Swedish man arrested in Hua Hin - he was hiding out in Thailand after 35M baht accounting fraud at home

webfact

24 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

But, on the other hand, you knew that already.

I assumed you basically didn't know how the phrase works.  "A fellow X" indicates that the speaker believes that he too is an example of whatever the X is.  So I thought you had probably made an error, but I had no way of knowing what you meant.

You would need to write "A fellow [nationality]" and then go on to describe them.

8 hours ago, NativeBob said:

sweden uses thai baht as the local currency. good.

Nordic police dept. of Swedish Embassy? No, it doesn't work this way, that's load of <deleted>.

Whatever department of any embassy can't "inform IB".

And the last perl is "under Article 38" - what Article 38? Of life and Universe and Everything?

No, that's article 42.. ????

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

So, you were renting the house from your daughter through Air-B&B?

(Which is what I specifically mentioned).

No, and maybe I misunderstood. At that time I had no written agreement with my daughter at all. I had paid for the construction and a short 3 year lease, both in my name. Later, she was able to buy the land. The lease was torn up, and I simply carried on living there. I don't believe my daughter needed to fill in a TM30, but they considered it to be her property and therefore her responsibility. To get rid of them, I just asked how much, and the senior IO said 1600. I got a receipt, and they left. A farce really. They'd come all that way. Just somebody making trouble. I got them back, but that's another long story.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the original article it appears that the Swede had set up a fake bank account to withdrawl funds to escape Thailand. Also, interesting was that he was arrested for coming to Thailand to commit crimes against foreigners and Thais. Unforunately, this provides ammunition for Thai immigration to continue the 90 day-report, TM 30's,  etc and encourage strict adherence to carrying your original passport to prevent foreigners from creating fake mobile PP photos and visa stamps. Potentially more regulation to monitor and control the falang in the name of safety of the Thai citizen. This is not good news for us law abiding expats. 

43 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

From the original article it appears that the Swede had set up a fake bank account to withdrawl funds to escape Thailand. Also, interesting was that he was arrested for coming to Thailand to commit crimes against foreigners and Thais. Unforunately, this provides ammunition for Thai immigration to continue the 90 day-report, TM 30's,  etc and encourage strict adherence to carrying your original passport to prevent foreigners from creating fake mobile PP photos and visa stamps. Potentially more regulation to monitor and control the falang in the name of safety of the Thai citizen. This is not good news for us law abiding expats. 

I still can't figure out how they located him. The police head honcho stresses how important it is to file a TM30, but the implication is that it wasn't done in this case. Any clues?

Big time fraudster caught!

This Swede stole ~$1 million over three years and hides in Thailand!

Meanwhile, some fat slob named Sam Bankman-Fried embezzles $3-10 billion over roughly the same amount of time and hides in the Bahamas!

I think Thailand really needs to up,its game if it wants to compete as a haven for fraudsters!

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I assumed you basically didn't know how the phrase works.  "A fellow X" indicates that the speaker believes that he too is an example of whatever the X is.  So I thought you had probably made an error, but I had no way of knowing what you meant.

You would need to write "A fellow [nationality]" and then go on to describe them.

Thanks for the lesson Teacher. But you did understand, right?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Iron Tongue said:

Big time fraudster caught!

This Swede stole ~$1 million over three years and hides in Thailand!

Meanwhile, some fat slob named Sam Bankman-Fried embezzles $3-10 billion over roughly the same amount of time and hides in the Bahamas!

I think Thailand really needs to up,its game if it wants to compete as a haven for fraudsters!

So, you think a million us is small potato, right?

After that you ridicule that they caught him, by suggesting they need to up their game. What about that they caught him? Was that good?

18 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I still can't figure out how they located him. The police head honcho stresses how important it is to file a TM30, but the implication is that it wasn't done in this case. Any clues?

Form original article:

"By emphasizing the place of residence where the alien resides, the owner or occupant must notify to the immigration office within 24 hours under section 38 of the Immigration Act 1979, which is considered an important tool in control Prevent and suppress criminal groups that lurk in various forms. "

My interpretation is that immigration was not advised within 24 hours. Although not specifically stated I am specualting that immigration was eventually notified. Unfortunately, this does not bode well for us law abiding expats. All we need now is immigration to demand that we report within  24 hours to our local imnigration office if we travel outside our Thai province. No silver lining here :(. 

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The only surprising thing for me ,he was in Hua Hin  and not Pattaya ,

must be a higher class criminal ......????

regards worgeordie

There is a large Swedish and Norwegian community in Hua Hin and Cha Am. 

21 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Someone grassed him up for sure.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

IB deputy Pol Maj-Gen Phanthana Nucharat said that they were informed by the Nordic police department of the Swedish Embassy that the man had been named in a warrant in Sweden.

The Nordic police ?

On 12/8/2022 at 8:14 AM, webfact said:

The authorities went to his house and announced themselves and when the suspect was satisfied with the documentation he was taken in.

image.jpeg

No finger pointing here ?

May be they were afraid that he would bite it off ...?

On 12/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, Gottfrid said:

That´s great! Amazing to see a fellow dirt bag, that swindle others to get caught while living the high life. Now it´s time to face the music to a different tune. Bye bye Mr. Big!

Seems bad form to be cheering on someone who is apparently doing the same thing as you but was unfortunately caught whilst doing so. 

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The Nordic police ?

It's a typo. They're actually the team that deals with unfortunate foreign men who have been Bobbitted by their wives and had their members fed to ducks. The "No-Dick" Police.

On 12/8/2022 at 2:36 PM, worgeordie said:

The only surprising thing for me ,he was in Hua Hin  and not Pattaya ,

must be a higher class criminal ......????

regards worgeordie

You must be from Sunderland if you think Hua Hin is more upmarket than Pattaya

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

Seems bad form to be cheering on someone who is apparently doing the same thing as you but was unfortunately caught whilst doing so. 

Oh, but see, your the 5th in line to post the same thing. i made a sentence building mistake, and left out the nationality. I saw that after it was too late to correct too. But, I am pretty sure you understand as all the other. Just felt good to post it anyway, right? Or was so bad that you didn´t understand? Think about that on a Friday evening, that will lighten up you weekend start. 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:21 AM, Gottfrid said:

So, you think a million us is small potato, right?

After that you ridicule that they caught him, by suggesting they need to up their game. What about that they caught him? Was that good?

Dude, chillax!

You seem to have missed my sarcasm, so I'll explain it to you.

1. Different govts treat crime differently.  Sweden pursues a man who stole $1 million, while the USA doesn't even arrest someone who has fraudulently stole multiple billions of $ (btw SBF is probably free because he contributed over $40 million to politicians this year, apparently with money stolen from clients)

2. The "upping their game" was directed at criminals not the police, meaning that Thailand deserves wealthier criminals.

-sheesh!

• 1 month later...