black list Thailand for electronic cigarette.

gmy56

You will have no problems returning to Thailand. Firstly, no one has made threats to you or attempted to exhort you for money. Secondly, someone would have to be angry with you and make a complaint to police. This does not seem to be the case.

Thirdly, the police would dismiss any complaints as trivial and not worth their time or expense to pursue. Fourthly, the police would have to catch you in the act of vaping, or with the gear in your possession, before they could consider action against you. Fithly, even if caught, the worst you could expect is a fine of several thousand Baht. Certainly not deportation or black-listing.

Vaping is not going to get you kicked out of Thailand. Just be discreet when in public. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gmy56 said:

with all these diverging opinions on low quality forums I prefer to ask you here, where, people know what they are talking about.

Have you posted on the intended forum, this is Thaivisa, you know!

Having said that, you have nothing to worry about if you weren't bothered by the authorities while you were here.  Just because the woman in the airport bar said it was ok with her for you to vape, doesn't mean that it is legal, though, it isn't.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

By denouncing you, the lady who sold you the vaping materials would also be denouncing herself and facing a higher penalty than mere possession. If it was a sting you would have been arrested on the spot. Since nothing happened, you have no reason to worry.

My 16 year old was caught vaping in his school. He was thrown out for a week, and I grounded him for a week no phone, friends etc. The teacher came to our house and informed us that the other boy was thrown out permanently. He was selling the stuff at the school. Teacher informed us if our son was caught with the bad kid he could be fined 100,000 baht…..at this point we told the teacher we wouldn’t be paying that and he could go to jail. He’s been warned before….so Tough Love baby.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

You will have no problems returning to Thailand. Firstly, no one has made threats to you or attempted to exhort you for money. Secondly, someone would have to be angry with you and make a complaint to police. This does not seem to be the case.

Thirdly, the police would dismiss any complaints as trivial and not worth their time or expense to pursue. Fourthly, the police would have to catch you in the act of vaping, or with the gear in your possession, before they could consider action against you. Fithly, even if caught, the worst you could expect is a fine of several thousand Baht. Certainly not deportation or black-listing.

Vaping is not going to get you kicked out of Thailand. Just be discreet when in public. 

what a pleasure this kind of helpful answers!  I sincerely thank you!  and yes I agree, I should never have vaped in front of the 2 super nice police officers, but they didn't say anything to me at the time, they were also vaping, but I also tell myself that they can denounce me from behind...  .  I wish you a good day, and thank you very much for your detailed answer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Camelot said:

By denouncing you, the lady who sold you the vaping materials would also be denouncing herself and facing a higher penalty than mere possession. If it was a sting you would have been arrested on the spot. Since nothing happened, you have no reason to worry.

thank you for your message !  it's fun!  yes that's what I tell myself too, but since there is a What app exchange between us I ask myself a lot of questions, afterwards, she already asked me if I was coming back, and that she would  a price

12 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

You are in the right site..????

yes generally people are helping, necessarily, not everyone, but on the whole the people present here take the time to reassure me, and that makes me very happy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you posted on the intended forum, this is Thaivisa, you know!

Having said that, you have nothing to worry about if you weren't bothered by the authorities while you were here.  Just because the woman in the airport bar said it was ok with her for you to vape, doesn't mean that it is legal, though, it isn't.

Thank you for your answer !  yes, but even I was able to pass the security gates with my vaper without any worries, out of respect I asked the waitress who told me yes there is no problem.  if that would have been a problem, they would have come to ask me questions before my return flight, right?

14 hours ago, gmy56 said:

how small...  I thought that the French people were closed-minded but obviously it's pretty much the same everywhere.  I'm asking for advice, not answers that have neither head nor tail.  but at least you took the time to answer, so thank you all the same.  good evening

Here's your answer. Vaping is illegal. Nearly everything is illegal in Thailand, such as selling a nice cold beer between 2 and 5 on a hot tropical afternoon. But, fortunately, laws are rarely enforced. I have watched many YouTube videos of Thai nightlife areas where the majority of women are vaping - men not so, strangely. If, IF, a uniform wants to be difficult then they have the law to back them up, but that is rarely the case. Relax - and next time find a place for a vacation where you don't have to worry about such nonsense.

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Here's your answer. Vaping is illegal. Nearly everything is illegal in Thailand, such as selling a nice cold beer between 2 and 5 on a hot tropical afternoon. But, fortunately, laws are rarely enforced. I have watched many YouTube videos of Thai nightlife areas where the majority of women are vaping - men not so, strangely. If, IF, a uniform wants to be difficult then they have the law to back them up, but that is rarely the case. Relax - and next time find a place for a vacation where you don't have to worry about such nonsense.

Thank you for your clear and precise answer, it's very kind of you!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, accel said:

have been caught with one in a traffic stop, they just told me "cannot have" and handed it back, no problemo amigo

okay thank you, so I who was not arrested, neither at the airport nor in town, I do not risk prosecution outside the country?  thank you for taking the time to respond

5 hours ago, neverere said:

No need to be concerned gmy56, forget about it. Next time be less public about your 'illegal' activities, it may save you from being shaken down.

yes thank you, but I am a rather naive person.  if a lady at the airport tells me it's allowed, I listen to her.  if I see 2 policemen vaping I don't hesitate either... thank you for your answer

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, gmy56 said:

Thank you for your answer !  yes, but even I was able to pass the security gates with my vaper without any worries, out of respect I asked the waitress who told me yes there is no problem.  if that would have been a problem, they would have come to ask me questions before my return flight, right?

Only if they knew that it was there!

if you have one on your person at the airport you can get in trouble, some airports cops are really out to get you, I've flown to Chiang Mai many time no problem, but at Hat Yai, once they saw it in the X-Ray they were on to me, but I had managed to bin it before I leave through the gates. If you're not street smart enough to recognize what kind of <deleted> you're in, don't take them near a police or where you'll be searched. 

I think I got caught out since Hat Yai is close to the Malaysian border and a known source where to get anything from duty free booze and cigarette to vapes, they were kinda on the look out for it

On 12/23/2022 at 2:24 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was watching Thai news today on television and there was a report of a tourist vaping in Phuket , it was a French tourist and he was  caught vaping on CCTV and now there is a man hunt searching  for him with shoot on sight orders from the Army .

They are searching for him, but they don't seem to be able to find him anywhere and they fear he may have escaped and absconded back to France and they have began the extradition procedure to bring him back to face justice 

Oh La La is it moi...

20 minutes ago, gmy56 said:

I didn't understand ?

Mock Franglais suggesting that maybe the person spotted vaping was himself.

As others have said, no worries for returning, the police wouldn't be remotely interested.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned that you look the right way when crossing the road (and remember that motorcycles can come from unexpected directions).

For general reference to all those who may decide to do a border run, or visit Cambodia, e-cigarettes and vaping is illegal in the country. From today's Khmer media (2nd January 2023):-

......... in cooperation with the National Authority for Combating Drugs on Saturday burned 288 boxes of UOLO e-cigarettes, equivalent to 7,200 packs, at a landfill in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/category/national/

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:52 AM, Crossy said:

Mock Franglais suggesting that maybe the person spotted vaping was himself.

As others have said, no worries for returning, the police wouldn't be remotely interested.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned that you look the right way when crossing the road (and remember that motorcycles can come from unexpected directions).

thank you very much for your feedback.  It reassures me.  I also think that if they had wanted to arrest me, they would have done so when I vaped in front of them (the police, who themselves vape).  Regarding the airport, I also tell myself that stopping a tourist vaping in the international zone, without spitting dragon clouds either, would be unwise, and given the number of cameras they would have caught me directly

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 4:30 AM, The Theory said:

There is no definite answer for your question. It's depends on different factors. If vaping in public is against the law, you should expect to be in trouble anytime, anywhere. 
One more thing, never listen to people who say "no problem" ????????

no, I'm not waiting for a definitive answer, I'm just asking if I didn't have a problem at the time, I won't have any when I return?  anyway thank you for your answer