Vat registration- is it worth it?

Elkski

Bought some stuff at Robinson.  Under 300 USD and was asked of we wanted to register for vat refund.  Guy said we needed to go wait in 3rd floor service desk line.   I was worried about giving Robinson my passport and any details for a measly 400 baht refund.   I really see this as just an info gathering for money skeme do I told the wife to forget it.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elkski said:

What all type of things can you include in a list?   And was it true we had to get some form and show passport at Robinsons or can we just show the receipts upon leaving at the airport?

Show your receipts etc at the airport desk. Make sure you allow enough time to do so in your travel plan.

Read information here.....

https://www.thaizer.com/shopping-in-thailand-how-to-claim-back-vat-tax-refund/#:~:text=VAT can only be claimed,check in for your flight.

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

What all type of things can you include in a list?   And was it true we had to get some form and show passport at Robinsons or can we just show the receipts upon leaving at the airport?

Yes, the shop has to complete a form with your details, so they need your passport. Just showing the receipts at the airport is not enough.

You also have to show the goods for which you claim a tax refund at the airport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its pretty bl@ody obvious as to whether its worth it or not ... depends on how much you spend in-country e.g. go buy thousands of dollars worth of clothes, shoes, jewellery etc and walk past the VAT at the airport and be a right dill for doing so. Buy a lousy 30 bucks worth of stuff then think claiming the VAT percentage back is a valid idea ... WTHeck!!!!