​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Not a dry eye in the house as Messi and Mbappe star in one of football's most sensational games

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS JOMTIEN

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

I don't mind I was bawling my eyes out in the earlier hours of a Thai morning.

The emotions I felt were raw and strong, surely mirrored by football fans throughout the globe whether directly connected to Argentina or France or not.

We had just witnessed a match that especially for the performances of its two greatest combatants, lived up to all its billing and some.

The subplots had been huge. Would Messi or Mbappe rule the roost? In the end both did in their way but as an ultimately victorious Messi hugged half of Qatar, it was clear this was the Argentinian maestro's  day. 

The GOAT is now confirmed. It's Lionel Messi. But his pretender in the wings is Kylian Mbappe.

Messi's performance was sublime, truly fitting for the Beatutiful Game. Mbappe was the architect that rescued a seemingly beaten France who rose to create a spectacle football fans will remember for ever. 

image.jpeg

This was a game for the ages; the greatest World Cup final since 1986 and comparing the two, better.

Indeed, when the weight of expectations and pressure of a World Cup final is brought into the equation, this game has all the hallmarks of one of the greatest games of all time. Period.

Argentina had been utterly dominant for almost the entire match. Messi stroked home a penalty that I was convinced would be overturned if VAR recommended the ref go to the monitor.

In my view the Argentinian player that went down had already tripped himself up. 

image.jpeg

VAR didn't intervene and Messi with all the calmness in the world fooled Lioris.

The second Argentinian goal was a textbook counter attacking move orchestrated at the outset by Messi of course. 

Di Maria slotted home in grand style for a goal of consumate quality, one of the best ever in a World Cup final.

France were poor, rumors started circulating of the virus that had hit their camp. But it was Les Bleus, led triumphantly by Mbappe who shocked the world by coming back in a couple of sensational minutes after the clock ticked to and past 80 minutes. 

France deservedly won a penalty then in a slick move Mbappe volleyed home past a despairing Martinez.

image.jpeg

The game went to extra time and Messi struck after brilliant play by teammates. 

There was no "had it crossed the line" doubt in this one. The naked eye could see what the ref's watch confirmed.

3-2 Messi had done it!

No.....yet another deserved penalty and Mbappe as cool as you like fires home for the first WC hat-trick since Sir Geoff Hurst in 1966.

It's become a cliche, but you couldn't script this.

Both superstars slotted away their kicks for 1-1 in the shootout. 

Aston Villa keeper Martinez - the Golden Glove winner - was marvellous again as Argentina won 4-2 on penalties.

Forget the "shame it had to be decided on penalties rhetoric" - that only added to the drama that had pundits and fans throughout the world drooling.

image.jpeg

When the dust settled Mbappe was Golden Boot - a trophy he received in a subdued but respectful manner - and Messi was the best player of the tournament.

He kissed the trophy first in what will become an iconic image. Then, dressed in the golden lined robes of Arab tradition, he hoisted the famous trophy aloft.

Truly unforgettable moments that had this columnist forgetting for now the misery of watching England get knocked out when they didn't fully deserve it. 

Wondering what might have been. Feeling surely that Kane and co would not have coped with this Argentina.

And so happy for Messi. A small guy but the true greats often are. Look at the low center of gravity of Maradona. 

It was a fitting end to a World Cup that kept on giving. More goals and stories than any in history. Befitting the social media age it fed netizens in their billions with a sumptuous feast.

Earlier on Saturday Croatia had finished third after defeating gallant Morocco 2-1. 

I enjoyed this World Cup immensely watching more than 50 games live; now to try and get back to a more sensible sleep pattern!

The 2022 FIFA World Cup was unforgettable. Roll on 2026.

Rooster

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-19

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a big sports fan to put it mildly but I did watch this match and it was exciting. I do believe it's a shame that these matches are decided by penalty shootouts rather than a golden point in extended play. The skill and luck of a single person decides the game.

As for no dry eyes, I think that's like all these TV commentators with their faux excitement talking about the game before the the game itself. Fair enough during the game but it irritates me as I feel its manufactured.

The is the only match I watched so my sleep patterns were not disturbed by this. I'm happy that Argentina won this as they were the underdogs and Messi deserved the accolades he will now enjoy. There was a second player who score and is also nearing the end of his career I believe. It's a shame that all the glory went to Messi.

Mbappe will be the man to watch going forward. Early on it looked like a mismatch but France finally did come good. The match could easily have gone their way but for the penalty shootout.

Delighted for Messi. The great man finally gets the only trophy missing from his collection and the one he wanted most.

Also puts to bed two arguments: greatest Argentinian player (sorry Diego) and Messi v Ronaldo (no contest). Not sure about the GOAT though.......maybe he'll have to share that one with Pele. 

• Thanks 1

Agree with almost everything! An incredible game of football, best final ever by far! All penalties were absolutely fair, the ref was outstanding throughout, total authority, almost always spot on and no BS from the players. He deserved his medal as much as the players. Other referees: watch and learn!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not a big sports fan to put it mildly but I did watch this match and it was exciting. I do believe it's a shame that these matches are decided by penalty shootouts rather than a golden point in extended play. The skill and luck of a single person decides the game.

The skill and luck of Mbappe single handedly kept them in the game !!!..

Another player, not as fast, not as skilled would not have scored... perhaps... 

Penalties are an important part of the game, just like corners, just like free kicks - so many people seem to struggle with this. 

As for no dry eyes, I think that's like all these TV commentators with their faux excitement talking about the game before the the game itself. Fair enough during the game but it irritates me as I feel its manufactured.

The is the only match I watched so my sleep patterns were not disturbed by this. I'm happy that Argentina won this as they were the underdogs and Messi deserved the accolades he will now enjoy.

Argentina we’re favourites for this game....  (bookies odds).

At the start the world Cup, Brazil were favourites, Argentina second favourites to win - so I’m not sure where you got the information that they were underdogs. 

There was a second player who score and is also nearing the end of his career I believe. It's a shame that all the glory went to Messi.

Two players had more impact on this world cup than any others... Messi and Mbappe... it was their world cup. 

Mbappe will be the man to watch going forward. Early on it looked like a mismatch but France finally did come good. The match could easily have gone their way but for the penalty shootout.

Agreed....  an amazing come back from the french... Sprit and experience.. incredible. 

• Like 2

It was a excellent match  ! I was ok with the penalties although I was disappointed with the penalty call by the ball hitting on the elbow of a Argentina  player! Imop 

I thought Messi  was the GOAT at times but Maradonna and Pele are equal!

So now one American football player in Tom Brady is the Goat !

And 3 other international football players share their sports Goat!

20 hours ago, RayC said:

Cracking game. The type of match which explains why football is the most popular and best sport.

It is the number one played sport in the world I believe.

It was a great final and befitting that it went to the wire like it did. Two superb teams deserving of being there ????

I loved it ????, we had some friends from around the globe (French, English, German, Ukrainian, Aussies Canadians, Italians, Thais) at home for our Cup Final Party/viewing with a cracking Aussie BBQ dinner before.

We all enjoyed it immensely. We had French and Argentinian jerseys, noisemakers, and fireworks after the win ... it was epic.

I'm an Aussie but I love this game.

If you've never been to a game in Europe you gotta put it on your 'bucket list'!!

• Thumbs Up 1

France was overran by Argentina in the 1st half. If I recalled, France formation was 4-2-1-3 with 3 strikers and a very porous midfield. Not sure whether this formation was due to the players availability hit with illness before the match. Credit to the coach, he recognized the problem and put more bodies in the midfield and came back strongly. Rest was history. Great match. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Actually, the EPL starts up again on the 26th, or 'Boxing Day' as my Brit friends call it. So fear not mate, football is only days away!:thumbsup:

For me, the EPL is the real thing but I got very involved in the World Cup. I have always put club - Spurs - in front of country but I support England passionately in all their games. The defeat last week was upsetting and depressing. But my miserable mood has lifted seeing that final. I'd raced back to Bangkok on my motorbike from Korat where I got my rear end whupped in a Scrabble tournament. Arrived home well in time knackered but looking forward to the match that I watched alone - the family were done in after an energetic day. The match was so uplifting. 

But, yes, the EPL awaits on Monday and it's Spurs up first in the early match away to Brentford. Will Harry get a penalty I wonder....

Thanks for reading,

Rooster

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

It is the number one played sport in the world I believe.

It was a great final and befitting that it went to the wire like it did. Two superb teams deserving of being there ????

I loved it ????, we had some friends from around the globe (French, English, German, Ukrainian, Aussies Canadians, Italians, Thais) at home for our Cup Final Party/viewing with a cracking Aussie BBQ dinner before.

We all enjoyed it immensely. We had French and Argentinian jerseys, noisemakers, and fireworks after the win ... it was epic.

I'm an Aussie but I love this game.

If you've never been to a game in Europe you gotta put it on your 'bucket list'!!

Sounds like you had a blast! I've loved the game since I could walk and managed to see hundreds of games across Europe before setting in Thailand in 1985. I keep meaning to buy an Argentinian jersey for special occasions.

Thanks for reading,

Rooster

10 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

For me, the EPL is the real thing but I got very involved in the World Cup. I have always put club - Spurs - in front of country but I support England passionately in all their games. The defeat last week was upsetting and depressing. But my miserable mood has lifted seeing that final. I'd raced back to Bangkok on my motorbike from Korat where I got my rear end whupped in a Scrabble tournament. Arrived home well in time knackered but looking forward to the match that I watched alone - the family were done in after an energetic day. The match was so uplifting. 

But, yes, the EPL awaits on Monday and it's Spurs up first in the early match away to Brentford. Will Harry get a penalty I wonder....

Thanks for reading,

Rooster

As a City fan things are pretty good these days and I enjoy the EPL every week, and not being anywhere near a fanatical supporter I can enjoy the great football played by other clubs as well. I've really enjoyed watching Arsenal and their young and vastly talented team and Newcastle's resurgence is also quite astounding. Granted, they've gotten tons of money but that doesn't always translate into success on the pitch so huge kudos to the job Eddie Howe is doing.

I've also turned into an FPL (Fantasy premier League) nerd so that adds another layer of enjoyment to it.

4 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Actually, the EPL starts up again on the 26th, or 'Boxing Day' as my Brit friends call it. So fear not mate, football is only days away!:thumbsup:

Started already. Championship has been back for a couple of weeks now????

5 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

OI, I was referring to AFL in Australia.

Have no time for that excuse for sport they call soccer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Freed1948 said:

OI, I was referring to AFL in Australia.

Have no time for that excuse for sport they call soccer.

Then why in the world are you posting in a thread dedicated to the beautiful game of football??

PS. Had to Google AFL and found out that the Americans are not the only country to steal the name football and turn it into yet another "sport" that has nothing to do with a foot nor a ball.???? 

22 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Then why in the world are you posting in a thread dedicated to the beautiful game of football??

PS. Had to Google AFL and found out that the Americans are not the only country to steal the name football and turn it into yet another "sport" that has nothing to do with a foot nor a ball.???? 

Some folks need to get out more. I just wished that some folks would realise that there is

no need to go through life being bored.

I think google needs to get a life too.

40 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Some folks need to get out more. I just wished that some folks would realise that there is

no need to go through life being bored.

I think google needs to get a life too.

I think that is one of the most pointless replies I have ever received. Again; if football is of no interest to you then why are you posting in a thread dedicated to the beautiful game??

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I think that is one of the most pointless replies I have ever received. Again; if football is of no interest to you then why are you posting in a thread dedicated to the beautiful game??

The beautiful game is Australian Rules Football.

• Haha 1