Paxlovid availability

habuspasha

23 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I am fascinated by the current inaction in the fight against Covid in Thailand. No Paxlovid, no updated boosters.

I don't know where you get that idea from but Molnupiravir antivirals are widely available here plus boosters are available at every hospital I know of.

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Molnupiravar antiviral works just fine, we finished a four day course last week.

Paxlovid has considerably higher efficacy  than Molnipiravar. More than 2 fold difference.

That said, the great majority of people will do fine without either medication. 

It is important to understand that these drugs have no measurable effect on outcomes (i.e. hospitalizations or deaths) except among people in high risk groups (over age 65, immunosuppressed etc). This is because the rate of hospitalization and death with current COVID variants is already minimal in non-high risk groups.

Also need to be aware that both drugs have contraindications and potentially dangerous interactions with other medications.

Paxlovid (or Molnupiravar if Paxlovid unavailable)  has a definite place in treatment of COVID among properly screened high risk people but is not a panacea. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I don't know where you get that idea from but Molnupiravir antivirals are widely available here plus boosters are available at every hospital I know of.

For god's sake, Paxlovid isn't, neither are the Omicron updated boosters, from Pfizer and Moderna.

Edited by Boomer6969