Ratchadapisek Vs. Sukhumvit Hotels

kenk3z

Last visit I stayed in the Sukhumvit Soi 20/24 neighborhood. Pretty good places as things go, but I'd like to try a different area this time to get to know more of the city.

How does the range of hotels on Ratchadapisek Rd hold up in comparison to the usual farang areas on Sukhumvit? I found a nice place on R that seems to be close to a new subway stop. (One has to hope the subway is running up that far, and looping over to Mor Chit?)

Any comments on the relative differences between these two areas?

Thanks!

kenk3z

• 2 weeks later...

Narrowed this down to the Chaophya Park Hotel on Ratchadapisek Road. Looks like it has a good rate, reasonable rooms, and is right at a new subway stop.

I would be interested to read any comments from anyone who has visited here.

Thanks,

kenk3z

Ratchada pisek is best known for large massage parlors and a pub murder. It was built on a government right of way (railway I believe) a little over 20 years ago and most development has been transit in nature. There are now about 4 large hotels and three shopping centers. It is the main bathroom and tile selling area outside of Chinatown. There are a few large open air type restaurants. But it is not a downtown type city street like Sukhumvit and few walk there. With the subway it is an easy ride to Sukhumvit/Rama 4 and on to the main railway station. In the other direction to Latphao Road/Central plaza, the old Morchit/weekend market and on to Bang Sue railway station. It does not go to the new Northern Bus Station but does connect with Skytrain at old Morchit. There is nothing of a tourist nature but by taking the subway to railway station you will be close to old city so location is no longer a problem.

Last visit I stayed in the Sukhumvit Soi 20/24 neighborhood. Pretty good places as things go, but I'd like to try a different area this time to get to know more of the city.

How does the range of hotels on Ratchadapisek Rd hold up in comparison to the usual farang areas on Sukhumvit? I found a nice place on R that seems to be close to a new subway stop. (One has to hope the subway is running up that far, and looping over to Mor Chit?)

Any comments on the relative differences between these two areas?

Thanks!

kenk3z

Stayed in a Ratcha Hotel (on the strip) a few months ago for 3 nights,reason being freind was on package holiday and was placed there, would not be my choice however as the area seems to cater for affluent Thais and Japanese tourists. :o

You mean its close to those sudsy places? Surely not the Poseidon Entertainment Complex? How could I have known that? I just picked a place close to the subway with a good price.............

Just practising the explanations... :o

kenk3z