Chiang Mai sure has changed

mania

20 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

If you experienced CM pre 2010 like me, you saw it’s best.   It will never, ever get back to that mystique for anyone!   Lol.      I cannot tell you about the “new” CM city I’m currently living in, because it’s now the best!     Almost every city is great then ruined…….you must not be a sheep and follow!   Lol

Yes actually we bought our Chiang Mai Condo in 2004 but lived there only 3-4 months a year till 2012 then full time. So I agree it was very nice back then. Clean not overcrowded & still looked like Thailand

Hahah also like you we now have a house in the country in an area we too will not mention ???? Bangkok folks already traveling here a lot to take back to the land type selfies ????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Both those location have been a horror story for driving in a car.  Nothing new there.

Other places were turned into ghost towns (some still are).  Overall driving city-wide isn't much difference between now and when you left.  I wouldn't use Nimmanhaemin and Chang Phueak as your gauges for what all of Chiang Mai driving is like. 

Also, Chiang Mai is expanding outwards.  There are a lot of new bedroom communities springing out where they were still growing rice a few years back.  So I'd expect traffic to get heavier on those artial highways branching out from the center of CM while central Chiang Mai deteriorates.

Yes I agree those places were always "busy" but now are basically full gridlock

Also we were not going to Nim as it always was a cluster F@3\#!  always !

( My bad for describing that poorly)

But instead as I said we were on Canal heading towards Nim direction as we were headed to 700 year stadium,

But that aside the Canal road is just full stop. I felt bad for an ambulance as they tried to get thru as obviously they could not.

Yes there are some nice new areas outside CM & we did in fact go visit a few considering whether or not we wanted to maybe move back to CM. Some nice homes for good prices actually! But after two trips of a week each we're sad to say giving CM a pass as any future living idea

Was nice though as we are cyclist & rode the usual Bhubing Palace & Samoeng Loop etc & those were nice...Suthep climb crowded as heck (a Saturday so expected)& we started before sunrise but nice

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Like all Thailand cities and towns, its just gotten uglier and uglier through uncontrolled "development"

???? I was telling my wife about the counting crows Big Yellow Taxi song

they paved paradise put up a parking lot ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

“Chang Klan road? What happened? looks like so many places boarded up now & the whole road basically in a state of disrepair”

Many part of the city have grown but the area where Pantip Plaza starts down to the Astra Condo looks like a zombie battle has occurred.  At night it is very quiet.  I am moving next year and the Astra Condo is impressive but the neighborhood does not offer much.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mania said:

But instead as I said we were on Canal heading towards Nim direction as we were headed to 700 year stadium,

But that aside the Canal road is just full stop. I felt bad for an ambulance as they tried to get thru as obviously they could not.

Yes there are some nice new areas outside CM & we did in fact go visit a few considering whether or not we wanted to maybe move back to CM. Some nice homes for good prices actually! But after two trips of a week each we're sad to say giving CM a pass as any future living idea

Was nice though as we are cyclist & rode the usual Bhubing Palace & Samoeng Loop etc & those were nice...Suthep climb crowded as heck (a Saturday so expected)& we started before sunrise but nice

they need separate lanes for emergency vehicles.  thai think.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

“Chang Klan road? What happened? looks like so many places boarded up now & the whole road basically in a state of disrepair”

Many part of the city have grown but the area where Pantip Plaza starts down to the Astra Condo looks like a zombie battle has occurred.  At night it is very quiet.  I am moving next year and the Astra Condo is impressive but the neighborhood does not offer much.  

Exactly !

3 hours ago, mania said:

There's a flower festival on at 700yr stadium.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I could include Chiang Mai Erotic Gardens, if it is still going. There's an interesting collection of Thai proverbs in Thai and English at the Doi Saket temple.

Chiang Rai is a jumping off point for so much more, Mae Sai markets, Phu Chi Fa, White Temple, Blue Temple, Black House, Doi Mae Salong, Doi Mae Mon, Chiang Saen Skywalk, the Mekong, Doi Chang and Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan.

I suppose with time Chiang Rai will become as congested as Chiang Mai.

Very interesting indeed, bringing back many happy memories when I was a Tourist Police Volunteer based in Chiang Rai, before moving across country to Khon Kaen Province. Regarding traffic in CR, the newish by-pass (via airport) might help divert traffic from the City centre.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

You should check out Fang/Chai Prakhan districts. Yes they're around 140kms from CM, but it's a nice rural style of living (still idiots on the roads but no traffic gridlocks) and there are some excellent rides for cyclists. My wife and I cycle and there are so many different types of rides. Flat ones, undulating ones, serious hill climbs (Doi Ang Khang e.g)

I have seen videos of Doi Ang Khang ! Looks great

We ride a lot in the northern areas too

• Love It 1