Chiang Mai sure has changed

mania

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

... most young people I meet down south, did visit CM and even told me ....

“what if I've forgotten the most important thing? What if somewhere inside me there is a dark limbo where all the truly important memories are heaped and slowly turning into mud?” Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

I do not trust my own memory, let alone my memories of the memories of others.

~o:37;

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, orang37 said:

“what if I've forgotten the most important thing? What if somewhere inside me there is a dark limbo where all the truly important memories are heaped and slowly turning into mud?” Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

I do not trust my own memory, let alone my memories of the memories of others.

Maybe it is time for the daily medication?

On 1/5/2023 at 2:59 PM, mania said:

555 yeah sure there is always the "don't like it don't come poster" ????

We loved it owned & lived many years in CM & as you said medical facilities are quite good.

Problem is these days if you are in an emergency situation you will likely die before reaching those fine facilities in a traffic gridlock somewhere????

Due to lack of planning/space for emergency vehicles to pass

also lack of education where Thai me first drivers refuse to move.

Also Yes as you said for sure the whole world changes...always BUT

Some places change for the better but some places like CM changed for the worse due to lack of a planning department/corruption/ education yada yada yada

But good you have a place your happy with...carry on enjoying

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Most, if not all Dutch cities have improved dramatically the last few decades. In terms of livability, noise, traffic, public transport etc.

I see no such improvements in Chiang Mai. Perhaps Bangkok is improving but Chiang Mai definitely isn't. In not a single category.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Most, if not all Dutch cities have improved dramatically

we all want to see what we want to see..... I see CM as the best city in the world, and Dutch cities really declining to levels much, much worse than before when I enjoyed visiting there.    CM really has everything for me, and the pace is simply too fast and great for the old timers who cannot adapt!!!!!   lol

or I could say the complete opposite.... again, everyone paints the picture they want.   Clearly TONS of people love CM, clearly.    It's like seeing a bad story on America and then reading about 10000 zillion people trying to get in to America....your mind must pick one story that it will like, something simple, easy to process without any real research.

Thailand will be great until I leave, then its best days will be gone and it will all go downhill until I die...and then Thailand will never recover because I said so.....lol.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Clearly TONS of people love CM, clearly.    It's like seeing a bad story on America and then reading about 10000 zillion people trying to get in to America.

Very good example

If we look at the quality of folks trying to get into America it is mostly folks coming from a real <deleted>hole South of the border

So I guess it all depends on where you came from in comparison to where you now claim to Love ???? Maybe tons of people love today's version of CM for that very reason ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

....your mind must pick one story that it will like, something simple, easy to process without any real research.

how about I pick: I moved to Chiang Mai because I wanted to live here ... and, I like living here ... and, here is as different than it was many years ago, as I am ?

,,, well, as the song says: "my momma told me there'd be days like this."

• Love It 1

On 1/9/2023 at 12:17 PM, Bassosa said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Most, if not all Dutch cities have improved dramatically the last few decades. In terms of livability, noise, traffic, public transport etc.

I see no such improvements in Chiang Mai. Perhaps Bangkok is improving but Chiang Mai definitely isn't. In not a single category.

ok - don't come back

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BobBKK said:

ok - don't come back

Just stating facts, not being dramatic.

One can be perfectly happy living in a city that is in decline. I imagine many Americans are in situations like this.

Edited by Bassosa

On 12/21/2022 at 7:23 PM, Lacrimas said:

Are you a university student?

Comment about question deleted.

I had to drop the nephew off at his residence. Only did it once, as refused to drive there again. Streets were planned by an idiot, IMO ( probably not planned at all ).

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 1/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, Bassosa said:

I had the feeling while living in C M that the council didn't actually do anything except spend their salaries. 

They didn't fix the pavements, remove derelict telephone boxes obstructing pedestrians, employ road cleaners, or put on public celebrations at New Year. Certainly did nothing about the traffic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:28 PM, BananaStrong said:

the pace is simply too fast and great for the old timers who cannot adapt!!!!!   lol

Obviously not referring to the traffic ( jams are as bad as Bkk ) or the night life ( dead as the proverbial Dodo ).

I have no idea just what is too fast, unless comparing to Chiang Dao village.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had the feeling while living in C M that the council didn't actually do anything except spend their salaries. 

They didn't fix the pavements, remove derelict telephone boxes obstructing pedestrians, employ road cleaners, or put on public celebrations at New Year. Certainly did nothing about the traffic.

Also do nothing about graffiti.

Edited by JimmyJ

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's still like that, but after 8 years here new I do feel it's getting a little better. Just a tiny bit more attention for city beautification.

Rumours even that communication lines are going underground in large sections of the moat. Imagine that. The CM moat without the warrens of comm lines.

Edited by Bassosa

1 minute ago, Bassosa said:

It's still like that, but after 8 years here new I do feel it's getting a little better. Just a tiny bit more attention for city beautification.

Rumours even that communication lines are going underground in large sections of the moat. Imagine that. The CM moat without the warrens of comm lines. Work supposed to have already started?

Beautiful day here in Maeon..Moo10....Sun shinning with a crystal clear blue sky...Dogs and chooks all sleeping as per usual under our durian...banana..date palm..papaya trees..and at peace with each other. Quiet night at the shop with reasonable local customers..but wee bit chilly. I even had a scarf on...yet we sold out on ice..such is life ...sanuk..Tomorrow is MKRO day to stock up..chai