I thought that I'd send some money over for bouncy castle goes and school costs and things .

On 12/8/2022 at 9:33 AM, Gerard052 said:

Western Union are crooks and expensive, I stay as far away as I can from them.  I have used Wise and XE lately.  Excellent.

I’ve been using XE for over two years, already saved several hundreds of ££££££s. In swift transfer fees

I did use Western Union in the end , although they gave a bad exchange rate (38 Baht to the Pound) and 7.50 costs , they were the most convenient . 

I just went to a local W.U outlet , gave the name of the recipient and which Country they live in , stated the amount and tapped my ATM card on the card reader and the money was available within 15 minutes and they can collect the money from any W.U office on Thailand using their I.D card for I.D.

There were other cheaper options , but you had to name the recipient bank, give their address and  account codes and W.U was much more convenient 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I did use Western Union in the end , although they gave a bad exchange rate (38 Baht to the Pound) and 7.50 costs , they were the most convenient.

Appreciate the follow-up, but do you mind elaborating on “must be picked up as cash”?

I checked sending 1,000 GBP with Wise and it would result in 42,037. THB being deposited into a Thai bank account, where it sounds like W.U. gave your lady 37,715 THB in cash (for 1,000 GBP), that’s a difference 4,322 THB, which is quite a lot in Thailand.

I am familiar with some remote villages where there are no banks or ATMs nearby, so sending money to people living there often happens through a middleman who will charge 15-20 baht per 1,000 baht sent (for delivering the cash).

But if your lady can go to a W.U. office, I would imagine she is not in such remote place, and can also go to an ATM.

6 hours ago, lkn said:

Appreciate the follow-up, but do you mind elaborating on “must be picked up as cash”?

I checked sending 1,000 GBP with Wise and it would result in 42,037. THB being deposited into a Thai bank account, where it sounds like W.U. gave your lady 37,715 THB in cash (for 1,000 GBP), that’s a difference 4,322 THB, which is quite a lot in Thailand.

I am familiar with some remote villages where there are no banks or ATMs nearby, so sending money to people living there often happens through a middleman who will charge 15-20 baht per 1,000 baht sent (for delivering the cash).

But if your lady can go to a W.U. office, I would imagine she is not in such remote place, and can also go to an ATM.

She isn't actually "my woman" , just an acquaintance .

I did look into Wise , but there was some reason why I couldn't do it  , could have been they needed a BIC/SWIFT code or something and I do think that she wouldn't be able to find that number .

I do think I wrote that the money can be collected over the counter at a W.U outlet .

It was a one off payment and less than a 1000 Quid and although W.U offered a terrible rate , I was at the office and just thought that I would take the hit and just send it there and then .

If I were to be sending money regularly (which I wont be doing) , I would look into cheaper ways of sending it 

9 hours ago, lkn said:

How much money would Wise charge for the transaction ?

W.U charged about 15 % as 36 000 Baht would have been received for 1000 Quid

How much money would Wise charge for the transaction ?

W.U charged about 15 % as 36 000 Baht would have been received for 1000 Quid

The 42,037 baht deposited for 1,000 GBP was after fees.

Their fee for GBP/THB is around 0.6% and a small flat fee (I think 31.70 baht) for “deposit into Thai bank account” and their exchange rate is pretty good.

I’ve exchanged a few thousand euros over the last month, and my average “cost”, comparing with ECB’s rate for the day of each conversion, was just 0.06%, so effectively free.

Edited by lkn
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just been able to send money by Western Union doing a direct bank transfer from a UK account to a Thai account , and not using the kiosks at either end .

Last time I used the kiosks an got 8,900 Baht for 250 Quid

This time I got 10 300 Baht for 250 Quid .

1400 Baht to use the kiosks .

Bank to bank was very easy , just need a name , bank name and bank account number and it took a few hours

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just been able to send money by Western Union doing a direct bank transfer from a UK account to a Thai account , and not using the kiosks at either end .

Last time I used the kiosks an got 8,900 Baht for 250 Quid

This time I got 10 300 Baht for 250 Quid .

1400 Baht to use the kiosks .

Bank to bank was very easy , just need a name , bank name and bank account number and it took a few hours

Still would have been better using Wise with your Thai bank account

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

could of paid to your thai bank account then transferred onwards using the app or online, so easy

Its even easier just to send it once to the recipient and I am not online with my Thai bank account and I am not even sure whether its still active , because I haven't touched it for about seven years