Obtaining an international driving permit in Thailand

Klonko

I need an "international driving" (permit) based on my 5 year Thai driving licenses. DLT Banglamung told me that I have to go to DLT Chonburi. I am not keen on driving from Sattahip to Chonburi.

As per DLT website, you do not need to go personally, but can enclose an "authorise letter with fee stamp 10 bahts". If this means that you can mail the original passport, original driver's licenses and other requested documents, how safe is this to do and what would be the specific address? Would it not be better to have an agent going to DLT Chonburi for me? Do you know a reliable agent performing this service?

E.g. Italy does not accept Thai licenses without international driving permit, while Switzerland and UK are ok with the Thai license. The validity of my old Swiss license is questionable.

56 minutes ago, jvs said:

Just a question,for what countries do you need that?

I can drive all over Europe during a holiday using my Thai license.

I do not know if my Thai license was valid for driving in Portugal but I had to show an IDP for the car hire.

No IDP - no car.

• 9 months later...
On 12/24/2022 at 1:41 PM, Klonko said:

I need an "international driving" (permit) based on my 5 year Thai driving licenses. DLT Banglamung told me that I have to go to DLT Chonburi. I am not keen on driving from Sattahip to Chonburi.

As per DLT website, you do not need to go personally, but can enclose an "authorise letter with fee stamp 10 bahts". If this means that you can mail the original passport, original driver's licenses and other requested documents, how safe is this to do and what would be the specific address? Would it not be better to have an agent going to DLT Chonburi for me? Do you know a reliable agent performing this service?

I'm planning to apply for one of these permits at DLT in Bangkok.  I see the list of required documents, and I wonder:

- does "5 years Thai driving licence" mean there are still 5 years left before the licence expires?  If so it's a problem for me since mine expires in a little over one year.

- one of the required documents is "work permit" - but I don't have one, I'm here on a retirement visa/extension.   Is that a problem?

- is there an expiry date on the international permit when they issue it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, TerraplaneGuy said:

I'm planning to apply for one of these permits at DLT in Bangkok.  I see the list of required documents, and I wonder:

- does "5 years Thai driving licence" mean there are still 5 years left before the licence expires?  If so it's a problem for me since mine expires in a little over one year.

- one of the required documents is "work permit" - but I don't have one, I'm here on a retirement visa/extension.   Is that a problem?

- is there an expiry date on the international permit when they issue it?

- It mean that you are eligible to get Thai international DP as long as you are eligible to get a 5 years Thai DL. The validity of the international Thai DP is 1 year only. So as long as your 5 years Thai DL is valid, you can apply for the international one.

It might depends on the offices but for me, in Phuket, as long as you have a valid 5 years Thai DL, there are no other requirements (only regular copies passport, visa pages...and certificate of residence from immigration).

No test, nothing, just provide your original 5 years Thai DL + requested copies and photos (no digital photo on the international DP)

I got few Thai international DP in the last years, being on Non O 1 year multiple entries or the last one in June 2023 on Non O + 1 year extension retirement

1 hour ago, Klonko said:

The validity of my  international Thai DP from 2023 is 3 years (Chonburi)

Interested! Mine, issued in Phuket always been 1 year. Let me recheck the last one I got this year, it might have changed and I didn't notice it

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2023 at 7:11 AM, jphasia said:

- It mean that you are eligible to get Thai international DP as long as you are eligible to get a 5 years Thai DL. The validity of the international Thai DP is 1 year only. So as long as your 5 years Thai DL is valid, you can apply for the international one.

It might depends on the offices but for me, in Phuket, as long as you have a valid 5 years Thai DL, there are no other requirements (only regular copies passport, visa pages...and certificate of residence from immigration).

No test, nothing, just provide your original 5 years Thai DL + requested copies and photos (no digital photo on the international DP)

I got few Thai international DP in the last years, being on Non O 1 year multiple entries or the last one in June 2023 on Non O + 1 year extension retirement

Thanks didn't see your comment until now.  That's all good except that the International DP is for 1 year only.  What a silly limit.  So you have to go back every year, and it might expire while you're still travelling abroad.  Do you know if you can get the International DP at the Dept.. of Land Transport in Koh Samui?

15 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do you know if you can get the International DP at the Dept.. of Land Transport in Koh Samui?

Cannot.

I had to go to Suratthani.

Very quick once I was in the building.

Parking a car is a nightmare there. I want by motorbike. Longest journey the bike had done in 7 years.

9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Cannot.

I had to go to Suratthani.

Very quick once I was in the building.

Parking a car is a nightmare there. I want by motorbike. Longest journey the bike had done in 7 years.

Thanks.  The whole thing seems odd because from what I read, the point of an International Driving Permit is to provide an English translation for non-English language licences.  Since Thai licences already have both Thai and English, what is the purpose?

7 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks.  The whole thing seems odd because from what I read, the point of an International Driving Permit is to provide an English translation for non-English language licences.  Since Thai licences already have both Thai and English, what is the purpose?

The purpose of the IDP is to provide a translation into several languages English is only one of them. Many, not all, countries will accept a license (like the Thai one) that has English as part of the license without requiring an IDP. The U.K. accepts a full Thai license. It does not accept the temporary 2 year license and you can’t get an IDP using a temporary license.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks didn't see your comment until now.  That's all good except that the International DP is for 1 year only.  What a silly limit.  So you have to go back every year, and it might expire while you're still travelling abroad.  Do you know if you can get the International DP at the Dept.. of Land Transport in Koh Samui?

Yes Klonko above mentioned that his DP is valid for 3 years. I rechecked mine and confirm it's 1 year validity. It might depend on DLT offices.

I don't know about Koh Samui as I am doing in Phuket everytime. 

20 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

• For the last 7 years I have simply used my Thai drivers license everywhere.  USA, France, Germany, the UK, Canada and Mexico not a problem one. Why the need for this outdated document?

2 hours ago, marin said:
  • For the last 7 years I have simply used my Thai drivers license everywhere.  USA, France, Germany, the UK, Canada and Mexico not a problem one. Why the need for this outdated document?

The province of Ontario now has a law that limits use of foreign licenses to 90 days from last entry into Canada.  If staying longer you need an IDP which makes no sense, I think, but that’s the law.  

3 hours ago, marin said:

Some states in the US require the IDP in addition to one's foreign drivers license. Not having an IDP could potentially void the insurance of the vehicle if driven in one of those states. For this reason some rental companies will insist on an IDP.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jphasia said:

Yes Klonko above mentioned that his DP is valid for 3 years. I rechecked mine and confirm it's 1 year validity. It might depend on DLT offices.

I don't know about Koh Samui as I am doing in Phuket everytime. 

There are two major road conventions that different countries have entered into.

The Geneva Convention on Road Traffic is the older of the two and an IDP is issued for a one-year period for use in the countries that have ratified. The US has ratified this convention.

The Vienna Convention is newer and one gets a an IDP with a three-year validity. The US does not observe this convention but many European countries and others do.

The DLT will ask which country or countries you plan to visit and will then issue the relevant IDP, either per Vienna or Geneva convention and your IDP will have either a one-year or three-year validity. I suppose it would be possible to need two IDPs in some situations for trips involving multiple countries.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thumbs Up 1

The OP might considering taking a taxi, bolt, or a car from Nam or Meow for the round trip.

I hired Meow to take me to Sriracha Immigration office and return. She waited while I did my business and then delivered me back home. An expensive option but probably cheaper than using an agent.