Visa problems for foreigners applying in Penang at the moment

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

nope. 

Although the stamps were real, or copies from the same manufacturer, they just weren't in the correct hands 

it was an entire ring. i knew about a dozen expats in bangkok that were caught out. 

It cost them money and some travel to fix,  but in the end it wasn't jail and a 100 year ban.

oh the drama.

Why would they send their passports to Ko Tao? ;D

I know it does happen .. there was a report a few years ago, the agent got hold of some stickers, I believe, and yes, really 100 years?

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

People are desperate to travel now that they can.

Lots of Canadians and Americans coming to Samui at the moment and with the $  exchange rate, Thailand seems cheap to them.

us dollar dropped a lot the past few weeks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What a load of bovine droppings.

When on holiday in LOS I never had booked/ paid accommodation before I arrived beyond first night in Bkk.

Thousands of guest houses and small hotels/ resorts depend on walk in tourists just booking on the spot ( like I did ), so what happens to them?

Seems immigration has been taken over by idiots that know nothing about how tourism in LOS worked in the past, or they are in collusion with the sort of hotels/ resorts that will benefit from such a moronic policy.

Who wants to be forced to stay in one place even if it turns out to be unsatisfactory?

Why is Thai immigration apparently doing everything it can to put people off going to LOS?

Consulates are not run by Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, hotchilli said:

120 persons seeking visa applications only 50 per day being accepted into the offices.

Maybe they should look into this quickly, that's a lot of annoyed people who are going to be hanging around locally wondering what to do. 

Chiang Mai immigration also had a limit per day. One had to arrive by 4 am to have a decent chance of getting a q ticket. One of the reasons I used agent- they were at the front of the line waiting at 4 am.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Immigration make the policy they have to follow, or are you saying they invent their own rules without reference to immigration?

From reading this site over the years it seems they have quite the leeway when it comes to visa requirements. That's why some consulates are considered 'easy' and others are  'avoid at all costs'.

It seems Penang may have decided that this recent influx of applicants aren't 'genuine tourists' and are making life difficult for them. I guess it's pretty hard to run that 'illegal' dive shop if you're stuck in Georgetown for a week queuing up at the Consulate every day from 7AM.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

120 persons seeking visa applications only 50 per day being accepted into the offices.

Maybe they should look into this quickly, that's a lot of annoyed people who are going to be hanging around locally wondering what to do. 

If they are in Malaysia then Nasi Kandar Pelita!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Once again, it is not  immigration dictating these policies, 

The stupidity is occurring at the consular level, and the consulates seem to have a certain amount of autonomy when limiting queue numbers and establishing insane criteria like prepaid accommodation.

Does Immigration make policy or just enforce it?  Immigration Rules come from above via legislators and committees. Consulates are under the Ministry of Foreign affairs. They don't care about tourism, and probably are not happy to find out when certain "tourists" they gave visas to turn out to be Criminals. 

I do wish everyone was playing on the same page.  

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Immigration make the policy they have to follow, or are you saying they invent their own rules without reference to immigration?

While the cabinet may influence decisions, and Immigration has a say when the cabinet is considering such matters, visa policy is set by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Immigration Bureau is not under the MFA, but is a branch of the Thai police under the Ministry of the Interior. Consular officials at individual embassies and consulates also tend to have the discretion to adjust conditions somewhat, as they feel is appropriate to local conditions.

• Thanks 2

On 12/14/2022 at 10:52 AM, alex8912 said:

Fifty a day is ridiculous and they know already 120 have shown up some mornings! If paperwork is in order a simple 60 day visa ( without proof of accommodation for ENTIRE stay ) should be easy to process and way more than 50 could easily be processed if Thailand wants to make more high season $$. If it takes one or two days ( later ) to get why can't 200 a day be done? This isn't rocket science. I bet there will be many more 30 day visas given out on line for Vietnam now. Of course Vietnam is promoting itself actually. 

Do not worry, there is a solution in the pipeline, it is known as the E-visa platform.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why is Thai immigration apparently doing everything it can to put people off going to LOS?

They have been put in their place in the past.

"BANGKOK: Thailand’s coup leader and prime minister-in-waiting, Gen Prayuth Chan-Ocha last night (August 22) called for the Immigration crackdown on “out-in” tourist visas to be rolled back."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/coup-leader-calls-for-immigration-to-relax-‘out-in’-visa-clampdown-48007.php

On 12/14/2022 at 6:42 AM, Classic Ray said:

But I know Thais are obsessed with queueing and dealing face to face, customer service and convenience are at the end of the line.

Much the same thing can, of course, be said about the cumbersomely nonsensical British passport renewal process from Thailand  by substituting "HMPO is" for "Thais are" in your post.

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

finally some good news then. ????

Certainly, it can contribute to the hospitality industries in some countries that compete with Thailand. There is also an argument that it leads to better service and lower prices for those foreigners willing to navigate the obstacles involved in spending time here. I still feel a little sorry for those from cold climates that are just looking for a relaxing, warm place to spend half the year.