Retired now

NORDO

1 hour ago, proton said:

Any suggestions where to get a reliable health check you need over 65 for Pacific Cross? I was going to get insurance with them 4 years ago but the health check threw up so many problems that would be considered pre existing conditions that I did not bother. Going home and having the same tests a little later showed up nothing concerning at all

For a full Health Check-up,  any private hospitals can do this,  you pay for the tests and for Doctors consulation,  prices vary depending on the Hospital.  If you just want basic blood tests,  I often go to a clinic,  I pay about 250 baht,  anything not abnormal on the report,  I then book appointment to see a doctor.  

Any pre-existing conditions,  yes,  will need to declare them with Pacific Cross,  cover will not include pre-existing conditions, so that is something to think about.

I have 4 comments to make:

1.  Spend money on healthy foods and stop eating the bad stuff, if you do.

2.  You may have a lot of money (and income) now, but the unexpected will happen, so I would suggest that you are careful with your money. 

3.  You will get so much joy from helping animal rescue centres (cats and/or dogs). You might like to consider that. They always need donations.

4.  Try to enjoy every day you are still alive. Show as much loving-kindness, compassion, and heartwarming care as you can each day, and you'll never be bored.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Me and my friend in CM will be saying hello to 80 early next year. Another friend in CM works out at a gym, he is 90.

You haven't seen an 80 year old guy in Thailand because you haven't looked.

I'm 80 in 2 years time, no real health issues at all but nobody knows, at any age, what's ahead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

What's the point of working until 69? You'll be dead in 10 years. Seriously I think all the backpackers have it right. Spend time enjoying and travelling while you are young. You don't need much money when you are young.

240k baht a month and now worried sick. Have you ever seen an 80 year old guy in Thailand? Neither have I.

I walked out of the grammar school gates and went straight into early retirement. I don't think I missed much.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you worked in Thailand recently (less than 6 months ago), you paid social security with comes with healthcare in a government hospital. You can choose to pay just under 500 THB a month to keep this insurance.

True.

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

What happens with health Insurance if you become a long term inpatient - presumably it has to be renewed every year and they could up the premium or flat refuse cover?

Well, they can do that if you took out a cheap-charlie insurance policy, (or even a not-so-cheap Thai policy).  If you take out 'expat' medical insurance with an insurance company in the EU or UK, then by law, once you are signed up, they cannot refuse you new cover if you make a claim, and they cannot increase your premium because you made a claim.  They can only increase your premium as you enter the next age band, and your premium will be the same as everyone else in that age band.

I was recently diagnosed (at 63) with prostate cancer, and my insurance company (April International (France), will pay for all diagnostic costs and surgery.  Stats tell me that a cancer may return in 10-15 years from now, so it makes absolute sense for me to stay with this insurance company so that any further cancer treatment will be covered. I have an idea of how the premiums will increase for each age band, and I can still afford this cover when I'm in my 80's...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

What's the point of working until 69? You'll be dead in 10 years. Seriously I think all the backpackers have it right. Spend time enjoying and travelling while you are young. You don't need much money when you are young.

240k baht a month and now worried sick. Have you ever seen an 80 year old guy in Thailand? Neither have I.

Actually, if you live to 69 you're likely to live 15 more years, not 10.  And, if you take care of yourself, it could be more than 15; my Dad lived to 95.   As for no 80-year olds, there's a whole thread running here, If You're Near 80 or Older, which has been popular, with 10 pages of responses.

As for the OP, Thailand checks all the important boxes for me.  As others have said, I think he can find health insurance.  He might try Pacific Cross or April International.  He can reduce his premium somewhat by having a high deductible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

There are people who do interesting work and like to do it. It keeps the brain working good. My neighbor is 96. I am 63, will work till 67 and have travelled all over the world with a lot of money in my pocket. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Find a pretty Thai girls who helps you to enjoy life. Enjoy!

And in case you don't enjoy it anymore find another one.

Repeat.

Very true, Thai girls will help you spend that 6K Euros every month no problem 5555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I was recently diagnosed (at 63) with prostate cancer, and my insurance company (April International (France), will pay for all diagnostic costs and surgery.  Stats tell me that a cancer may return in 10-15 years from now, so it makes absolute sense for me to stay with this insurance company so that any further cancer treatment will be covered. I have an idea of how the premiums will increase for each age band, and I can still afford this cover when I'm in my 80's...

That's very optimistic of you!

21 hours ago, NORDO said:

Been living /working SE Asia for 11 eleven years and dreaming about this day.  Scared Sh_tless on what to do next.

I would be scared <deleted>less of a bike ride BKK to SIN.

My unsolicited advice: Make sure you have good rear-view mirrors.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, NORDO said:

Scared Sh_tless on what to do next.

Perhaps you have become institutionalised by the world of work !

I would be looking at this next phase with great excitement.

I am sure you will have no problems to find many fulfilling and interesting ways to spend your time, with (finally) the freedom to do exactly what you want with your own time !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

I just paid 180,000 Bt for two operations and a total of 16 days in a Govt hospital. About Bt60,000 in outpatients between. My original intention was to buy disaster insurance with 1st Bt300k or so payable by me - in the end I paid cash without insurance. Viable as that looks, the risk you have to look at is long stay - costs mount up and the risk is non renewal/increases by Insurance company. The big question is will your disaster insurance cover you for a disaster like needing to stay in hospital indefinitely?

A private hospital like Bumrungrad will cost you Bt8000/day min for just the bed vs 900/1800 min for govt hospital.

what was the hospital and where?

8 hours ago, itsari said:

Congratulations on your retirement . 

I think you could be considered rich in Thailand with a income of two and a half million baht per year when many Thais  consider them selves well off with one hundred and fifty thousand baht per year .

6000 euro a month very rich man ..enjoy life mate at our age spend some of it can't take it with you .. consider yourself well off 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, and if you do it right you will have a lot of fun in that process. Let's party!

Featured-photo-nightlife-in-Phuket.jpg

Fore some reason I'm suddenly remembering a poem by Gwendolyn Brooks.

We Real Cool
       By Gwendolyn Brooks

The Pool Players.
        Seven at the Golden Shovel.

We real cool. We  
            Left school. We

Lurk late. We
            Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We  
            Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We  
            Die soon.