Chiang Mai sure has changed

mania

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You are quite right about the animal abuse. 

I was disgusted to see how they treat the animals at the shows. 

They were throwing snakes about and slapping them down hard down onto the concrete, squeezing them really hard when they held them.  

The animals cages were tiny, animals piled on top of each other or pacing up and down, obviously stressed.  Most of the animals seem to have be caught from the wild.  

The monkey place the poor things had chains around their necks that were being violently yanked about and ear splitting loud music was plauing as they were looking terrified being forced to do tricks.. 

Dont even get me started on the elephants or tigers. 

when money is involved, anything goes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lacrimas  CM  what about the pollution and the smokey atmosphere from the burning fields, CM not the best City in my opinion but I not put up another candidate except to say that anyone with a chest condition should give CM

a wide birth.  Far better to live by the Sea. Not all resorts are polluted.

• Thanks 1

We only lived in CM for a short time about a year and a bit, I did enjoy my time there and I would like to visit again one day, my only regret is the no more Rugby 10's my only chance to see any type of rugby live and the traffic was so so if you were lucky enough to be able to pick what time you were going somewhere and we only had a Click then so it wasnt that bad.

3 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Lacrimas  CM  what about the pollution and the smokey atmosphere from the burning fields, CM not the best City in my opinion but I not put up another candidate except to say that anyone with a chest condition should give CM

a wide birth.  Far better to live by the Sea. Not all resorts are polluted.

I would have agreed with you about the air pollution.  But actually the air quality is much better for the last few years.. I dont knwo why though..perhaps luck from the wind directions.  Last few years hardly noticed any pollution and only bad for a week or two

Before that it was torture. We were going to leave CM because of it.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I would have agreed with you about the air pollution.  But actually the air quality is much better for the last few years.. I dont knwo why though..perhaps luck from the wind directions.  Last few years hardly noticed any pollution and only bad for a week or two

Before that it was torture. We were going to leave CM because of it.. 

CM and CR are similar in terms of air pollution. I just fire up my air purifiers for a month, shut them down again when the API gets below 50.

I am in CM now the weather has been nice.  I disagree about the general infrastructure the super highways and other roadways are fairly easy to get around.

Crowded/traffic? It is not a small town of course, CM is the 2nd biggest city in Thailand. And, the old city and surrounding areas can never get better unless they take down the historical elements for

infrastructure,  which will never happen.

But, if you think it is bad now just wait it is a favorite of Chinese. They will pack the place next year will be lucky to drive anywhere the old city roadways at some point could be at a stand still.

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I am in CM now the weather has been nice.  I disagree about the general infrastructure the super highways and other roadways are fairly easy to get around.

Crowded/traffic? It is not a small town of course, CM is the 2nd biggest city in Thailand. And, the old city and surrounding areas can never get better unless they take down the historical elements for

infrastructure,  which will never happen.

But, if you think it is bad now just wait it is a favorite of Chinese. They will pack the place next year will be lucky to drive anywhere the old city roadways at some point could be at a stand still.

That's what I used to think.....

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/cities/thailand

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 15.23.03.png

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

usual wrong statistics. That's only Mueang Chiang Mai included but nowadays Sansai, Hang Dong, Saraphi and other areas should be included as well and that brings Chiang Mai to be the second biggest in Thailand.

Ah that makes sense now. I thought Chiang Mai was like 1.2 million & do see it listed that way here

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

usual wrong statistics. That's only Mueang Chiang Mai included but nowadays Sansai, Hang Dong, Saraphi and other areas should be included as well and that brings Chiang Mai to be the second biggest in Thailand.

Plus Samut Prakan & Nonthaburi could (perhaps should) be included in the Bangkok metropolitan area.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2022 at 5:04 PM, mania said:

Came back to visit in 2018/2019 & thought it still nice then Covid hit & we did not visit again till now 2022

I lived there in 2018, and traffic insane, but it always was around the moat, even in 1974.

C M problems are IMO because there is no planning by council, and council doesn't keep place clean, or carry out maintenance. They didn't even do anything for New Year like Pattaya did.

Worst nightlife of a tourist place in LOS.

Public transport is a bad joke with rip off red songtheaws.

I stayed there because didn't want night life and it was cheaper than Pattaya.

On 12/19/2022 at 6:04 PM, bkk6060 said:

the super highways and other roadways are fairly easy to get around.

The superhighways are OK, sure, but get off them and try to drive around - university area is insane.

I hated driving a car in C M and refused in the end unless just going on superhighway to the north.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The superhighways are OK, sure, but get off them and try to drive around - university area is insane.

I hated driving a car in C M and refused in the end unless just going on superhighway to the north.

Are you a university student?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

You have a fair few different-feeling districts to visit within CM for a $4-6 cab ride. 'Can't think of anywhere else in Asia that offers such variety in such a small space. Old City feels very distinct from the Ping River in a way that Pattaya/Jomtien does not.

The next best such variety deal I can think of would be Nonthburi, Bangkok and that would be a long trek to say, lower Suk road; not the 15 minute, $6 option I have to go anywhere I might reasonably want to go to.

I agree that driving here is masochism. But if I'm in a cab even every other day, that costs me about a $100 a month. What would maintaining a car and having a car payment cost me back in The States?

Love Chiang Rai to death, but I rate it as about 20% too small of a town for me. It falls off into teak house-land not too far from the much beloved Clock Tower. Def agree that the hinterlands of CR are much more spectacular than those of CM. Everyone should kill a Saturday night in a town like Fang.

CM badly needs a grafitti cleanup.

Start fining property owners.

Check back in.30 days, if not repainted have the city do it and charge the property owner all expenses, a healthy service fee, plus a large fine.

Grafitti turns any property into a slum.

Edited by JimmyJ

It's the same all over.Khon Kaen,Udon.Ubon. same same, even Nong Khai is much busier than before. Used to be dead quiet after certain time .If I left KK at about 700am I could tarvel to Udon with very little traffic and just hit the start of the rush by the time I got there.Now it seems highway 2 is full on 24/7.

Edited by findlay13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LaosLover said:

You have a fair few different-feeling districts to visit within CM for a $4-6 cab ride. 'Can't think of anywhere else in Asia that offers such variety in such a small space. Old City feels very distinct from the Ping River in a way that Pattaya/Jomtien does not.

The next best such variety deal I can think of would be Nonthburi, Bangkok and that would be a long trek to say, lower Suk road; not the 15 minute, $6 option I have to go anywhere I might reasonably want to go to.

I agree that driving here is masochism. But if I'm in a cab even every other day, that costs me about a $100 a month. What would maintaining a car and having a car payment cost me back in The States?

Love Chiang Rai to death, but I rate it as about 20% too small of a town for me. It falls off into teak house-land not too far from the much beloved Clock Tower. Def agree that the hinterlands of CR are much more spectacular than those of CM. Everyone should kill a Saturday night in a town like Fang.

Why don't you use Baht instead of $ ?

Were your $ figure American, Canadian or Australian ?

Thailand uses Baht as its currency 

Possibly TENS of millions of Chinese finally allowed to explore Earth, especially Thailand, and most importantly ChiangMai because of that movie a number of years back.  

I love the Chinese, they stay together, have many friends, not afraid to talk, not afraid to gather in groups, never alone, and they will spend way more than the backpacker falang bearded tattoo artist who meditates to flowers on 10 baht a day.  lol.    Might as well start another thread, "CM sure has changed, again"

• Haha 1