Retirement Extensions

Anyone care to explain why you can spend all the monthly deposits(from an overseas source) for 12 months of your extension if you choose this method of extension.

Whereas if you use the ฿800,000 deposit method for 12 months you can only use half of your deposit.

Is this Thai logic at work, or do I think too much????

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, puchooay said:

It's to ensure you have the funds and have not borrowed them. If you need to keep half in the bank there is no way you could pay it back.

So the Thai immigration are looking after the foreigners on retirement extensions to stop them going into debt. 

That's thoughtful of them

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

So the Thai immigration are looking after the foreigners on retirement extensions to stop them going into debt. 

That's thoughtful of them

Because that's the rule for 'their' country.  As with every country ...

... LOVE IT or LEAVE IT ... door swings both ways 

Seriously ... if you can't afford, or don't have 400k in savings for emergencies, you probably shouldn't be living internationally, and stay in home country with their useless safety nets.  

Go bankrupt there, it's safer, as at least they'll admit you to a hospital.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because using income method proves you have earnings coming in and it can be replaced?  A bank account only shows amount on deposit - it does not indicate any means to add to it, so a relatively minor personal or medical emergency could become a major financial issue.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Because using income method proves you have earnings coming in and it can be replaced?  A bank account only shows amount on deposit - it does not indicate any means to add to it, so a relatively minor personal or medical emergency could become a major financial issue.

And for those of us using the 'Combination' method, we get the best of both worlds.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Because using income method proves you have earnings coming in and it can be replaced?  A bank account only shows amount on deposit - it does not indicate any means to add to it, so a relatively minor medical emergency could become a major financial issue.

You can use half the deposit for seven months of the year to support yourself which is the same amount as required for a marriage extension, which can be used. Then you top up to ฿800,000 and that would indicate indicate you can support yourself with earnings.

The same as an extension using the monthly deposit method, which you can spend the lot over 12 months.

So why the other ฿400,000 required on deposit?

Thai logic at it's best

Edited by ozfarang
  • Thanks 1

This is For some reason they only count what comes in and not what goes out.. this was the day when I used to get letter From embassy to clarify my income .they only looked at bank statement and saw the correct amount .they not see I put it in and took straight out...

4 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Is this Thai logic at work, or do I think too much

You thin too much. You take pride  in yearly accomplishments of getting a "refugee visa" (yearly retirement via) for 1900. 

Edited by Onerak

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Go bankrupt there, it's safer, as at least they'll admit you to a hospital.

Not in the USA unless it is an emergency and they will only stabilize you to prevent your death so that they could hound you to give them their money back or declare bankruptcy and live on the street. 

3 minutes ago, Onerak said:

You thin too much. You take pride  in yearly accomplishments of getting a "refugee visa" (yearly retirement via) for 1900. 

You've read me wrong @Onerak

I use an agent, been jerked around for too many years by immigration

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onerak said:

Not in the USA unless it is an emergency and they will only stabilize you to prevent your death so that they could hound you to give them their money back or declare bankruptcy and live on the street. 

Yes, but at least they admit you & save your life ... here, maybe not.  They wanted payment in advance at the Govt hosp last month or so, or no admittance.

I understand the thinking behind both requirements is to have retirees capable of meeting any medical expenses while in Thailand, however, I could be entirely wrong. Presumably the lower bar for people married to a Thai is based on the proposition you have family support, hence less cash is required.

Winston Churchill once described Russia as "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma." He would have been really baffled by Thailand.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

They wanted payment in advance at the Govt hosp last month or so, or no admittance.

I was admitted to to Bangkok Pattaya hospital and they did not ask for payment in advance. I even joked when clearing by bills what would happen if I don't pay and walk out. Are you guys going to call police? 

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, but at least they admit you & save your life ... here, maybe not.  They wanted payment in advance at the Govt hosp last month or so, or no admittance.

Must depend on hospital because last month I was admitted to a government hospital on emergency and stayed one night without paying in advance. However, they would not release me until payment in full.

13 hours ago, Onerak said:

Not true. Once admitted they will not discharge for lack of funds as your as payment or insurance is taken care of after the fact in almost all cases

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

'Coz they think the wife can work and support themselves. :unsure::cheesy::cheesy:

That's a good point. My wife has worked ever since we've been together. She's always had her own money, with the exception of the time when she was taking care of our new born daughter.

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

'Coz they think the wife can work and support themselves. :unsure::cheesy::cheesy:

Yes, and the husband can legally work with a work permit.

Retired, need ฿800,000/65,000 p/m can use 400,000 for seven months and then top up. 

Married, ฿400,000/40,000 p/m

What's the logic behind the different amounts required was the question

On 12/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Thai logic again, also why a single retiree needs 65k a month, if married only 40k

According to Thai thinking, having a Thai wife would enable a man to live for less - because his wife can help him avoid being cheated/paying farang prices for things. A single farang doesn't have this advantage, so he needs more money.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

According to Thai thinking, having a Thai wife would enable a man to live for less - because his wife can help him avoid being cheated/paying farang prices for things. A single farang doesn't have this advantage, so he needs more money.

ok, plausible, i thought the logic was single men go to agogos so spend more