Retired now

NORDO

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you worked in Thailand recently (less than 6 months ago), you paid social security with comes with healthcare in a government hospital. You can choose to pay just under 500 THB a month to keep this insurance.

No, I think you have to be enrolled a few years before the age of 60.

8 hours ago, Celsius said:

What's the point of working until 69? You'll be dead in 10 years. Seriously I think all the backpackers have it right. Spend time enjoying and travelling while you are young. You don't need much money when you are young.

240k baht a month and now worried sick. Have you ever seen an 80 year old guy in Thailand? Neither have I.

Regarding Celsius comment, I'm 85 and have been here for 20 years. After 2 years of travelling, got bored and taught English for 15 years. Retired at 84.  Still drive; still travel. My income is over 200K/month, own single family home, and 2 cars, so no need to work. Happily married. So, not going to leave.  Good luck. ????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Celsius said:

What's the point of working until 69? You'll be dead in 10 years. Seriously I think all the backpackers have it right. Spend time enjoying and travelling while you are young. You don't need much money when you are young.

240k baht a month and now worried sick. Have you ever seen an 80 year old guy in Thailand? Neither have I.

Come to Roi Et, loads of them, all nationalities!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Death usually occurs in the ambulance ride from your home to the hospital.

Thai ambulances and their paramedics aren't all that good or fast.

Which is why most people in Thailand die before age 70.

Then when you get to the Thai hospital the doctors aren't all that good.

I've encountered 3 serious misdiagnoses in the past 10 years.

Gall bladder needs removal (it didn't)

Appendix needs removal (it didn't)

You have BPH and will need prostate surgery (I didn't)

I agree many Thai doctors would be struck off the register in Western countries; however, there are some competent ones in the hospitals. My urologist is one of them.

One failing that seems to be almost universal here, only one doctor has ever asked for my previous medical history.

The average life expectancy of Thais is 77 years as of 2020.

IMO the ones dying before 70 can thank their diet of Lao Khao and sticky rice.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:

Regarding Celsius comment, I'm 85 and have been here for 20 years. After 2 years of travelling, got bored and taught English for 15 years. Retired at 84.  Still drive; still travel. My income is over 200K/month, own single family home, and 2 cars, so no need to work. Happily married. So, not going to leave.  Good luck. ????

You're what's known statistically as an outlier.

Most guys are dead by 70 in Thailand.

• Like 1

At 69 with a healthy monthly income I'd get about enjoying yourself rather than overly focussing on any worrisome issues.  As the great Bob Marley sang - " Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright ". In fact 3 little birds will probably pitch up at your doorstep regularly if they hear you've got 6k a month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You're what's known statistically as an outlier.

Most guys are dead by 70 in Thailand.

I think all of my farang friends from my time in Phuket have died already - some old and some not so old.  I hope for another 37 years! ???? (to reach 100...)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/21/2022 at 12:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Find a pretty Thai girls who helps you to enjoy life. Enjoy!

And in case you don't enjoy it anymore find another one.

Repeat.

I found a young lassie 20 years my jr.   lived together 3 years in Lat Phrao area.   Great life.   Decide to get married.  First thing she said afterwards was “ now ur money my money”.  She flew back to BKK next day on her own.  However quickie annulments are easily obtained when u can prove  abandonment and fraudulent intentions .  She would have been okay if would have just keep her mouth shut and stuck it out a month or so.  The annulment took about 62 days to process and be stamped.   Cost me about 4000 Euro.

Now I’m only interested in Rental units. 

On 12/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, jerrymahoney said:

I would be scared <deleted>less of a bike ride BKK to SIN.

My unsolicited advice: Make sure you have good rear-view mirrors.

Made it to Trang so far, no issues yet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NORDO said:

I found a young lassie 20 years my jr.   lived together 3 years in Lat Phrao area.   Great life.   Decide to get married.

Why did you decide to marry her?

As far as I can see marrying has almost only disadvantages for men.

If she loves you, and/or likes to live with you, then she will stay also without that paper.

• Like 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

If she loves you, and/or likes to live with you, then she will stay also without that paper.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As stupidly fubbard and messed up as this sounds, I got tired of listen to her bitch about disgracing her family and me not pay sinsod.  So got married.

actually in the end it was probably the best way to find out her game plan and get rid of her.  Granted, it wasn’t my smartest decision.    But was a good lesson on trusting a Thai girl. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NORDO said:

As stupidly fubbard and messed up as this sounds, I got tired of listen to her bitch about disgracing her family and me not pay sinsod.  So got married.

actually in the end it was probably the best way to find out her game plan and get rid of her.  Granted, it wasn’t my smartest decision.    But was a good lesson on trusting a Thai girl. 

My gf gave up asking me about marriage after about 10 years or so. Luckily, she mentioned it only a few times a year and we never had an argument about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My gf gave up asking me about marriage after about 10 years or so. Luckily, she mentioned it only a few times a year and we never had an argument about it.

There was a USA comedian Robin Williams, said man has two brains but only enough blood to operate one at a time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NORDO said:
On 12/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, jerrymahoney said:

I would be scared <deleted>less of a bike ride BKK to SIN.

My unsolicited advice: Make sure you have good rear-view mirrors.

Made it to Trang so far, no issues yet. 

And hopefully you will continue to have no issues.

But this couple did:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/feb/18/british-cyclists-killed-thailand

On 12/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, Lacessit said:

I agree many Thai doctors would be struck off the register in Western countries; however, there are some competent ones in the hospitals. My urologist is one of them.

One failing that seems to be almost universal here, only one doctor has ever asked for my previous medical history.

The average life expectancy of Thais is 77 years as of 2020.

IMO the ones dying before 70 can thank their diet of Lao Khao and sticky rice.

Yup. In our village, about half die of the "Lao Khao" disease. No way can you te;; rice farmers not to eat rice.

Doctors: none of them ask about your dietary habits or alcohol consumption either.

Sorry. But this topic is not logical. 

The author of this topic should return to his home country to get free medical care. 

What might happen if he soon begins to suffer the effects of dementia. 

Would he even be able to remember how to cash all of his pension checks? 

Anybody who has a monthly income of 6k should hire an estate planner. 

What's the big deal, anyway? 

It's not as if you expect to live another 50 years. 

My best advice is to go back to work. 

Employment will lessen the anxiety. 

Or, just move to New Hampshire and chill. 

Move to Saipan, maybe. You could live cheaply, do volunteer work, and spend most of your pension on health insurance. 

On Saipan, health care is not up to the standards of Houston, Texas. In Saipan, it's probably either aspirin or hospice care. 

You think too much. 

My advice for you is to buy a pet, either a cat, a dog, or both. 

Once you begin caring for your pet friends, you will worry less about irrational fears. 

At your advanced age, USD8,000.00 per month is plenty. 

If I were you, in all honesty, I would get a long-term super-cheap condo rental on a golf course, some gated community with nice neighbors and no roosters. 

And then, I would hire someone to teach me how to paint in oil or watercolor. 

Or move to the East Village and frequent the shops there, gorging on locks and bagels, cream cheese and pizza, and lox. 

The reason this topic makes no sense is that you have too much money and too much time on your hands after retiring prematurely. 

Why not go to Columbia, move into the student housing, and begin working towards your PhD? 

I happen to know that there are chicks on campus, mostly Social Sciences co-eds who love to get it on with men approaching 70.

Above all, don't worry too much about what might never happen. 

Don't fret too much. 

Don't think too much. 

It's not you who should be worried. 

Save your worry for your grandchildren. 

It is they who face a far stickier wicket up ahead, than ever you met a tough row to hoe. 

Mark my words, the best laid plans of mice and men should be your watchword, IMHO.