Live Updates: House Committee Approves Release of Trump’s Taxes

Scott

The House Ways and Means Committee voted to release six years of Mr. Trump’s tax returns, ending a nearly four-year process to make his financial information public.

The Supreme Court paved the way for Tuesday’s vote by declining former President Trump’s request to block lawmakers from obtaining his tax information.

The House Ways and Means Committee voted Tuesday to publicly release the tax returns of former President Donald J. Trump, the culmination of a yearslong battle during which he defied modern tradition by keeping his finances confidential during his campaign and while in office.

Here’s what to know:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For those who can't access the NY Times, here's another link:

Democratic-led House Ways and Means Committee votes to release materials on Trump’s taxes to the public

— 

The Democratic-led House Ways and Means Committee voted Tuesday to make public former President Donald Trump’s tax returns once they are redacted for personal information.

The panel approved a motion on a party-line vote to release the materials to the House, clearing the way for Trump’s tax returns to be released publicly. It is unclear when the public will see these materials.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/20/politics/house-trump-tax-returns/index.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Oh boy I sense the mother of all temper tantrums coming on guess we all get to find out old Donnie isent as rich as he says perhaps we can ferret out who has him by the short hairs 

Or who bought real estate from him at inflated prices with laundered money from a black hole.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Republicans lining up to protect the rich from public scrutiny. And maybe generate some outrage and talking points along the way to deflect from the main game here which was just to release Trump's taxes.

However, the implications of such a move could be significant. By publicly releasing Trump's tax returns, experts and Republican members of the committee said the House Ways and Means Committee demonstrated that anyone's tax returns could be subject to similar treatment, all but ending individual taxpayers' right to privacy.

"My prurient interest says I should be gobbling this information up," Allan Morrison, an associate dean at George Washington University Law School, told Newsweek. "My sense of concern about taxpayers as a whole makes me very uneasy about this."

https://www.newsweek.com/dems-vote-release-trumps-tax-returns-it-may-come-back-bite-them-1768577

Edited by ozimoron

More deflection from a Trump aide under pressure to say something. Anything.

On Tuesday, following the vote of the House Ways and Means Committee to release former President Donald Trump's tax returns to the public, a spokesman for the former president lashed out when asked for comment by The Daily Beast, and demanded tax returns be released for outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and her family as well.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-taxes-response/

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I read somewhere but now can't find the link that he didn't cooperate with the mandatory IRS audit.

I am not sure how you can 'not' cooperate with an audit.  I had my taxes audited one year, and they simply said 'you owe $X'.  If I disagreed, then I could meet with them and bring any evidence of a challenge to their accounting.   It was not an amount that was worth arguing over, and it was simply paid.  It was for some tax deductions that they deemed not correct.  

They certainly didn't send me a letter asking me if it was OK for them to audit me!!

1 minute ago, Credo said:

I am not sure how you can 'not' cooperate with an audit.  I had my taxes audited one year, and they simply said 'you owe $X'.  If I disagreed, then I could meet with them and bring any evidence of a challenge to their accounting.   It was not an amount that was worth arguing over, and it was simply paid.  It was for some tax deductions that they deemed not correct.  

They certainly didn't send me a letter asking me if it was OK for them to audit me!!

Supply of underlying business records to underpin the tax return itself.

12 hours ago, Credo said:

So, the race is on.  Which will be the most interesting and crime filled, Trump's taxes or Hunter's laptop?

Why don't you compare Hunter's laptop with Eric Trump or someone else from his family?

Trump was the US president, the most powerful person in this world. Hunter Bidon is the son of a president with no political power at all.

If Hunter is guilty of any crime, then he should obviously be punished. But that has nothing to do with his father or Trump.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Credo said:

Perhaps a large brown envelope to the right place but more likely a threat of some sort ‘cause trump is cheap