Swedish man arrested in Hua Hin - he was hiding out in Thailand after 35M baht accounting fraud at home

webfact

1 minute ago, Bobydog said:

Could well have been a press conference, my "Point" is still the same 

As well as a lack of humour are you aware Immigration here are police officers and that is their normal uniform. They all festoon them with as many badges and ribbons as possible. It's a Thai thing. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

As well as a lack of humour are you aware Immigration here are police officers and that is their normal uniform. They all festoon them with as many badges and ribbons as possible. It's a Thai thing. 

I enjoy a good laugh but there isn't a lot they have done one could call humourous

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Phanthana also stressed the importance of householders in reporting the whereabouts of foreigners at their properties within 24 hours under Article 38.

Do they expect people to report on the movements of Thais in the same way?  Or are they suggesting that only foreigners need to be watched because they are all dangerous?

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The only surprising thing for me ,he was in Hua Hin  and not Pattaya ,

must be a higher class criminal ......????

regards worgeordie

Well, he is accused of stealing nearly $1 million, so he can easily afford a higher class environment.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

From Siam Rath article, translated in Google translate:

"By emphasizing the place of residence where the alien resides, the owner or occupant must notify  to the immigration office within 24 hours under section 38 of the Immigration Act 1979, which is considered an important tool in control  Prevent and suppress criminal groups that lurk in various forms."

Siam Rath is a Thai language only newspaper. Have to copy and paste article into Google translate, 1 section at a time.

That aside, seems TM30 is being invoked here. But who bothers nowadays?

Part of why Air-B&B was a bit problematic in Thailand. I believe that anywhere that rents rooms out for less than 30 days must be registered as a hotel

What you mention is part of the process of checking in a hotel.

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

"By emphasizing the place of residence where the alien resides, the owner or occupant must notify  to the immigration office within 24 hours under section 38 of the Immigration Act 1979, which is considered an important tool in control  Prevent and suppress criminal groups that lurk in various forms."

That aside, seems TM30 is being invoked here. But who bothers nowadays?

Thank you @bradiston. so that refers to section 38 of the Immigration Act 1979, not an article 38.

Which brings quite obvious idea of partial incompetence of that Phanthana. 

Jokes aside, it never ceased to amaze me how freely men-in-uniform play with laws and rules. They apply it whatever they think should be or would be appropriate, not following it ... 

42 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Part of why Air-B&B was a bit problematic in Thailand. I believe that anywhere that rents rooms out for less than 30 days must be registered as a hotel

What you mention is part of the process of checking in a hotel.

Not so. In my daughter's absence and living in what I considered my house, I had to pay a 1600 THB fine for not having been TM30'd by her. I too was grassed up. I argued it was my house as my name was on the building permit. But it's her land. That's all they were interested in. Just myself and another expat were done that time. They came about 150km just for that, including a 50 minute speedboat ride. Farcical. Enemies all around. Snoids. Only once in 15 years.

Edited by bradiston
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Not so. In my daughter's absence and living in what I considered my house, I had to pay a 1600 THB fine for not having been TM30'd by her. I too was grassed up. I argued it was my house as my name was on the building permit. But it's her land. That's all they were interested in. Just myself and another expat were done that time. They came about 150km just for that, including a 50 minute speedboat ride. Farcical. Enemies all around. Snoids. Only once in 15 years.

So, you were renting the house from your daughter through Air-B&B?

(Which is what I specifically mentioned).

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

criminals must love Thailand. Seems everyday there is a report of a foreign criminal being caught

In Thailand the foreign criminals get caught at least. 

In your home country foreign criminals don't even get bothered and live on the taxes you paid. 

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Are you saying you're a dirt bag?

No I was referring to to the country of origin with the word fellow. Everything else he stand alone with in shame. But, on the other hand, you knew that already. Just needed to have your 2 minutes of fun, right? I love easily amused people, so that one is on me. ???? 

5 hours ago, Bobydog said:

Nice to see the Immigration officers dressed in their Millitary uniforms lol, just to remind the pesants who is in control.

Yeah, but you must admit the guy looked like he can trash half an army with his bare hands. ????

6 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Agreed.

Fantastic.

This is the news that rattles my lucky bones.

Guess it´s lottery time then. I will will tell all my Thai friends to come count your hairs to find the answer. ????