5 year driving licence renewal

bradiston

At the end of the "training" video, I got a QR code and some text saying Completeted etc, and the date. Did anyone get anything different, like a certificate of some sort? It's the only document I didn't print out when I presented mine for checking. The girl said I needed to print it out. I couldn't see any examples anywhere.

4 minutes ago, essexman said:

I had a pass certificate that I saved on a memory stick and took to a print shop.

Was it more than just a QR code and some text, with "Passport / ID No",  "Completed" and the date of completion? I can't get any other form of certification.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Here's what I have. Im hoping it's all I need.

Screenshot_2022-12-20-21-20-00-616_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

NB Even though it says "Or Capture your screen..." I was still told to print it out, which I've done. Can't take much more of this. I'll be lucky to survive the multiple return journeys out there on my scooter. ????

That's it.  Well done.  Like you I found the whole process a pain.  Going to immigration for 2 x proof of address, 2 x medical certificate.  Now this online test that has to be printed out, then half a day at the centre.  Luckily it only has to be done every five years. 

1 hour ago, essexman said:

That's it.  Well done.  Like you I found the whole process a pain.  Going to immigration for 2 x proof of address, 2 x medical certificate.  Now this online test that has to be printed out, then half a day at the centre.  Luckily it only has to be done every five years. 

Oh great! Thanks.

Yes, it's a real headbanger.  I thought about writing it up, but it grew to about 3 pages, and I haven't even got my licence yet. I followed the guide in another expat online forum. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention it here. It was good but not 100% up to date. I'd be happy to update where necessary. The mods can take it out if the link isn't allowed:

https://pcec.club/Thai-Driving-License

One edit I'd make would be to add that the LTO has a quota system, currently 70 in the morning session and 30 in the afternoon session. You really need to get there early. They open at 0830 and shut at 1430. I tried and failed to make it out there after I picked up my residence certificate at 1400 from immigration. When I went back the next day, there were already about 20 people, at 0745. But I got lucky and bagged number 3 in the queue. Also, for 5 year renewal, you don't need your country of origin driving licence.

Plus, the stuff about the video. There are points in each video, right on 7 minutes, where you have to answer a multiple choice question, and also click "Confirm" at the end of each of the 4 sections. I'm not sure what happens if you don't. The software was buggy and in fact the app got taken down. I went on their site to do it in the end.

It's not an easy ride on a scooter getting there. I think I went a different way each time. Coming back wasn't such a problem. Just Railway Road the whole way. But it took me 35-50 minutes.

Plan everything well in advance. Residence certificate (2 trips to immigration), medical certificates (painless, I used the clinic on the corner of Soi Hanuman and Jomtien 2nd Rd.), and LTO, 2 trips. The first trip they will check your paperwork, tell you what you need if you don't have it, and give you a date to return for the test etc. That's where I've got to.

Good luck. I'll post one more update when I'm done, hopefully.

Edited by bradiston
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/26/2022 at 6:46 AM, essexman said:

Actually, to date, I've only had to renew my drivers license every 6 years minus 1 day. If you wait until the day after your licence expires you get virtually an extra year. So if you license expires on Jan 1, 2023, and you renewed it the day after, it would expire on Jan 1, 2029.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Actually, to date, I've only had to renew my drivers license every 6 years minus 1 day. If you wait until the day after your licence expires you get virtually an extra year. So if you license expires on Jan 1, 2023, and you renewed it the day after, it would expire on Jan 1, 2029.

Damn', wish I'd known. Miss it by 10 days. But I have a mate who renewed his, got 5, then applied for change of address not long afterwards, and got another 5. It was in 2015, and he doesn't renew til 2026.

BTW, you can learn a bit about Thai driving habits by watching the video, if they watch the same one. Nowhere throughout the video as far as I could see, are they told to use their mirrors before making any kind of manoeuvre. Remember MSM in the UK? So sudden lefts and rights - it's your problem if you're following.

Edited by bradiston

Renewed mine last week at a Government centre - had to wait 10 days to get my proof of address from Immigration (free) and got the medical cert on a routine visit to the hospital. Went to the test centre and did the brake and traffic light test followed by an absolutely riviting video on the various sections of the traffic codes. Relatively painless and now I have it for another 5 years. if I were renewing my UK license (which of course I don't have) a renewal would be for 3 years (over 70).

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I may be wrong, but I think it goes on your birthday. If you can renew it just after your birthday you get nearly a year on top. For example, I renewed mine in October, my birthday is August, but I got 5 years and 10 months.

1 minute ago, AhFarangJa said:

I may be wrong, but I think it goes on your birthday. If you can renew it just after your birthday you get nearly a year on top. For example, I renewed mine in October, my birthday is August, but I got 5 years and 10 months.

That is correct. Your license expires on your birthday. So if you renew it even a day after your birthday, the authorities count 5 more birthdays from that date.

• Thanks 1

Finally got my new 5 year licences. The last step was fairly straightforward. Turn up for your previously obtained appointment, early if possible. I got number 1. It just means you get called first to the payment desk, and for the photo shoot.

Met some guys who paid 7k for an agent. So they only had to do one visit, ie to do the colour and reaction tests, pay, have a mugshot, and collect. All their paperwork, copies, residence certificate, medical, getting an appointment etc, taken care of.