Retired now

NORDO

Just now, KannikaP said:

Where are you Nordo, it's only 20th where I am in Thailand. It's my Mrs's birthday.

sorry, just pre-posting...the local lassies gave me a B-day party this afternoon a day early cause I start my BKK to SIN bike ride tomorrow and Ill be gone.  Just tiding  up all the little details

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bondjames007 said:

Congratulations on your retirement.

Regarding Health Insurance,  I am with Pacific Cross,  can renew up-to 99 years old. 

You can check the prices for your age,  might be expensive,  or like others have said,  self insure.

https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/

Any suggestions where to get a reliable health check you need over 65 for Pacific Cross? I was going to get insurance with them 4 years ago but the health check threw up so many problems that would be considered pre existing conditions that I did not bother. Going home and having the same tests a little later showed up nothing concerning at all

• Like 1

Aside from cost of health insurance coverage there is the disallowance of pre-existing conditions.

My experience with Thai insurance is that the slightest pre-existing medical abnormality (regardless of any actual medical issue) will disqualify you from being covered in the event of a medical condition. 

Have a history of abnormal EKGs but no medications required, disqualified for heart disease. Break a bone in the foot, the whole leg is disqualified from future coverage. 

Also I found Thai insurance rates will increase substantially with age, especially beyond 70. Furthermore, my experience is that the more claims you make, the higher your premiums will be. With my former Thai health insurance, I was assured that if being older than 70, if I make no claims, there will be no annual insurance premium increases. But then, what's the point of having it? (I purchased it solely for extended visa requirements - changed visa and use pre-existing foreign insurance)

Bottom line, you need to clearly understand what you get / don't get past, present and future for both out patient and inpatient treatment, as well as international use. Ask questions.

Aside from insurance, you also need to consider the quality of medical diagnosis, available specialties & equipment, available treatment from hospital providers, language compatibility, timely access to medical care, etc. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peter pop said:

I will be 81 soon.  Life is healthy and good.  I have been self insuring here for the last 15 years. I have thought about returning to the UK but so far the arguments stack up for staying here.  Fixed pension and inflation are the main worries.

How much money in total have you put so far towards self insurance?

I am trying to figure out my finances and if it's better to quit insurance now. So far I have not been impressed by Thai insurance at all.

21 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Come on guys I am just joking, I am pushing 50 myself.

Anyhoo I did ask yall how much do you think it is enough to self insure.

I just paid 180,000 Bt for two operations and a total of 16 days in a Govt hospital. About Bt60,000 in outpatients between. My original intention was to buy disaster insurance with 1st Bt300k or so payable by me - in the end I paid cash without insurance. Viable as that looks, the risk you have to look at is long stay - costs mount up and the risk is non renewal/increases by Insurance company. The big question is will your disaster insurance cover you for a disaster like needing to stay in hospital indefinitely?

A private hospital like Bumrungrad will cost you Bt8000/day min for just the bed vs 900/1800 min for govt hospital.

Edited by mokwit

If you can get it, maybe repatriation insurance in case of illness is a solution. Illness can strike suddenly and make you unfit to fly, so if your home country makes medical treatment available to you, this is the one to go for.

Congratulations on your retirement. 

That pension sounds like a lot, but I guess it depends whether you are single, have kids, what sort of lifestyle you are used to and what other assets and savings you've accrued while working.  I don't need to tell you that 200K+ THB per month should be more than enough to live in Bangkok and have a very good standard of living. 

As for being bored, I barely have enough time in the day to keep up with all the things I am interested in.

"Pensions add up to about 6k Euros monthly, so Im not poor, but not rich either. "

To the overwhelming majority of the 8 billion people in the world you are indeed very rich.  First stop on your personal journey in siphoning off of others in retirement is to open your eyes.

Edited by Lee65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Come on guys I am just joking, I am pushing 50 myself.

Anyhoo I did ask yall how much do you think it is enough to self insure.

The answers will vary. I keep 500,000 baht in an account for medical emergencies. I figure at 10,000 baht/day ( less in government hospitals ) if I haven't made it out of there in 50 days, I am not coming out anyway. Others will quote 1-2 million baht.

I also maintain private health insurance in Australia, so if I had a really expensive operation, I could get it done there for the cost of the flights.

I have routine cystoscopies done here at 18,000 baht, because that's cheaper than flying back to Australia.