Chiang Mai sure has changed

mania

17 minutes ago, roo860 said:

There's a flower festival on at 700yr stadium.

Actually the time we were there was a few weeks ago already

CM108 also did a piece on the traffic & how crazy it has gotten but it was in Thai

39 minutes ago, mania said:

Actually the time we were there was a few weeks ago already

CM108 also did a piece on the traffic & how crazy it has gotten but it was in Thai

My condo is at the Phucome Intersection,  on the 121, Canal Rd, I get a birds eye view from the 10th floor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

If you mean the girls are prettier and more attractive then I totally agree with you

My GF of 8 years is from Chiang Rai, after several attempts by Chiang Mai women to move to a more permanent footing.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I could include Chiang Mai Erotic Gardens, if it is still going. There's an interesting collection of Thai proverbs in Thai and English at the Doi Saket temple.

Chiang Rai is a jumping off point for so much more, Mae Sai markets, Phu Chi Fa, White Temple, Blue Temple, Black House, Doi Mae Salong, Doi Mae Mon, Chiang Saen Skywalk, the Mekong, Doi Chang and Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan.

I suppose with time Chiang Rai will become as congested as Chiang Mai.

And after savoring the delights of  Chiang Mai it is is a jumping off point for Chiang Rai and all points North.

7 hours ago, mania said:

But now? I mean it is crazy IMHO  going along canal road around 3-4pm trying to get to Nimmanhaemin road took literally

over an house to go 4km

Chiang Mai is not pleasant to live in anymore to be frank. Even moving outside the city is getting worse every year for the reasons you mentioned. I really notice when I came back from Colorado in the summer and I'm instantly stressed/annoyed doing simple things because the traffic is so much and Thai's are such reckless drivers (I'm in the northern outskirts of the city in Mae Jo/Mae Rim). City is solidly polluted 12 months of the year now and only getting worse.

Another bad development, where I am we're get trapped by busy and dangerous expanding highway networks which are required to go anywhere so it's impossible to have even a single non-stress day without doing tons of U-turns and interleaving with heavy traffic going at high speeds. So you have all these features of cities but accessing them is such a pain you often go without.

I've been complaining about this for years and noticing it's getting worse every year (since I came in 2005). Question is what to do about the wives job here and where would be better. ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, connda said:

So I'd expect traffic to get heavier on those artial highways branching out from the center of CM while central Chiang Mai deteriorates

Yes that's happening for sure (I live in Mae Jo). I stopped going in to the city (even by car) unless I absolutely need to because it's such a miserable experience getting trapped in traffic and intersections. I bet many other people are doing the same.

Basically CM is screwed unless they can figure out their infrastructure problem and make proper highways instead of cluster f**ked stroads which serve all purposes but poorly. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, mania said:

We lived in Chiang Mai from 2011 till 2016

Because there was no Chinese or quite a few. CM was a peaceful city. 
When Chinese invasion began some Thai found potential business opportunity and began moving to CM from other cities in Thailand. And still some of those people dangling around even though there is not much to do, but mostly back to their original hometown during covid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Theory said:

Because there was no Chinese or quite a few. CM was a peaceful city. When Chinese invasion began some Thai fouotential business opportunity and began moving to CM from other cities in Thailand.

Is the CM you are speaking of the city of Chiang Mai in Thailand on planet Earth ?

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Chiang Mai is not pleasant to live in anymore to be frank. Even moving outside the city is getting worse every year for the reasons you mentioned. I really notice when I came back from Colorado in the summer and I'm instantly stressed/annoyed doing simple things because the traffic is so much and Thai's are such reckless drivers (I'm in the northern outskirts of the city in Mae Jo/Mae Rim). City is solidly polluted 12 months of the year now and only getting worse.

Another bad development, where I am we're get trapped by busy and dangerous expanding highway networks which are required to go anywhere so it's impossible to have even a single non-stress day without doing tons of U-turns and interleaving with heavy traffic going at high speeds. So you have all these features of cities but accessing them is such a pain you often go without.

I've been complaining about this for years and noticing it's getting worse every year (since I came in 2005). Question is what to do about the wives job here and where would be better. ????

Who've you been complaining to since 2005?

8 hours ago, roo860 said:

Who've you been complaining to since 2005?

Myself and anyone who will listen. ???? 

Well well well, look at this picture my wife sent me this morning. Another person crashes in front of our house, this time smashing into the wall. That's 3 in the last month now. Man we gotta move... 

image.jpeg.9bf0ce07c0726e8f9ead4b8323afe349.jpeg

• Haha 1

CM city, I was never a fan.  First visit, probably 2004 ish, and thought to myself, it's a mini Bangkok, which at the time, I wasn't a fan of either.

Repeat visits to CM didn't help, where visits to Krung Thep, and I started appreciating and quite like the Big Mango.  Never warmed up to CM city.

Outside the city/CM is lovely, half the year, rainy season, and had our best visit to the province during the 'situation' in 2020.  Still avoided the city though, as nothing interests me when busy, couldn't imagine it with most things closed.

Gekko Garden for great food portions and relatively cheap beer. Other side of town, near Chiang Mai gate 1 Way bar plus two next to it also cheap beer, lively, and the girls are pretty. As for Loi Kroh bars the prices are just unreasonable - beware. Only Number one bar gets my occasional draught beer visit. 

I live outside the town in a quiet Moo Bahn, and only visit a few times a month. Now Covid is ignored, the roads are busy , but the 108 to Hang Dong is generally reasonable outside rush hours in and out of town. 

Can't say I dislike it.

Edited by stephenterry
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Joinaman said:

but how often do you go to these ?

once, twice, then you have seen it, so what then ?

When I lived in Lanna, Thailand, I often used to make multiple visits to the locations listed. There are many more tourist spots on the way north to Chiang Rai and east to Phayao. I never tired of this northern part of Thailand as a Tourist Police Volunteer. With respect, may I ask about those ex-pats who routinely stroll from a condo and along the beach to their favourite bar stool? "then you have seen, so what then"!