Cable car system proposed by Pattaya City officials to solve Pattaya traffic problems

webfact

April 1st now? ? .. Thai officials seriously proposed ideas beat vast majority of global April 1st jokes in their entertainment value. 

Quite an achievement per se. 

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I would go for underground Metro instead of the cable car, any  someone in the near future going to suggest it right?...

I heard metro was rejected as too straightforward.

This is still secret so keep to yourself: The soon to be released new proposal to complement the cable car system is thai-designed subterranean network of submarines. Routes same as current baht us routes. Flooding proof system they concluded in the committee. Still pending the germans confirming the engines though. 

Edited by mran66

5 hours ago, Gold Star said:

What a stupid idea.

People come to walk along the seaside and along the beach, stopping along the way, not be crammed into a hot metal box from end to end.

It seems they want to address foot traffic, unless you can hang your vehicle below the cablecar.

Why not just send a drone, and people could just watch the beach online from their own country?

A street car system would be a good idea I think but it'd take 200 years to  complete.

As most have said, terrible idea.  Basically, a small, cheap band-aid proposed for a large, gaping gunshot wound.  Does nothing to improve the traffic bottlenecks at many of the major intersections, such as Sukumvit-North Pattaya Road.   The two remaining not constructed underpasses of the three originally proposed for Sukumvit need to be done--they should be priority 1, starting with the one under Sukumvit-North Pattaya. 

Old, decrepit, City Hall needs to be bulldozed and a large parking garage constructed there, with the main station for a surface trolley car system.  City Hall does not need to be in that prime location.  Park your car there and hop on the trolley if you are going to the beach or other areas in central Pattaya.   Parking needs to be eliminated entirely on Beach Road and Second Road, freeing up space for the trolley to run, and to add traffic lanes and tour bus drop-off lanes.   Other parking garages in other areas, also linked to the trolley, need to be constructed, as well.  Where the trolley runs, street parking needs to be eliminated.

With its huge and continuing growth, the city needs to be thinking long-range, years into the future rather than coming up with these pitiful, little, short-term, unworkable ideas that are doomed to fail and do nothing to address the severe traffic problems Pattaya is already experiencing--and, with Thailand only at around one-fourth of 2019's international tourist numbers.   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, newnative said:

With its huge and continuing growth, the city needs to be thinking long-range, years into the future rather than coming up with these pitiful, little, short-term, unworkable ideas that are doomed to fail and do nothing to address the severe traffic problems Pattaya is already experiencing

thinking long-range, years into the future

LOL.

I doubt thought goes much further than thinking up the next brown envelope project.

• Like 1

Is it my imagination, but are the pylons and the buildings in the picture leaning, and by different amounts? Stupid idea, and bound to be poorly executed at outrageous cost, achieving nothing useful except envelopes, of course.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, aseanfan said:

How about closing the beach road to all traffic except for baht buses, and run those in both directions.  The icing on the cake would be to also install a canal, and run baht boats for when the beach road floods.

and jet ski's too, you've gotta have jet ski's on the canal.

Inventive suggestion, but it doesn't solve anything unless there are multiple stops along the way.  No one wants to go from Walking street to just Na Klua.

This also would create parking jams at these I'd guess as you have to get to it's launch point with a vehicle as well.

It's interesting if you could get off every 1000 meters or so but I don't think that's how it can be made to operate.

When I first read about this I thought, wow that might be charming and cool to have a cable car system similar to San Francisco. But then i saw the picture of a suspension wire car system and thought to myself. These people have no idea what they are getting themselves into.  Disney land in Anaheim California has/had a suspension car system and of all the rides and attractions it required the highest amount of maintenance. They are asking for a nightmare.

• Like 2