KBANK refused to let me withdraw from bank account

On 12/23/2022 at 7:33 PM, Neeranam said:

I'd hazard a guess that the teller was Thai Chinese. 

In my experience, they don't like us naturalized citizens.

This case sounds like pure racism to me. 

I had an issue at KTB, where they didn't believe my Thai ID was real, not helped by a Chinese Thai sitting next to me shouting out that she used to work at the MoI and farang can't become Thai. When I questioned her ethnicity, she said that Chinese can but definitely not farang! 

Love that race card don't you? It must be getting as worn out as your Thai ID card.

As for getting into a race discussion with anonymous locals at the bank...

On 12/23/2022 at 8:14 PM, Arkady said:

I have a personal account at the Big C branch but I am not a regular there or at the branch where I successfully made the withdrawal. I have had UK banks asking questions like do you know any of the staff at this branch who could verify your identity when trying to cash cheques in the old days but in Thailand they usually seem to just play by the rules.  I once withdraw nearly a million in cash as a foreigner at a branch where no one knew me for a property deal and no one batted an eyelid. As long as they cover themselves with signed copies of your ID, they usually seem happy.

"She had looked up information on the company account and found that there was a Thai director"

What is your role in the company? If you are only shareholder, you shouldn't be allowed to take any money of the account. If you have a proper role and are allowed to take money from the company account, it should say so in the company documents provided to the bank when opening the account. 

You blaming Thai Chinese for racism for this event is sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:33 PM, Neeranam said:

I'd hazard a guess that the teller was Thai Chinese. 

In my experience, they don't like us naturalized citizens.

This case sounds like pure racism to me. 

I had an issue at KTB, where they didn't believe my Thai ID was real, not helped by a Chinese Thai sitting next to me shouting out that she used to work at the MoI and farang can't become Thai. When I questioned her ethnicity, she said that Chinese can but definitely not farang! 

I would tell her to go back to China as she is low trash

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"She had looked up information on the company account and found that there was a Thai director"

What is your role in the company? If you are only shareholder, you shouldn't be allowed to take any money of the account. If you have a proper role and are allowed to take money from the company account, it should say so in the company documents provided to the bank when opening the account. 

He never blamed Thai Chinese for anything. 

Joint accts, personal or business, can be setup either as "or" type accts where either acct owner can withdraw money with only their signature or the accts can be setup as "and" accts where both acct owners must sign to withdraw.

And I'm not talking a signatory where the acct owner(s) authorize another person to withdraw funds.  That signatory's name will not appear on the acct/passbook although depending on the bank that signatory's signature may appear in the back of the passbook only when viewed under a blacklight.

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

He never blamed Thai Chinese for anything. 

"I can only think that what happened was a combination of racism, incompetence and stupidity."

"For sure the teller was Thai Chinese."

"Mister you tomollow go to own Kbank branch" in pijin English like a complete retard"

"if no one points ever points out her mistakes and her colleagues at the branch seemed as clueless as she was"

Doesn't look like nothing to me.

He hasn't explained his role in the company yet, so there isn't any clarification that she is wrong to start with.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Love that race card don't you? It must be getting as worn out as your Thai ID card.

As for getting into a race discussion with anonymous locals at the bank...

Are you suggesting I am trying to get some kind of special treatment due to my race?

The woman at the bank was sitting next to me and shouted out 'white people can't get Thai IDs'. Would you say nothing? 

Twenty years in the place and you are just finding out that ignorant and officious bank staff will stuff you around continually.

For my last extension I had planned to travel the 125km to the town where my IO is, in time to get bank statements (K-Bank) and get processed at Immigration before the latter went to lunch. . Planned to start the 2hr return trip before then to relieve the person minding the comatose MIL and animals.

Found only one staff member in the bank and she wasn't authorised to put a signature on the statement. The rest of them had gone to an early lunch together! Had to wait in the bank twiddling the thumbs (not quietly) until a manager returned.

Ended up being one of thirteen waiting for Immigration after they resumed from their lunch break. Took over 3 hours for them to see me and complete the process.

Got home around 6pm.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:19 PM, Arkady said:

In the end she was ignoring what I was saying and just burbling nonsense like "Mister you tomollow go to own Kbank branch" in pijin English like a complete retard, despite the fact she could see I am a Thai citizen and I was speaking to her in Thai that was obviously a lot better than her English. 

I hear you. I recently moved to Hua Hin and have already had a few comical situations with locals refusing to speak Thai. 

In the town house when witnessing my friend's marriage to a Thai woman who couldn't read Thai as she was brought up in the UK, the woman tried to speak to me in English, after I had checked the document in Thai and pointed out that this was the wrong name  -  it had a  Korean guy's name and my friend is from Newcastle! 

At a Honda dealer - 

How many years warranty?

Looking at my wife - 3 years 

My wife, "talk to him - he's Thai and can speak"

To me- 'clever you', to wife - 'can he read Thai too'?

Me to wife - 'let's go, I'm not buying anything from this ****'!

Last week, I went to get photocopies to get my younger daughter's UK passport. I asked for copies of my UK passport and my Thai ID. I asked, in Thai, for confirmation that they understood I wanted the front and back of my ID on the same page. She replied in broken English 'understand  immigration need'!  In Thai, 'why would immigration want a copy of my Thai ID?'  no reply

In Krung Thai bank last month, I had left my bank card in an ATM so went into the branch in Market Village.

'Passport you'

'are you immigration?'

Confused look

gave my Thai ID

got my bank card

'can I get a credit card?'

'please wait, I call head office'

5 minutes chat, confused looks

'yes, but need Work Permit'! 

Royal Hua Hin golf club -  'sorry, farang no can' after showing ID card. 

Using car park near beach, I gave my ID card to security.  When leaving - 'here's your driver's license'

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Are you suggesting I am trying to get some kind of special treatment due to my race?

No. You were suggesting that the OP's race was contributing to their difficulties at the bank.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The woman at the bank was sitting next to me and shouted out 'white people can't get Thai IDs'. Would you say nothing? 

Yes, I would totally ignore the woman. Same as I chose to ignore the old Thai lady that got very upset and shouting rude, racist things about 'all farangs' when I wore my shoes inside the waiting room at the ophthalmologists. I had missed the signage to take off one's shoes in the hallway outside. I went back outside, removed my shoes and re-entered. I apologized to the two staff members and the five other people waiting but pointedly ignored the shouty old buzzard. After half-a-minute, she stormed out of the waiting room, still ranting and raving.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:54 PM, Lacessit said:

If one goes to a branch that has not seen the depositor before, one is always going to be scrutinized more carefully.

Perhaps the real situation consists of the branch the OP goes to regularly, lets the rules slide.

I have two accounts with Kbank, have never had a problem. But then, I don't have a company or a co-signatory.

Out of Province? 

On 12/25/2022 at 12:43 PM, FritsSikkink said:

I am not a shareholder in my own name. My shareholding is held by a company. I am one of two authorised directors and either can sign for the company alone. I am the only signatory authorized to sign for the bank account.  Actually a company can appoint anyone to be the signatory of a bank account, even if they are not a shareholder, director or employee of the company.  We have a family company for which my wife is sole bank signatory at KBANK and she is neither a shareholder, director or employee but she looks after the accounts and payments. For years I was in the same position as authorized signatory at the bank but not a director or shareholder and withdrew money from the account at different branches in Bangkok with no questions asked, except for a copy of my ID. 

I was not blaming Thai Chinese. My point was that I doubted the teller would have questioned the transaction, had I been a Thai Chinese, as they are used to them running their own businesses.  I think what raised her suspicions and caused her to invent a completely spurious rule of her own was me being a farang with a Thai ID card which was probably a new situation for her and she couldn't handle it. So she just thought it would be safer for her, if she asked for the other director with a real Thai name to come and co-sign, despite not being a signatory registered with the bank.  Of course I may be wrong and she may have been blocking similar transactions attempted by Thai Chinese businessmen all day long. 

Some have suggested I could have called HO to clarify things.  I might have tried this, if it were not close to 6.00 pm but I wasn't hopeful of getting anyone intelligible at that time.  In the past I have had to do this with Bangkok Bank and SCB.  A crazy woman at Bangkok Bank was going to close my accounts right away because I didn't have a WP,  even though I had my PR documents with me.  I really needed to keep those accounts, which had standing orders, and luckily head office sorted out the crazy in a couple of minutes, even though it made her rather sulky. All I had asked her for was a new savings book to trigger her attempt to close my accounts. 

The issue I had with SCB was that they told me to close my account and open a new one because I had changed my nationality to Thai. I talked to someone at SCB HO who gave me the same "no can do " run around as the guy at the branch, which also happened to be in Big C. I didn't want to do this because I feared I might also be told to reapply for my SCB credit card and I didn't have pay slips to do this.  So I just waited for a few months until I noticed that the guy in the branch was no longer there and tried again. I approached a female staffer who couldn't have been more helpful.  Just a copy of my ID card, tabien baan abd naturalisation certificate and sign a form and my nationality was changed to Thai and a new savings book issued with my name in Thai instead of English all in a few minutes. So my first encounter at SCB was a case of a lowly level staffer in a department store branch making up his own rule on the fly and actually being supported by someone at head office which was scary.   

• Like 1
  • Love It 1