Australian Man Arrested at Samui Airport with 96 Bullets and Disassembled Firearm

webfact

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

I believe he did get it here.............quote.........

'He told police that he bought the items from a Thai man near a grocery store in the Bo Phut sub-district on Samui Island'

I'm heading to that grocery store right now ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Onerak said:

OMG Australian. I understand an American advancing self defense. 

There is a culture of firearms ownership and gun culture that is building in Australia.  Presently it is not big but could grow.  Lot’s of open territory in OZ just like the plains of west Texas.  The NRA has been in out of Australia for years.   Recently there was shooting in rural Australia where two police officers were shot and killed.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

An Australian man was arrested at the Samui International Airport with 96 bullets and an object similar to a gun that appeared to be a dissembled firearm. He claimed he needed them for self-defense.

Pillock

• Like 1

I'm Australian does not mean gang member possibilty or other contract to do hec that's long shot hire local  ! I had guns ! However not dumb enough take on plane with me and not for self defence he's not in lraq or Afghanistan +++ 

Some pics from Thai website cops-magazine. Looks like a disassembled Glock 26 or similar or maybe a copy. Pretty obvious his collection would be picked up by X-rays. If he had some reason for wanting to acquire this little lot and transport it to Bkk, the question comes to mind why not travel by surface?

The Thai police press release refers to “gun equivalent” because that is wording taken from the 1947 Firearms Act that equates gun parts, such as barrels, slides and frames, as gun equivalents with the same penalties for illegal possession as a completely built up gun. This may indicate that police intended to charge him with multiple counts of firearms possession - one for each disassembled part with 10 years max for each gun equivalent. He may have done better to have packed it completely assembled. 

The cartridges in the batches on the right look like 9mm that would fit the gun but the batches in the left are longer and look like .38 special for a revolver. (One of the revolver rounds oddly is a different style from the rest - black coated round nosed bullet in steel case, while the other revolver rounds are flat topped copper FMJ  in regular brass cases.) He said he needed the gun and ammo for self protection but didn’t explain why he thought he needed the revolver cartridges. I wonder if he planned to pick up a revolver later. Seems to imply intent to commit a further crime - perhaps selling arms and ammunition.  Perhaps the seller happened to have the .38 rounds he wanted to get off and the Ozzie bought them without looking in the bag. No doubt the investigators will be very curious about the mismatch of ammo.

No doubt the seller will turn out to be that mysterious Lek who returned to an unknown province immediately after the deal.

1B64B08D-0947-43F9-89B0-EF9992E6440A.jpeg

18B6C39E-B350-46C7-8FE7-F533AF9D0E87.jpeg

C710EE62-55A4-4AF9-89FB-285794E915A6.jpeg

4E269F5E-4115-4E62-A930-C7E65BEFE367.jpeg

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Vis a vis the Israeli caught with two full magazines of 5.56 ammo, he has the advantage that he was not caught with guns and ammo classified as war weapons in Thai law. On the other hand the Israeli could argue he had brought the mags with him by mistake and that he had lawful possession of them in Israel, whereas this guy admitted he had purchased them and intentionally tried to bring them on a  flight. The Israeli got 18 months. I guess this guy will more than double that.

32 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

I'm Australian does not mean gang member possibilty or other contract to do hec that's long shot hire local  ! I had guns ! However not dumb enough take on plane with me and not for self defence he's not in lraq or Afghanistan +++ 

Owning a gun doesn't make you a gang member. Bringing it to Thailand probably does.

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

So Sitting Shrimp (GoongNang) translated the story from the information given, whilst travelling between Nakhon Si Thammrat, Phuket and Krabi? No mention of whether the 96 bullets and firearm were in checked or hand carry baggage (not that it makes too much difference). Destination not stated but almost certainly Bangkok. So he needed the items for "self defence when travelling abroad". Does that mean he lives in Thailand and was heading overseas? Should be, as he bought from a Thai in Samui. Where was he heading? Arrested but no mention of further detention or court appearance. It would be so nice if the "reporters" would file a more detailed story. 

You don't have to restrict your reading to Thaivisa, try reading the Bangkok Post for more information!