Cable car system proposed by Pattaya City officials to solve Pattaya traffic problems

webfact

The real issue is too many cars, and a very unfriendly pedestrian street design. Cable cars don't carry cars!

Most of the sidewalks are a wreck and even the new sidewalks take years to repair and finish. Pattaya Klang sidewalks are still unfinished about 2 years later. Pattaya, Tai sidewalk tiles are already broken in many places, and in many places the tiles haven't been completed, this project is about 3 years in progress. Now beach road, beachside sidewalk at the northend is a wreck and it has replaced about 3 times in the past 6 years. Beach road sidewalk, on the east side is a wreck, many places places are occupied by merchants, utility poles, and other obstructions that limit passage to one person. All of the smaller Sois leading to beach road don't have sidewalks.

Wake-up Pattaya City Hall, and make Pattaya a pedestrian friendly city, at least between the beach and Sukhumvit highway. Also get all of pedestrian crossings on beach road painted and the traffic crossing lights working. Finally, get the Police to enforce the traffic lights.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, aseanfan said:

How about closing the beach road to all traffic except for baht buses, and run those in both directions.  The icing on the cake would be to also install a canal, and run baht boats for when the beach road floods.

Canals lol like flooding wouldn’t blow it all up 

45 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

Or the bus system?

We really had that for a short time. Maybe I shouldn't use that word in connection with Pattaya. They also want to remove the illegal buildings on the Walking Street and the unfinished landmark Waterfront condo at Bali Hai. By the way. Tonight is the lottery drawing. Do you know a place where I can buy the tickets for 80 Baht ???????????? Just kidding. 

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Look at how poorly literally everything is maintained here. Looks great when it's new, and then not a baht put into maintenance after that until it's completely fallen apart.
And then it's a series of shoddy makeshift repairs designed to do just enough to keep it running for the least amount of cost.

Look at the roads and sidewalks. The ongoing saga that is Beach Road every rainy season. All those "improvements to remove cables". (Have they actually removed any ?)

I see large stacks of (8"/20cm) water pipes stacked alongside the railway bypass road so I'm guessing they'll be digging that up again in a project that should take a couple weeks but will still be ongoing 2 years later.

And remember the public bus system that was supposed to be the answer to everything ? How's that working out ? I still chuckle every time I ride over a painted "bus stop" on the road.

When the baht bus mafia started blocking the buses and parking in the bus stops, the authorities should have started arresting them and taking their trucks off the road. Instead they caved in and took the buses off the road instead.

Can't see anyone seriously thinking a ludicrious cable car in the sky system would even get past the proposal stage. 

Nevermind what condition those "cars" would be in within weeks of going into operation. Unless they were being cleaned 8 times a day (555555555) they'd be full of used condoms, dirty needles, cigarette butts and empty food packages in no time.

And stuck full of people everytime the power goes out during a storm.

Yeah, that will really help Pattaya's image !

"Look at how poorly literally everything is maintained here. Looks great when it's new, and then not a baht put into maintenance after that until it's completely fallen apart."

Unfortunately, I learned this lesson after I purchased my condo unit, never again will I buy in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Gold Star said:

What a stupid idea.

People come to walk along the seaside and along the beach, stopping along the way, not be crammed into a hot metal box from end to end.

It seems they want to address foot traffic, unless you can hang your vehicle below the cablecar.

Why not just send a drone, and people could just watch the beach online from their own country?

but how can I buy my somtam off the vendors if I'm up there ..not to mention my Chang from 7

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Without them it would be mayhem today. Did you see Bkk pre ‘99?

Yes, and some members will no doubt remember the occasional late afernoons/early evenings when there would be police on the streets with megaphones telling  all car and bus drivers and pedestrians that traffic was totally jammed across numerous intersections etc.

And there was no chance of traffic moving at all for many hours and suggesting that everybody vacate buses and just start walking home, and all pedestrians same. 

Also in those days it was normal to see people hanging off the sides of buses (outside of the buses) with their arms wrapped around the pillars which contained the windows that could be manually raided/lowered.

In this era the total number of air-con buses was very small. In peak hours if you could get on an air-con bus it would be full, jammed tighter than sardines in a can.  Getting off at the desired destination bus stop was quite some exercise.

I am seeing a possible issue with this solution.

Suppose I get on at Soi 3 Pattaya Beach Road and wanna get off at Soi 8 Pattaya Beach Road, that would mean all the other "carriages" behind would have to stop as well.

????

The simple answer is two put in place a simple circlular one way tram system a figure which could round down beach road then on turning left some trams would travel up first road, and other would travel up and turn into soi b. Travel on these roads would be restricted to travel in the same direction as the trams. The drivers of the trams could be recuited and trained baht bus drivers. to remove them from the streets. a fixed fee could be charged same as now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Card said:

Has the BTS, BRT and MRT solved Bangkok's traffic problem?

Of course not. Compare the network with real commuter networks like London, Paris, New York etc.

Look at these tiny capacity BTS trains.

Compared and in relation to the number of travelers just a drop in the ocean.

Pattaya has a traffic problem about pedestrians along beach road??

What a brain fart.

As long as there are zero restrictions for private traffic, 24/7 on beach, 2nd rd, all side Sois nothing will change. Thailand is in an automobile dependent status like Europe in the 1950s. Free parking on the road, free parking for shoppers!!! In Switzerland you can not find a free (no cost) parking in the most sleepy district towns.

The videos from the last firework festival were just unbelievable.

Even pedestrians and bicyclist had to give up not to speak of anything motorized.

Beware you need an ambulance.

When will a stampede happen? Some idiot shouting bomb?

Every Somchai tries to drive close to the event. No shuttle from organized parking outside. No road blocks.

Every evening traffic chaos becomes part of the folklore (until you get hit by some crazy motorcyclist)

Close to zero policing even for the few rules that exist.

"Baht bus" as the backbone of public transport?

What a joke.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1