Stallions makina 250sp or Gpx legend twin 250. Kindly suggest me.

dany7

Dear pros, I'm staying in Thailand for a shorter term of approximately 3 to 6 months. Thinking of buying a second hand motorcycle (as I was not able to find a rental bike for my needs in my budget). Wanna choose between one of the following:

Stallions makina 250 sp (40k baht)

Stallions sm250 (35k baht)
Gpx legend twin 250 (44k baht)
Gpx legend 200 (30k baht)

I weigh around 120kg, 175cm. I'm experienced in driving manual motorcycles. So no issues with that. Thinking of going for long distance rides with the motorcycle. Like from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (with an overnight stays inbetween). So mainly looking for comfort. 

Do kindly suggest which one is the best for my needs. Thanks much ????

P.s. whether gpx legend 200 is enough if I'm strict in budget?

Edited by dany7

6 minutes ago, dany7 said:

Can you kindly suggest me some model numbers?

Personally I wouldn't touch Stallions.

Don't know what you mean by model numbers, there's only one Honda 500X motorbike. 

High Mileage is not important with this bike buying S/hand and they are being bought at reasonable prices and can be sold again with little loss. 

I know of one for sale if interested with extras which is going for around 120k.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Personally I wouldn't touch Stallions.

Don't know what you mean by model numbers, there's only one Honda 500X motorbike. 

High Mileage is not important with this bike buying S/hand and they are being bought at reasonable prices and can be sold again with little loss. 

I know of one for sale if interested with extras which is going for around 120k.

Got it. Buy unfortunately Honda 500x is out of my budget. I guess I should go for legend 250 twin. Thanks ????

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, papa al said:

Prolly all decent bikes.

None going to be overly comfortable.

Twin would be cool.

& able to attach rear rack.?

Are you buying from dealer

or looking online.?

Yeah. I read some decent reviews for twin 250 than the stallions. So decided to go for that. Unfortunately I'm not able to find a dealer yet for buying a second hand twin 250 gpx. Can you suggest some if you know one? As of now I have found couple of FB marketplace listings and some kaidee ads. But not sure how reliable they gonna be. 

One guy from FB marketplace has said he can deliver it to my place but the ownership transfer has to be done by me. Can anyone suggest what's the process of transferring ownership? Is it necessary if I wanna sell the bike in 3 to 6 months when I leave Thailand? I'm a total newbie on this. Kindly guide me ???? thanks a lot in advance. 

1 hour ago, dany7 said:

One guy from FB marketplace has said he can deliver it to my place but the ownership transfer has to be done by me.

Have him deliver to Land Transport Office

and hire an agent there.

Agents set up shop there.

Otherwise no-go.

You will need a certificate of residency from Immigration.

That's it.

• Like 2

An old Honda CB300 if find one you can afford, will be better than any of those, otherwise the GPX twin I guess...

The main problem with those bikes is vibration , going hundreds of kilometers a day, your hands go numb from it ...(been there done that) ! So twin might just be a bit better...

But who knows, never buy these kind of second hand bikes unless you test drive them first , and for your purpose of long trips, make sure to take it to at least 90 or 100kph - if your tooth fillings are still intact after that, it's good to go.... Lol ????

Now as a Forza owner, I am biased, but if find an old one for say 50k baht, is possible..., it can easily take your 120kg weight to the end of the world, and back, while you feel like sitting on a sofa all the way...! ????, no vibration, no tiredness, with taller screen, not much wind, and plenty underseat room for a long trip... - and I get 330km on a tank full...!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 7:45 PM, papa al said:

Have him deliver to Land Transport Office

and hire an agent there.

Agents set up shop there.

Otherwise no-go.

You will need a certificate of residency from Immigration.

That's it.

On 12/15/2022 at 8:16 PM, In the jungle said:

You could buy a Honda CBR 250 within your budget.

A better choice IMO in terms of quality, service and support in Thailand and resale when the time comes.  I don't like their looks but it is a rock solid bike.

And I agree with the last post.  Anything more complex than paying annual vehicle tax at the Transport Department I use an agent.  

On 12/16/2022 at 1:00 AM, liddelljohn said:

big GPX dealer in Prattaya  same shop as Royal Enfield  ,,, MITYON  they are better bikes than stallions

On 12/16/2022 at 11:17 AM, Agusts said:

An old Honda CB300 if find one you can afford, will be better than any of those, otherwise the GPX twin I guess...

The main problem with those bikes is vibration , going hundreds of kilometers a day, your hands go numb from it ...(been there done that) ! So twin might just be a bit better...

But who knows, never buy these kind of second hand bikes unless you test drive them first , and for your purpose of long trips, make sure to take it to at least 90 or 100kph - if your tooth fillings are still intact after that, it's good to go.... Lol ????

Now as a Forza owner, I am biased, but if find an old one for say 50k baht, is possible..., it can easily take your 120kg weight to the end of the world, and back, while you feel like sitting on a sofa all the way...! ????, no vibration, no tiredness, with taller screen, not much wind, and plenty underseat room for a long trip... - and I get 330km on a tank full...!

Sorry, got busy with work. Finally I decided to get either Gpx legend twin II 250cc or Honda Phantom 200cc as these two fall under my budget and as I'm not able to find Honda 250 or 300 under my budget. Any suggestions on which one of these two to go with? 

Gpx legend twin II - 8000kms driven with all proper documents. 40k baht. 

Honda phantom - 30000 kms driven. Two owners. Green book available. 25k baht. 

Also can I just get the bike with green book and drive to my province and can i able to change ownership here? (Seller is from another province). 
Or do I need him here to achieve that?

P.s: I don't have Thai license yet (IDP also I didn't get unfortunately). About to get Thai license this week. Is Thai license or IDP must for change of ownership? Or will the agents take care of it? (Have my country driving licence though)

Sorry for too many questions. I'm very new to all of this ????
Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, dany7 said:

Is Thai license or IDP must for change of ownership?

A driver license is not a requirement for registering a vehicle in your name.

9 minutes ago, dany7 said:

Also can I just get the bike with green book and drive to my province and can i able to change ownership here? (Seller is from another province). 
Or do I need him here to achieve that?

He does not have to be there but you need the right paperwork which probably includes copy of his ID card and some filled out forms. Better enquire at your local DLT as to what they will want to see.

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

A driver license is not a requirement for registering a vehicle in your name.

He does not have to be there but you need the right paperwork which probably includes copy of his ID card and some filled out forms. Better enquire at your local DLT as to what they will want to see.

Thank you very much 

For long trips out of town, and if you like cruiser style bike, Phantom will be fine, they are old but still going strong....! First test drive, make sure the clutch is not too clunky, I have test driven a few of these, and there is a world of difference depending on what condition it is in..., you need to try a few to know it..., change the oil more frequently on these...., 30k km mileage that would be really good, more like 130k km they are ... ! ? lol 

As mentioned driving license is not needed for registration, you need all paperwork signed by owner, make sure he also signs a power of attorney form, all in DLT office...

You can do all at your province, they first change the number plate to province, then transfer it to your name..., I have done it once by myself, with correct paperwork it is easy...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

For long trips out of town, and if you like cruiser style bike, Phantom will be fine, they are old but still going strong....! First test drive, make sure the clutch is not too clunky, I have test driven a few of these, and there is a world of difference depending on what condition it is in..., you need to try a few to know it..., change the oil more frequently on these...., 30k km mileage that would be really good, more like 130k km they are ... ! ? lol 

As mentioned driving license is not needed for registration, you need all paperwork signed by owner, make sure he also signs a power of attorney form, all in DLT office...

You can do all at your province, they first change the number plate to province, then transfer it to your name..., I have done it once by myself, with correct paperwork it is easy...

Thanks much for your suggestion. I will try to test drive few phantom first. I too have read about the comfort of phantom for long rides.